Posted On Behalf Of Dave Thorley

Posted on behalf of Dave Thorley

For those of you that are not aware, Dave's partner Jane Minnick was sadly killed in a car accident on the outskirts of Cheltenham last Wednesday. Dave and Jane had quite recently separated but were on good terms and still very much a part of each others lives.

Many of you will have met Jane out and about on the soul scene over the last ten years, and she was a great character; warm, fun and friendly, full of life and joie de vivre.

Jane was born in Detroit and moved to the UK 20 years ago - this is where she had made her life, and the friends that she had made within our close little music and social fraternity were very important to her.

A memorial service is being arranged in Bicester, Oxfordshire for this weekend (see details below) and I will post details up on Dave's behalf as soon as the arrangements have been finalised, for anyone that would like to attend to celebrate Jane's life and honour her memory.

Obviously Dave has been besieged by phone calls and e-mails from their many friends on the soul scene but is unable to speak to everyone at the moment as he is caught up in the sad but necessary duties and practicalities that follow such a tragedy. This is not a straightforward matter because Jane was still a citizen of the US and obviously has family in the States.

Dave is exceptionally grateful for the love, kind thoughts and sympathetic messages, and will hopefully be able to speak to everyone in due course. If you need to contact Dave urgently but haven't been able to get hold of him you can contact me, and I'll be able to pass your message on to him. He still hopes to be able to attend Cleethorpes, and would love to share memories of Jane with her friends.

Alison Holden-Nightingale

I've just added an addendum to this as Dave has been able to consult with Janes family about the memorial service - and they have decided to postpone this for a couple of weeks so that they will have the opportunity to come to the UK and be personally involved. They welcome the opportunity to meet with all of Janes British friends.

Edited by alison
  • Replies 31
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That is a shock Alison.

I didn't know her well but was at Dave's house only three or four months ago and she was very nice, kept the tea coming and didn't complain when I knocked a cup all over the carpet.

What a dreadful shame. Hope Dave is bearing up OK.

Horrible news. Please pass on our best wishes and thoughts to Dave, and Jane's family.

Roger

link

No good at these things,have met jane loads!so can you pass on my sympathys..... :yes:

Posted on behalf of Dave Thorley

For those of you that are not aware, Dave's partner Jane Minnick was sadly killed in a car accident

:P It is one of those thing's when you don't really know what to say. :D

Thinking Of You Dave

Jon & Sue Buck

Edited by jonbuck

I've just added an addendum to this as Dave has been able to consult with Janes family about the memorial service - and they have decided to postpone this for a couple of weeks so that they will have the opportunity to come to the UK and be personally involved. They welcome the opportunity to meet with all of Janes British friends.

I know that Dave is busy at the moment but he has popped his head in through the Soul Source door, and I know he is really touched by the kind messages. I've posted this up on a couple of soul sites and e-mail lists and I am saving all the return messages of condolence in order to pass them onto both Dave and also to Janes family.

Ali

Edited by alison
Guest in town Mikey

Its terrible news. I dont think i ever met Jane, but have known Dave since I was a kid in Dursley.

Condolences to everybody at this awful time.

Saddest of news is an understatement..

Our thoughts go out to Dave and Janes family at this time..

Please onpass our deepest sympathy and

condoloences from the

Aberdeen Soul crew.

The gasher..Richie Conn

Tubbs,Ridz and Eccelescake...

sorry to hear your sad news dave..please accept heartfelt condolences from all at heavenly blocked..our best wishes are with you

nige shaw & cookie..x

For the past ten years or so Dawn and i have had the pleasure of bieng amongst Jane and Dave's closest friends. We have gone on holiday together every summer, and rarely spent christmas apart. So this was a tragedy felt deeply in our household,particularly as we watched their relationship grow over such a long period of time.Sadly nothing lasts forever,but fortunatley memories do,and with the passing of time, and the comfort of close friends,even Dave will learn to smile again in recollection of a life so dearly missed. God bless you Janey Marc and Dawn.

Guest lagerlout

Horrible news. Please pass on our best wishes and thoughts to Dave, and Jane's family.

Roger

link

so sorry...........

pete/jules

I am so sorry to hear about Jane, absolutely gutted, and my heart goes out to you Dave. I met Jane in the mid 90s at Bretby and just remember having some of the best nights of my life there with her. She was beautiful, friendly and fun, quite apart from being a really sharp business brain. In fact she sold me a hundred grand's worth of office furniture during one niter! We used to laugh about our 'career girl' lives away from the soul scene. I'll always keep those memories close to my heart. We just never know what's round the corner for us - here I am at home changing nappies and Jane is no longer with us.

God bless Dave and all Jane's family and friends and help them through this terrible time.

I know I'm not alone in saying that I would really like to pay my respects, so would appreciate being kept up to date with any news on funeral or memorial service arrangements.

With love,

Theresa Price (ne Morrissey)

01737 814065, 07712 528456

tcmorrissey@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

A date has now been sorted out for Jane's memorial service.

Dave welcomes everyone along, but would appreciate knowing asap if you plan to attend so they can get a rough idea of numbers.

You can mail him on davethorley@aol.com

Date 2nd August

Time 2.30pm for 3.pm start

Venue:

Royal Mid Surrey Golf club

Old Deer Park

RICHMOND

Surrey

TW9 2SB

Tel 020 8940 1894

Source Advert