City Limits Sheffield 10th April

Hi people for those that went to the city limits on Friday what a soul night over 300 people in a dance floor to die for no talc needed. Excellent sound system and good bar prices alot of people came far and wide for this soul night and what a night it was it had a feeling in the air to me of a soul weekender.

So I would like to say well dont to event organisers and DJ'S Tony Barraclough and Melvin Walker and the guest DJ'S Ray copley and Barry Holland (KGB)

P.S. Word is there is gonna be another room open at the next one for even more top sounds ! :(

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 29
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great venue but full of locals ,who were enjoying the motown ,glasses in hand on dance floor and i saw at least 2 handbags on the floor.IMO more motown then northern played which kept the dance floor full .And you had to que for ages at the bar if you wanted a drink.After speaking to friends that had travelled up to Sheffield for the nite they were of the same opinion most were locals there for the motown and for the most they got what they paid for.

was up from Sunny Kent for the weekend so we made our way over to City limits in the evening. Fantastic venue (ideally situated for an All-Nighter)with loads of potential, great attendance for the first night, a few first night hitches but this event could really take off as it has a second room that Steve kindly showed me. I am sure the next one will be great.

was up from Sunny Kent for the weekend so we made our way over to City limits in the evening. Fantastic venue (ideally situated for an All-Nighter)with loads of potential, great attendance for the first night, a few first night hitches but this event could really take off as it has a second room that Steve kindly showed me. I am sure the next one will be great.

Yes there was one or two problems with the decks I think. But I am sure this will be sorted out for the next one. thumbsup.gif

Guest Tony B

Yes there was one or two problems with the decks I think. But I am sure this will be sorted out for the next one. thumbsup.gif

[/quote

HI,THIS WAS OUR FIRST EVENT AND THERES ALWAYS GOING TO BE A FEW PROBLEMS. PROBLEMS LIKE THE BAR,TOO MUCH MOTOWN?? AND SOUND PROBLEMS NOW AND AGAIN.I HAVE TOOK THESE ISSUES ON BOARD AND THEY WILL BE SORTED FOR THE NEXT EVENT(8th May)AS FOR THE GUY WHO LEFT AT 11.30 I,M SORRY ABOUT THAT BECAUSE MOST OF BARRYS SPOT AND DEFFINATELY MINE WAS ALL NORTHERN, SO MAYBE HE LEFT ABIT EARLY I THINK? ANYWAY I WUD LOVE THE CHANCE TO PUT THESE ISSUES RIGHT AS A 100 MORE PEOPLE TURNED UP THAN WE ANTICIPATED,BUT OBVIOUSLY THATS A GOOD THING.WE WILL CARRY THIS NIGHT ON AND WE WILL GO FROM STRENGTH TO STRENGTH,LATER OPENING A MODERN ROOM DOWNSTAIRS(WHICH WILL ALSO SOLVE THE BAR PROBLEM) AS FOR THE "HANDBAGGERS" YOU NEVER KNOW WHOSE GOING TO TURN UP

SO GIVE US A CHANCE IT WAS THE FIRST ONE,THINGS WILL GET BETTER! AS WE ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT OUR SOUL MUSIC!

TONY B (BARRACLOUGH) KEEPING THE FAITH!

Couldn't agree more we stayed nearly till the end and the Northern sounds that were played were great the sound system became consistent, the one hick-up I heard with the decks just made us smile and carry on. Hand baggers are often the bread and butter of events like this until the Soul fraternity decide to support it. I am sure this event will get beater and better, but only with the SUPPORT of the soul fans.

If during the night something is bothering you, just go and see the promoter and I know they will be only too pleased to help thumbsup.gif

I enjoyed it, but there are a couple of posts that need a counter:

In contrast to soulontops rave review of the dancefloor, I found the rather dubious claim of 'a dancefloor to die for, no talc needed' needed a bit of translation for people who weren't actually there and might come next time on the strength of that review:

'Shiny, new, sticky dancefloor. Nice to look at while standing still. Talc absolutely essential, but banned, and removed from peoples bags.'*

and @Moodysoul1

There were plenty of non-soulies in (one of the reasons I enjoyed it), but the DJs came down sharpish (politely) on anyone new to the game taking drinks onto the floor - I thought it was well disciplined. I've been to a few town centre 'Northern Soul' nightclubs where DJs/promoters say nothing, and after a while you leave in frustration, so it made a nice change.

Music policy (at least after 11 when I got there) seemed to be mostly played out crossover and northern/motown. Bog standard playlist I thought, but very popular and kept the dancefloor full.

It was nice to see Blackpool dance comp winner Keith strutting his fancy stuff. Some nice individual dancing.

Anyway, great venue, lots of potential. Very successful first night. Please get rid of the talc ban* (sorry if I was misinformed), or explain it/correct me, and a bit more imagination in the playlist, maybe?

*to be fair, I didn't actually see this, but was told it was happening by grumpy soulies when I got in.

Guest Tony B

In contrast to soulontops rave review of the dancefloor, I found the rather dubious claim of 'a dancefloor to die for, no talc needed' needed a bit of translation for people who weren't actually there and might come next time on the strength of that review:

'Shiny, new, sticky dancefloor. Nice to look at while standing still. Talc absolutely essential, but banned, and removed from peoples bags.'*

and @Moodysoul1

There were plenty of non-soulies in (one of the reasons I enjoyed it), but the DJs came down sharpish (politely) on anyone new to the game taking drinks onto the floor - I thought it was well disciplined. I've been to a few town centre 'Northern Soul' nightclubs where DJs/promoters say nothing, and after a while you leave in frustration, so it made a nice change.

Music policy (at least after 11 when I got there) seemed to be mostly played out crossover and northern/motown. Bog standard playlist I thought, but very popular and kept the dancefloor full.

It was nice to see Blackpool dance comp winner Keith strutting his fancy stuff. Some nice individual dancing.

Anyway, great venue, lots of potential. Very successful first night. Please get rid of the talc ban* (sorry if I was misinformed), or explain it/correct me, and a bit more imagination in the playlist, maybe?

*to be fair, I didn't actually see this, but was told it was happening by grumpy soulies when I got in.

THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK GUYS, AND BE ASSURED ALL THESE POINTS WILL BE ADDRESSED.

CHEERS TONY B AND BIG CLIFF

Edited by Tony B

and @Moodysoul1

May have sounded over top about the dancefloor but with it been at a dance school you expect it to be good I found it excellent I must admit it was not very good at the start of the night but by the end of the night the dance floor seemed good.

May have sounded over top about the dancefloor but with it been at a dance school you expect it to be good I found it excellent I must admit it was not very good at the start of the night but by the end of the night the dance floor seemed good.

I think that is fair.

I also found it got easier to dance on as the night wore on, and the floor 'warmed up' (though I struggled to convince one frustrated soulie friend to 'have a go now'). Talc would make it a lot easier though. 

Sorry, you've misunderstood...

I left at about 12.30, but I'd had 'enough' by 11.30 - and by that I mean things like "Up The Ladder To The Roof", "Give Me Just A Little More Time" and other Motown 'Pop' records

Sounds like that's my fault then Joe !

I played the 10 till 11 spot so if you'd had enough by 11.30 must be my choice of records you did'nt like !

I did'nt hear either of those records you mentioned but just remember it was the first night and it was a sensible choice to play save !

See my playlist from that night and in order of play, I tried to give a little for all !

1. Frankie Beverly - If Thats What you Wanted

2. Edwin Starr - My Weakness Is You

3. Isley Brothers - Why When The Love As Gone

4. Glady's Knight - If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love

5. J J Barnes - Please Let Me In

6. Bettye Swan - Kiss My Love Goodbye

7. Clarence Carter - Messin With My Mind

8. Sandra Richardson - Stay Here With Me

9. Fantastic Puzzles - Come Back

10. Tyrone Barkley - Man Of Value

11. Jan Jones - Independant Woman

12. Luther - Don't Wanna Be A Fool

13. Denise Lasalle - Her I Am Again

14. Edwin Starr - I Want My Baby Back

15. Gayle Adams - Baby I Need Your Loving

16. Sister Sledge - Love Don't You Go Through No Changes

17. Otis Redding - Loving By The Pound

18. Gladys Knight - No One Could Love You More

19. Isley Brothers - My Love Is Your Love

20. Marvin & Tammi - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

21. Sam & Dave - Soothe Me

22. Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You

Apologies for the Sound problems and the Bar, Plus we did try to get people off the dance floor with handbags or drinks !

It was a pleasure to do a spot for Tony who IMO brought us a great night and I had no end of people coming up to me saying what a great night they had also, so we should not let a few bad comments spoil it - Roll on the 8th May.

Thankyou all who supported us : Ray Copley

Guest Tony B

TONY BARRACLOUGH PLAYLISTS FOR CITY LIMITS OPENING NIGHT 12-1AM SPOT

1. NEVER FOR ME: MILLIONARES

2. YES,I LOVE YOU BABY: THE DYNAMICS

3. I NEVER KNEW: EDDIE FOSTER

4. SEND HIM BACK: POINTER SISTERS

5. NAME IT YOU GOT IT: MICKEY MOONSHINE

6. OUR LOVE IS IN THE POCKET: DARRELL BANKS

7. I'VE GOT THE NEED: SPOOKY AND SUE

8. THE NEXT IN LINE: HOAGYS LANDS

9. MIGHTY LOVER: THE MIGHTY LOVERS

10. I CAN SEE HIM LOVIN YOU:ANDERSON BROTHERS

11. LUCKY TO BE LOVED BY YOU: WILLIE HUTCH( GREAT VOCALIST)

12. YOU'VE BEEN CHEATIN: THE IMPRESSIONS

13.MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE: ISLEY BROTHERS

14. MOODY WOMAN: JERRY BUTLER

15. I REALLY LOVE YOU: THE TOMANGOES

16. WHERE IS THE LOVE: BETTY WRIGHT

17. CAN'T SEEM TO GET YOU OUT OF MY MIND: FOUR TOPS(FAV)

18. AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH: JR WALKER AND THE ALL STARS

19. LOVE FACTORY: ELOISE LAWS

20. WALK AWAY FROM LOVE: MR DAVID RUFFIN(THE VOICE HIMSELF ! )

KEEPIN THE FAITH, TONY B AND BIG CLIFF ( CITY LIMITS SOUL NIGHTS)

Edited by Tony B
Guest hurryup

Sorry, you've misunderstood...

I left at about 12.30, but I'd had 'enough' by 11.30 - and by that I mean things like "Up The Ladder To The Roof", "Give Me Just A Little More Time" and other Motown 'Pop' records

In the short time that I've been on the scene, I've found that every new venue that I've attended, has had it's teething problems.

Yes, the dance floor felt "sticky" but perhaps all it needs is buffing up - no big deal. Look at Blackpool, it was described as the best in the country, I personally thought it was terrible.

City Limits was advertised as Northern Soul & Motown so if you don't like Motown, perhaps you shouldn't go :lol:

I thought the venue was perfect for a Northern & Motown night, the room being a really good size Unfortunately, the bar did let it down but next time the other room will be open which, as previously stated, has another bar.

All in all, there was a good crowd in and we really enjoyed the night, will definitely go again :lol:

City Limits was advertised as Northern Soul & Motown so if you don't like Motown, perhaps you shouldn't go whistling.gif

Or perhaps if I want to hear the same old Motown tracks reeled out time after time, I should pull out one of the 150+ Motown albums off my record room shelves, and save myself the four quid admission?

In the short time that I've been on the scene, I've found that every new venue that I've attended, has had it's teething problems.

True, and this was a very good start, but it was popular enough to withstand a few early questions.

Yes, the dance floor felt "sticky" but perhaps all it needs is buffing up - no big deal.

If nobody tells them, how are they going to know?

Look at Blackpool, it was described as the best in the country, I personally thought it was terrible.

What's that got to do with it? It was terrible. They were lying.

City Limits was advertised as Northern Soul & Motown so if you don't like Motown, perhaps you shouldn't go

This is advertised as a rare and northern soul forum, so if you like Motown perhaps you shouldn't be posting here.

I thought the venue was perfect for a Northern & Motown night, the room being a really good size Unfortunately, the bar did let it down but next time the other room will be open which, as previously stated, has another bar.

All in all, there was a good crowd in and we really enjoyed the night, will definitely go again

There was a superb crowd in, but I spoke to several disgruntled soulies who were unimpressed. I thought they were being too negative, because I enjoyed myself, but they had legitimate questions/criticisms that were raised here.

Can't beleive what I keep reading :

This site is for any person young or old into the " Soul Scene " regardless of what style of soul floats your boat !

Perhaps you are reading just a leedle bit too literally? I reworded a silly post to highlight the silliness.

Look:

City Limits was advertised as Northern Soul & Motown so if you don't like Motown, perhaps you shouldn't go

This is advertised as a rare and northern soul forum, so if you like Motown perhaps you shouldn't be posting here.

You see? You see what I did there?

Lighten up everybody !

Why? This is a forum, and there's been nothing nasty. Perhaps you are overestimating our sensitivity on top of misreading my post. I've not been offended by anything here.

1st night, Few teething problems, 300 people ! yes bar could'nt cope !

How many venue's in Sheffield get that support so if you enjoyed it please continue to support it, it will get better !

Agreed. A highly successful first night with a couple of issues. Though, I think I and others made that reasonably clear already, and as I'm starting to repeat myself I will say goodbye to this thread.

ps. Bold font does not necessarily equal importance of content. And it's a PITA when quoting.

Edited by spirit
Guest hurryup

Can't beleive what I keep reading :

This site is for any person young or old into the " Soul Scene " regardless of what style of soul floats your boat !

Perhaps you are reading just a leedle bit too literally? I reworded a silly post to highlight the silliness.

Look:

You see? You see what I did there?

Why? This is a forum, and there's been nothing nasty. Perhaps you are overestimating our sensitivity on top of misreading my post. I've not been offended by anything here.

Agreed. A highly successful first night with a couple of issues. Though, I think I and others made that reasonably clear already, and as I'm starting to repeat myself I will say goodbye to this thread.

ps. Bold font does not necessarily equal importance of content. And it's a PITA when quoting.

Good, bye :lol:whistling.gif