Original Vinyl Only ?

Guest Leigh J

It's actually how many are in the venue - how many people there are on the dancefloor & how many people are enjoying themselves - that's what counts - because that is what realistically keeps the scene going.

Matrix numbers & runout grooves never got people on a dancefloor - think you will find the sound coming out of the speakers ultimately does that.

let me buy you a drink! most sensible post of the whole thread, nice one

Social source share

• Replies 391
  • Views 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The first part is correct - the second metaphor doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and it's not like you to swear ohmy.gif

Swear!!!!!....just a tiny bit fed up with the same old arguments on here Pete, and if you read my post again it makes sense in deffence of original vinyl only, far too many people move the goalposts to cover their own backs on this topic, often the people who fall well short record wise as DJ's seem to think it's ok to take short cuts with what they put in their boxes, would it not be fair to suggest if you want to become a rare soul DJ then you should have the tools of the trade?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Swear!!!!!....just a tiny bit fed up with the same old arguments on here Pete, and if you read my post again it makes sense in deffence of original vinyl only, far too many people move the goalposts to cover their own backs on this topic, often the people who fall well short record wise as DJ's seem to think it's ok to take short cuts with what they put in their boxes, would it not be fair to suggest if you want to become a rare soul DJ then you should have the tools of the trade?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yes, definitely. But at the local working mens club I don't think it makes any difference, people are just after a night out listening to music.

Social source share

If venues advertise as Original Vinyl Only should venues state that they they dont ?

I think you'll find they advertise they play 100% vinyl only

what ever that means ?

I think i Know

And when i travel 30/40 miles to a Soul Nite and pay £5 x2

Yes i do expect to here ovo

End Ov.

Steve a.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

if you don't like the format that some of these dj's play out on then don't support the venues

in a lot of case's i think it's just a case of sour grapes, accusing certain venues and dj's of playing non original format stuff just because you or your mates can't get a spot wink.gif

i was a night a while back when a fairly unknown dj was spinning some lovely stuff when i over heard 2 fcuk wits saying "this must be a boot he hasn't got an original etc etc " in a spiteful and nasty way that seems to be the norm on the soul scene at present, i said "why don't you go up and ask the dj " (the records were originals) yes.gif

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Guest Simon

Yes, definitely. But at the local working mens club I don't think it makes any difference, people are just after a night out listening to music.

Blimey, i ain't been on here for a good while, i log on in the first time in ages & guess what the first topic is!

I totally agree with the above statement, it all depends what kind of night your at.

I've djayed & attended all sorts of different nights & styles, if it's a serious NS night then it's original vinyl because that's what the night's all about, if you're spinning a few discs in your local then who really cares, it's just a bit of fun.

One thing that really amazes me are djs who spin original vinyl & spend lots of money on it but think nothing of winding their records back whilst using a ropey old stylus, what a waste of a decent record.

Simon

Social source share

Guest kerby

nobody has mentioned on this thread , the sellers and some djs that make a living selling re issues & bootlegs some even reisue them on the original labels . iv,e spent hours asking questions about tunes iv,e bought or wanted to buy . even got to the stage where iv,e asked djs to look through my play box to see if there is anything dodgy in there . but on the weekend when i go out i am a dancer & the last thing i want to do is come off the floor and see what label the tune is on . i even got to the stage where i have been avoiding some of the established venues in the area where cds & seconds are played by certain djs , but at the end of the day my freinds go there and we have a great time . i know that my play boxes are all original and thats my piece of mind .

mart ( kerby )

Social source share

Fair enough Pete, I can't be bothered to argue with you mate too busy in the garden mate...now where's me original Hamilton paint brush, had it since 1971 you know....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

ph34r.gif A Hamburg museum has closed an exhibition of Chinese terracotta warriors after it discovered the figures were fakes.(14 Dec 2007) Visitors who previously viewed the exhibition are being offered a refund. ph34r.gif

:lol: One of India's most popular artists says he visited an exhibition of his works in Delhi only to discover many of the paintings were fakes :lol:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I agree with you to a point , But when there are so many out there with great collections of proper records why are so many playing pressings ?

Social source share

:thumbsup: Art Magazine Accuses Collector Forged Paintings at Forthcoming Dali Exhibition? In its latest edition the magazine claimed the exhibition in question was notorious among art experts for its inclusion of several forged paintings.(25.8.2000) :thumbup:

Is music Art ?? I think so!!

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

if they play pressings,boots carvers and cd's and are happy doing so.....then let the punters pay to get in using monopoly money ......if one is ok then so should the other kfc tezza :thumbup::thumbup: ........how about just naming dj's and venues that allow this sort of practise......instead of just moaning about it :thumbsup:

Trouble is people lie.

I made a comment about a venue I used to attend where the residents play boots etc and the promoter just barefaced denyed it. Even though both him and another dj there braggs about the fact he doesnt give a s**t what format the music is played on.

Trust me if you 'out' people you will make more enemies than friends. The people who attend this do will shout ovo on here but in reality obviously dont care. I don't attend anymore but I an in a minority of one! (Well 2 if you count the other half!! lol)

Helen

Social source share

Guest brian walker

youre all missing the point ,its all about the actual music not a paper label .the artists dont give a toss what colour the label is.do you go to venues to dance or to talk about record labels like nerds? get real or youre all becoming stamp collectors

Social source share

Guest kerby

I agree with you to a point , But when there are so many out there with great collections of proper records why are so many playing pressings ?

because they are there to buy . all over ebay and for sale at venues .

Social source share

Should venues that play pressings state the fact that they do this on there flyers ?

What do you reckon ?

This issue has been raised many times here on SS, it's up there with Oldies vs Rare Sh**e,

Ian Levine, Simon Soussan and Dave Rimmer's hairdresser.................

:thumbsup:

Social source share

youre all missing the point ,its all about the actual music not a paper label .the artists dont give a toss what colour the label is.do you go to venues to dance or to talk about record labels like nerds? get real or youre all becoming stamp collectors

Just wondered? As for Original Artwork, is it just the image that counts??

Social source share

Best post so far lets just enjoy the music for what it is. I think we should all leave this disscusion behind.

We will all never agree on this topic thats why the soul scene is so different in places.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Is it ok to play CD's then ?

Social source share

Is music Art ?? I think so!!

I agree, Soul Music is definately an artform, but the physical vinyl record is only a carrier or media.

The music itself is no less a work of art if played on any other legitimate media.

Of course, if one insists on the absolute original format then, short of having the artist in the room with a live performance, DJ's would need to go back to the original studio Master tapes.

Reckon that'll be the next big thing - Original Master Tape Only = OMTO.

Yep, works for me.

KTF OMTO

Sean

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I think that says it all

Social source share

At the end of the day, I suppose the depth of your soul music addiction is a personal thing. We are all addicted, but some of us more so than others.

People get what they want out of the soul scene, and rightly so!

Some just want to go and dance. Some just want to go and sit. Some want to go and dance (or sit) and collect the tunes they dance (or sit) to and couldn't give a back drop what format it's on. Others collect original vinyl only.

For me it is ovo because integrity is what it's all about for me.

Others feel differently but hey ho, you do what 'sits right' with you.

Collect music on what ever format you want. But if you are going to DJ, please have some integrity.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

No I dont think you should play CD's I think they should play 8 track instead :thumbsup:

I dont see any difference between playing pressings or CD's , the punters are still getting ripped off

Social source share

I dont see any difference between playing pressings or CD's , the punters are still getting ripped off

Maybe alot of people aren't so bothered or uptight about it I think lifes to short to be worrying about stuff like this

a lot of people just want to go out and dance there ass off after working all week

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I think you will find collectors of stamps collect original stamps.

Oh, and I go to venues to dance like a nerd :thumbup:

Social source share

So lets get rid of the Decks then, and replace them with CD players

if it don't matter

sorted :thumbsup:

Steve a.

Social source share

I agree, Soul Music is definately an artform, but the physical vinyl record is only a carrier or media.

The music itself is no less a work of art if played on any other legitimate media.

Of course, if one insists on the absolute original format then, short of having the artist in the room with a live performance, DJ's would need to go back to the original studio Master tapes.

Yep, works for me.

KTF OMTO

:thumbup:

Sean

Now I know it's impossible to achieve that in some cases (God bless them and may they RIP) but if you pay's you're money you wouldn't expect to turn up and watch the local vicar all dolled up to suit doing his impersonation of said artist would ya? :thumbsup:

Social source share

My thoughts on this and it's a subject I try to avoid posting about because I really, really hate the playing of boots........if every soul venue (inc local 'working men club' nights) insisted that DJs used original vinyl only then maybe all the people who want to DJ would have to actually start thinking about what to play rather than churning out the same old same old 'big money oldies' on Stardust 45s. Take away all those boots/reissues then every DJ would instead be looking to buy original records that are within their own financial limits, and taking pride in the discovery of a £5 cheapie that packs the dancefloor or reactivating a record that hasn't been played in decades.

It's the acceptance of DJs playing boots that has led to the stagnant oldies scene thriving, no need for DJs to hunt for something different when they can just stick their Mel Britt pressing on the deck. It's the passion of OVO DJs and collectors that leads to the discovery of new sounds but it seems that OVO DJs are a limited and dying breed...playing at venues with 50 people in whilst the DJ with a box full of boots gets praise for his 'skills' at keeping the dance floor busy at a venue with 200+ people in. If you haven't got enough passion for the music to dig deep into records to find that something special and make it your personal play then f*ck off and take the record decks with you as you leave......I'd rather just sit and listen to a CD compilation.

Adam.

Social source share

Maybe alot of people aren't so bothered or uptight about it I think lifes to short to be worrying about stuff like this

a lot of people just want to go out and dance there ass off after working all week

With respect, the issue is not with the people going out and dancing their ass off after working all week.

The issue is with people DJing with non originals.

Anyway, you seem pretty bothered to me for someone who isn't so bothered :thumbsup:

Social source share

How?

THEY SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME.

I can't ever remember going home from a venue and saying "Well that was a great night but it was ruined for me when somebody played a reissue, completely bought the night down and ruined the evening, damn those reissues"

Social source share

My thoughts on this and it's a subject I try to avoid posting about because I really, really hate the playing of boots........if every soul venue (inc local 'working men club' nights) insisted that DJs used original vinyl only then maybe all the people who want to DJ would have to actually start thinking about what to play rather than churning out the same old same old 'big money oldies' on Stardust 45s. Take away all those boots/reissues then every DJ would instead be looking to buy original records that are within their own financial limits, and taking pride in the discovery of a £5 cheapie that packs the dancefloor or reactivating a record that hasn't been played in decades.

It's the acceptance of DJs playing boots that has led to the stagnant oldies scene thriving, no need for DJs to hunt for something different when they can just stick their Mel Britt pressing on the deck. It's the passion of OVO DJs and collectors that leads to the discovery of new sounds but it seems that OVO DJs are a limited and dying breed...playing at venues with 50 people in whilst the DJ with a box full of boots gets praise for his 'skills' at keeping the dance floor busy at a venue with 200+ people in. If you haven't got enough passion for the music to dig deep into records to find that something special and make it your personal play then f*ck off and take the record decks with you as you leave......I'd rather just sit and listen to a CD compilation.

Adam.

Says the voice of experience.

Yes lets all play £5 crap that nobodys interested in, but thats ok, it's on an original label.

Oh hang on, what about this forgotten oldie, I tell you why it's forgotten, because it's f&cking shit that's why.

Social source share

How?

I can't ever remember going home from a venue and saying "Well that was a great night but it was ruined for me when somebody played a reissue, completely bought the night down and ruined the evening, damn those reissues"

Yes damm those infernal reissue's :thumbsup:

Social source share

Adam.

Exactley, well put agree totally

Steve.

Social source share

Not missing the point at all.

True, it's about the music.One problem tho',,,this scene can never seperate the "just a paper label" argument.

Its built on the very opposite.

Me, i love dancing and talking about record labels like a nerd.If it wasn't for the stamp collectors of the scene,the real collector/dj's we'd all still be dancing to Tainted Love.

btw,,,not all OV means rareity, and people with their trainspotting manuals out.

One last thing....if dancing to a very rare record,that's unique to our scene,doesn't do it for you..............

Social source share

Says the voice of experience.

Yes lets all play £5 crap that nobodys interested in, but thats ok, it's on an original label.

Oh hang on, what about this forgotten oldie, I tell you why it's forgotten, because it's f&cking shit that's why.

Says the voice of someone who must have gone deaf if thats what you think about the huge number of quality £5 records.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Yep, works for me.

KTF OMTO

:thumbup:

Sean

Hm... The original 'carrier' of the artistic output of a painting is a canvas which is normally produced just once for the enjoyment of its owner.

The original 'carrier' of music is vinyl (ok. new stuff...CD) produced in different quantities for the enjoyment of its owner (or people who happen to be there at the same time :thumbup: i.e. Club).

I guess the absolute original format would be the idea in the writers head.

Wow, that would be great!!! People coming together to think about different tracks at an allnighter.

Northern Soul Thinking Allnighter No huming please :thumbup::thumbup:

I stick with OVO :thumbsup:

Social source share

How?

c'mon Pete.Say you go to a venue and someone plays Inticers on Soul Galore.

Surely someone is bound to say " Thats not an original".The question is why play it when you can play other very worthy originals.?

Social source share

Says the voice of someone who must have gone deaf if thats what you think about the huge number of quality £5 records.

I know there are hundreds, thousands of them - but they are not going to fill dancefloors. It's bedroom listening material. If they were floorfillers they wouldn't have stayed at £5, and if they are only £5 it means they are probably very common and outside the 'rare northern soul' category.

p.s. how did you know I'd gone deaf?

Social source share

How?

Huh... don't forget, you are also selling original platters. If people stop buying them, the price/ markup goes down.... If you sit in tree and look around, sure all apples may look pretty much the same but don't cut of the tree branch underneath you! :thumbsup:

Social source share

c'mon Pete.Say you go to a venue and someone plays Inticers on Soul Galore.

Surely someone is bound to say " Thats not an original".The question is why play it when you can play other very worthy originals.?

But if someone asks for it, you know the dj isn't going to have the original anyway, there's only about 5 copies of it, so it's a case of play the pressing and satisfy your customer i.e. the bloke who paid to get in, or don't play it and it'll never get heard anywhere.

Though in the case of The Inticers, that's not actually a bad thing.

Social source share

Huh... don't forget, you are also selling original platters. If people stop buying them, the price/ markup goes down.... If you sit in tree and look around, sure all apples may look pretty much the same but don't cut of the tree branch underneath you! :thumbsup:

With some crazy people paying £100 for a pressing of the Yum Yums, it doesn't seem to matter if it's real or not!

Social source share

Exactley, well put agree totally

Steve.

What if someone put a full colour absolutely perfect photocopy of an original over the top of a Stardust pressing to make it look like an original, and nobody could tell even if looking over the decks. I ask you once again, what difference does it make to the sound thats coming out of the speakers? It seems the only thing that a lot of you want is for the dj's playing these records to go to confessional and pray for forgiveness for playing reissues.

Get over it, it's supposed to be about having fun and enjoying music.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!