Sad News - Obie Benson

I heard today that Obie Benson of the Four Tops had undergone emergency surgery to remove one of his legs. The operation I believe, was carried out over this past weekend. Will relay further details as and when I know the latest.

I would like to pass on my sincere wishes that Obie gets better as soon as possible and is home amongst his family.

Obie Benson apart from being an original member of the Four Tops co-wrote the timeless classic song with Marvin Gaye, What's Going On.

I am sure all Soul Source members would like to wish him well and pass on their sentiments for a speedy recovery.

Kevin Jones

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I heard today that Obie Benson of the Four Tops had undergone emergency surgery to remove one of his legs. The operation I believe, was carried out over this past weekend. Will relay further details as and when I know the latest.

I would like to pass on my sincere wishes that Obie gets better as soon as possible and is home amongst his family.

Obie Benson apart from being an original member of the Four Tops co-wrote the timeless classic song with Marvin Gaye, What's Going On.

I am sure all Soul Source members would like to wish him well and pass on their sentiments for a speedy recovery.

Kevin Jones

link

Really sad news :D - A true talent and I share Kevins' best wishes for a successful recvery and hopefully a return to performing.

Neil Jones

Social source share

Kevin Jones

link

Terrible news, how sad that one of the greatest of all Motown groups is nearing its end, I don't want the Tops to turn out like The Temptations and bring different people all the time using only one original member, so glad i've managed to catch the Tops five times now, a memory that will last forever, good luck and best wishes to Obie

Social source share

Terrible news, how sad that one of the greatest of all Motown groups is nearing its end, I don't want the Tops to turn out like The Temptations and bring different people all the time using only one original member, so glad i've managed to catch the Tops five times now, a memory that will last forever, good luck and best wishes to Obie

link

Sweetsoul Newark also wish to pass to Obie Benson and his family and freinds

and fellow Tops members our thoughts in this time of distress

Doug Hall

Social source share

Is a sad sad news.

Hope he 'll stay better soon..

we love 4 tops ,always in our selection the italian version of sugar pie honey:

Four%20Tops_Piangono%20gli%20uomini.jpg

our best wishes.

Social source share

The Four Tops were the first live act I ever saw, 1971 at the Wolverhampton Gaumont. My auntie gave me the tickets as she couldn't go. Concerts were a bit weird in those days, whenever anyone got up to try to dance, the security would make them sit down, so you had the Tops asking people to get up and dance and at the same time, bouncers saying the opposite. Anyway I never forgot that concert. Best wishes to Obie.

Social source share

Seems so sad especially after watching Soul Deep on Saturday with his major contribution to the Soul Scene. My memory - is as a child, I had to compete with my mother wanting to listen to the Beatles and my father Elvis! - but as my mother had the radio on ALL the time, my first memory and love of music was the Four Tops, they were the reason why I progressed onto the soul scene more than anything. They just dont make them like that anymore. Hopefully with his personality - that came over on the programme - he will be able to carry on with his life as full as possible. He knew what was going on!

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I WAS VERY UPSET TO READ TODAY THE RENALDO " OBIE " BENSON HAD DIED DUE TO ILLNESS. I HAVE WATCHED THE FOUR TOPS THREE TIMES WHEN THEY CAME TO SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND ON TOUR WITH THE TEMPTATIONS. THEY WERE DUE TO TOUR IN ENGLAND AGAIN THIS COMING AUTUMN.

I ALWAYS FELT THAT OBIE HAD A ENERGY IN HIS PERFORMANCES THAT WERE SECOND TO NONE.

HE REALLY ENJOYED PERFORMING WITH THE FOUR TOPS AND HIS PRESENCE WILL BE SADLY MISSED.

JAMES LAVIN

SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

Social source share

So sad, I only saw them once, in concert in Newark, NJ The battle of the groups with the Temptations, that performance will forever live on in my memory, Levi was undisputedly the heart and soul of the group, he made you feel every note that was being sung to your core, but Obie was definitely the energy, he was the one to make you want to get up and dance, the one with the big party time smile that made you want to join in and groove with them, he was the Mr. Excitement of the group.....I will miss knowing that he's in the world.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!