Record Thieves

Hi all

I went to Crossfire yesterday and put my records out for sale.

It was too dark though really.

I did not see anybody look at the records all night except one guy I know who looked at my rare northern section. The rest of the sections remained un-looked at.

So it came as a total surprise when I noticed a handful of records missing from the front of my 70's/80's box.

Someone must have just lifted the 1st 20 or so records + a couple from the front of the Motown box.

So a bit of a shit evening out for me.

Below is a list of what was taken as far as I can ascertain. Although I doubt they'll show up through the usual channels if anyoneis offered them or sees them on ebay let me know.

I'm sure there'll be those out there who have a grudge against me who'll silently chuckle but it does piss me off. I 'm not like a high street store who can take the odd theft and probably expect / accept it. I'm a one man band often struggling to pay the bills so it really pisses me off to lose a stack like this.

LAMONT DOZIER Fish aint bitin' ABC Demo

BETTY WRIGHT If you love me like you say you love me Alston

CHAPTER 8 lets get together Ariola

ARETHA FRANKLIN Integrity Arista Dutch copy

JEFF PERRY Love don't come no stronger Arista Demo

AL HUDSON & SOUL PARTNERS My number one need Atco Demo

AL HUDSON & SOUL PARTNERS When I'm loving you Atco Demo

SONS OF ROBIN STONE Got to get you back Atco

VIVIAN REED Save your love for me Atco

JACKIE MOORE Both ends against the middle Atlantic

THE SPINNERS I'll be around Atlantic

DEREK MARTIN Moving hands of time Buttercup

GAYLE ADAMS Baby I need your loving Prelude Demo

CHARLES DRAIN Is this really love RCA

SOOP & CO feat PATRICE MONCELL Just because you're a lover Soops

HENRY RHODES Hold on Tapestry 1001

PAT & THE BLENDERS Don't say you love me TSOP

THE MIRACLES I love your baby Chess

EARL VAN DYKE 6 by 6 Soul

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi all

I went to Crossfire yesterday and put my records out for sale.

It was too dark though really.

I did not see anybody look at the records all night except one guy I know who looked at my rare northern section. The rest of the sections remained un-looked at.

So it came as a total surprise when I noticed a handful of records missing from the front of my 70's/80's box.

Someone must have just lifted the 1st 20 or so records + a couple from the front of the Motown box.

So a bit of a shit evening out for me.

Below is a list of what was taken as far as I can ascertain. Although I doubt they'll show up through the usual channels if anyoneis offered them or sees them on ebay let me know.

I'm sure there'll be those out there who have a grudge against me who'll silently chuckle but it does piss me off. I 'm not like a high street store who can take the odd theft and probably expect / accept it. I'm a one man band often struggling to pay the bills so it really pisses me off to lose a stack like this.

LAMONT DOZIER Fish aint bitin' ABC Demo

BETTY WRIGHT If you love me like you say you love me Alston

CHAPTER 8 lets get together Ariola

ARETHA FRANKLIN Integrity Arista Dutch copy

JEFF PERRY Love don't come no stronger Arista Demo

AL HUDSON & SOUL PARTNERS My number one need Atco Demo

AL HUDSON & SOUL PARTNERS When I'm loving you Atco Demo

SONS OF ROBIN STONE Got to get you back Atco

VIVIAN REED Save your love for me Atco

JACKIE MOORE Both ends against the middle Atlantic

THE SPINNERS I'll be around Atlantic

DEREK MARTIN Moving hands of time Buttercup

GAYLE ADAMS Baby I need your loving Prelude Demo

CHARLES DRAIN Is this really love RCA

SOOP & CO feat PATRICE MONCELL Just because you're a lover Soops

HENRY RHODES Hold on Tapestry 1001

PAT & THE BLENDERS Don't say you love me TSOP

THE MIRACLES I love your baby Chess

EARL VAN DYKE 6 by 6 Soul

I hope you catch the bastards and slit their throats. There's no need for it they're SCUM :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks Lenny

I'm sure they'll end up on ebay one day !

Then I'll never be able to prove ownership

Rob

I know some people don't agree with this, but I mark all my records with one of those ultraviolet markers.

As a rule you don't notice it with the naked eye, but it is there non the less just in case the unthinkable happens.

I understand it is a little different when you are selling instead of collecting. Might be a good move however, especially with more expensive sales.

All the best.

Joan

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

:Pthe worst thing is these low life come up to you and are talk to you as if there your mate, does my head in hope you find out who or his good luck regards johno

if you do find out who they are, they should be named and shamed the shitheads, and given a damn good slap!

hope you get them back thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Jesus! I wasn't even aware this sort of thing happened!!...for a music scene that is based on a passion for great music and mutual respect of collectors I find it inconceivable that some scally would nick records...and it saddens me to hear it

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

I know some people don't agree with this, but I mark all my records with one of those ultraviolet markers.

As a rule you don't notice it with the naked eye, but it is there non the less just in case the unthinkable happens.

I understand it is a little different when you are selling instead of collecting. Might be a good move however, especially with more expensive sales.

All the best.

Joan

It's a difficult one, if you mark them, they are de-valued but how else do you prove ownership, unless they are all found together.

Good luck in getting them back.

We used to write on ours many moons ago, when they were sooooo much cheaper.

So if anyone comes across any with Cola on, they were once mine... :thumbup: (not stolen, just sold without my permission)... rolleyes.gif

Some prat I went out with wrote his name on my records... :P

Social source share

It's unreal that people would do this I collect records and would never dream of doing this. I hope the SCUM are tracked down and killed angry.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

It's a difficult one, if you mark them, they are de-valued but how else do you prove ownership, unless they are all found together.

That is why I said some people don't agree with it. Then again, you can't see it without an ultra violet light.

Anyway, I don't sell my records, therefore it isn't a problem.

Social source share

Joan,

Hey mate thats out of order, for them to target your or anyone elses boxes and once again we see the taboo broken, it was always the worst possible act to carry out, the selling of crap gear or dodgy counterfiet tunes was a chance you took when buying, but to rob records is twatish'ness of the highest order.

Hope the bastards fingers drop off, wish he had knicked 'em out of my box, he would have been dissapointed, crap and craper, followwed by shite.

Reminds me of you once telling me of a sales list a friend of ours put out for records he never had in the first place....remember that eh!

All the best ...Harpo.....and Sandi xxxxx

Edited by harpo1
Social source share

Jesus! I wasn't even aware this sort of thing happened!!...for a music scene that is based on a passion for great music and mutual respect of collectors I find it inconceivable that some scally would nick records...and it saddens me to hear it

Been going on for years Beeks unfortunately. Always Ps me off to hear about it tho too. Sorry to hear about this Rob would say I hope you get em back but I;m sure you know thats pretty unlikely. Hope you have a good time in Utrecht next week.................maybe see you @ Amsterdam Soul Club on the Sat night ? Pete will give you all the info @ the fair.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Joan,

Hey mate thats out of order, and once again we see the taboo broken, it was always the worst possible act to carry out, the selling of crap gear or dodgy counterfiet tunes was a chance you took when buying, but to rob records is twatish'ness of the highest order.

Hope the bastards fingers drop off, wish he had knicked 'em out of my box, he would have been dissapointed, crap and craper, followwed by shite.

Reminds me of you once telling me of a sales list a friend of ours put out for records he never had in the first place....remember that eh!

Sorry Harpo, I don't understand.

Why am I out of order?

Social source share

People are what they are... a few years ago I was helping Sean out on his stall at Prestatyn and some one lifted a couple of records..

I mean at a soul weekender... sad.gif:P

I suppose we all sit in our Northern Bubble and think everyone is okay and honest...

but there are scum out there... like any where in life really..

Social source share

Guest welshruss

I tend to agree with Joan.....as somewhere,not noticeable, there is a mark (and i doubt it would devalue it,coz i would have to point it out to you) on my 45s..so i know "thats mine".

But whats happened here is quite a rare occurance,thankfully....and lets be honest if any of the people reading this would certainly point out the stolen records any way to a potential buyer.

I do hope you get them back mate.

Social source share

That is why I said some people don't agree with it. Then again, you can't see it without an ultra violet light.

Anyway, I don't sell my records, therefore it isn't a problem.

I think you're right to do it Joan, especially as a collector.

I remember when Neil J had his 'Bobby Day' stolen a few years ago I decided that its deffo the right thing to do. It's such a horrible feeling when a record gets nicked. If you point it out if / when you sell the record then the buyer knowns if it happens to them that they can trace the record slightly easier too so it's not all a bad thing to mark them.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest kerby

Joan,

Hey mate thats out of order, for them to target your or anyone elses boxes and once again we see the taboo broken, it was always the worst possible act to carry out, the selling of crap gear or dodgy counterfiet tunes was a chance you took when buying, but to rob records is twatish'ness of the highest order.

hiya paul , gaz holliman had the constelations lifted at prestatyn this year while watching the acts . i belive he had just bought it . bastards .

mart

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

always pisses me off to hear of things like this,being someone who spends a lot of time in record bars,i tend not to leave mine unattended for long periods as i used to,the other week at maxims some fellow was looking through mine & the handful he had just looked through he tried to put down on the floor away from my box luckily i was there to point out his error & take them back

hope they turn up rob

Social source share

Well thanks for the support everyone.

I think it was probably some random guy not even on the scene as you do get a few knobs in there.

So he'll probably sell em to a shop or put em on the net.

Bastard !

Thanks

Rob

always pisses me off to hear of things like this,being someone who spends a lot of time in record bars,i tend not to leave mine unattended for long periods as i used to,the other week at maxims some fellow was looking through mine & the handful he had just looked through he tried to put down on the floor away from my box luckily i was there to point out his error & take them back

hope they turn up rob

Social source share

Hope you find your records Rob,lets hope the ctv's do the job if your on the thing and on the scene someone will know you and hopefully something done,but dont count on it.

Last off was Russ White there,no i dont forget.........your name is shit in my house.

Edited by ken
Social source share

LOWEST OF THE LOW IM SORRY TO HEAR THIS MATE, I HAD A COULE OF 200 BOXES AT BURNLEY ON SAT NIGHT AND IT WAS THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE TO BE HONEST FELT VERT COMFORTABLE DANCING ETC ALTHOUGH I ALWAYS PARK MYSELF WITH LADS THAT CAN WATCH THEM.THIS HAPPENS SO MUCH ,I HOPE YOU GET SORTED MATE AND IF YOU FIND OUT WHO GOT THEM OUT THEM AND GIVE THEM A GOOD KICKING.

BAZ A :ohmy:

Social source share

Hi Rob - bad news mate - but for what it's worth, this looks like random thievery to me - someone who was armed with knowledge would probably not risk a kicking for some of the stuff that went - a 'pro' thief who knew what he / she was doing would have cherry-picked the money records and left any cheapies behind so the chances are they'll just be sold off somewhere for pennies...BUT...there's a chance that they will be kept together and sold as one so there's still hope that somebody on here reading this will stumble across em somewhere...

MRez

Social source share

Guest marge

Sorry to hear about this. I had an inkling, at my first time at Crossfire, that maybe I should turn my bag the other way round so that the zip was facing against me, only to find that by the time I did so, within 3 minutes of arriving, that my bag had already been opened and ran through - thankfully nothing stolen. I must have caught them mid fumble as things were not quite where I had placed them, obviously a fumble to get at my purse...

Had all my records, bar one... nicked 20 years ago and nothing replaces all the hours that were spent finding them to purchase in the first place, or the joy they brought to me, not just listening to them, but the joy in finding them at 5am in a sales box at some god forsaken end of the country, pre- internet days- to this day can't bring myself to replace those particular records. Have bought records since, but not the one's that were stolen... Like Harpo says, it's the last taboo. What happened to my records happened at home, you would never expect that to happen in the 'soul fraternity', such as we are.

Sorry to hear what happened.

If it makes you laugh, the %%^^&* who stole all my records left me with 'Hotline'.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert