That Driving Beat - Leeds 25Th September

Finally got round to writing a look back about our opening night at our new home, the fabulous Basement Club @ The Wardrobe Leeds.

I'm really pleased with how the night turned out.

Spent the first two hours worrying about numbers, especially sseeing as how we only got our flyers through 5 days before the event due to various issues!!

Anyways, all fears were put to rest as peeps started filtering through the doors and the dancefloor's cherry was firmly popped for the first dance of That Driving Beat's tenure at The Wardrobe.

We had just over 100 through the door which for a first night i thought was respectable, given the circumstances mentioned above.

Was great to see so many faces who'd travelled to come to the night. Lee; Mr Spirit himself, came up from the midlands (i think!), Toby of Groovesville fame - great to meet you mate, can't forget my good friends Anya and Kellyanne, travelled from Newcastle and sheffield respectively. Special thanks to you all for making the effort, and thanks to everyone who came along and supported us.

I thought the music was fantastic throughout.

Rich as usual did the business mixing rare and underplaayed, with floor fillers and then something different with the few latin numbers thrown in there, but always got people up dancing.

I thought Gav was truely AMAZING. Stuff in that guys box just blows me away at times, and when he and Eddie double decked, the floor was rammed pretty much the entire time, great tunes guys.

I'll post some tunes up of what i played a bit later, and try and get Eddie / Gav's too.

Overall, great first night, something to build on. Had loads of people saying they're defo coming back, and lots who couldnt make it this time coming in October.

None other than Mr Pat Brady next month so get yourselves down. Leeds needs a great soul night, and we're hoping to be it!!

P.S It's my birthday bash too, ooooooh it's gonna be messy :-)

Cheers

Azza

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
  • Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dazzzzler

Finally got round to writing a look back about our opening night at our new home, the fabulous Basement Club @ The Wardrobe Leeds.

I'm really pleased with how the night turned out.

Spent the first two hours worrying about numbers, especially sseeing as how we only got our flyers through 5 days before the event due to various issues!!

Anyways, all fears were put to rest as peeps started filtering through the doors and the dancefloor's cherry was firmly popped for the first dance of That Driving Beat's tenure at The Wardrobe.

We had just over 100 through the door which for a first night i thought was respectable, given the circumstances mentioned above.

Was great to see so many faces who'd travelled to come to the night. Lee; Mr Spirit himself, came up from the midlands (i think!), Toby of Groovesville fame - great to meet you mate, can't forget my good friends Anya and Kellyanne, travelled from Newcastle and sheffield respectively. Special thanks to you all for making the effort, and thanks to everyone who came along and supported us.

I thought the music was fantastic throughout.

Rich as usual did the business mixing rare and underplaayed, with floor fillers and then something different with the few latin numbers thrown in there, but always got people up dancing.

I thought Gav was truely AMAZING. Stuff in that guys box just blows me away at times, and when he and Eddie double decked, the floor was rammed pretty much the entire time, great tunes guys.

I'll post some tunes up of what i played a bit later, and try and get Eddie / Gav's too.

Overall, great first night, something to build on. Had loads of people saying they're defo coming back, and lots who couldnt make it this time coming in October.

None other than Mr Pat Brady next month so get yourselves down. Leeds needs a great soul night, and we're hoping to be it!!

P.S It's my birthday bash too, ooooooh it's gonna be messy :-)

Cheers

Azza

hi avin not got any details cud u let on wot music ur playing and wots the dance floor like .plus capacity thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Well, what a good night this was.

Exactly the shot in the arm the scene needs; an imaginative, but unpretentious varied playlist and plenty of young faces having fun and - I'm sorry to be a dancefloor-Nazi bore, but this was so welcome for this kind of event - "No drinks on the dancefloor" signs to encourage the newbies in the very pleasant young crowd to respect the dance traditions of Northern Soul, which they generally did. I really hope that continues as the night gains in popularity, as it surely will.

Not that the night was strictly about down-the-line Northern, thank God - there was rnb, funk, crossover, northern. There was genuine variation (think Soul Revolution/DDRR/Beat Boutique/Yum Yum music and crowd-wise. ish.) to put some of the more traditional allegedly 'across the board' places to shame.

If you're a uniformed, teary-eyed wigan oldies fanatic who will demand everything is 'just so' musically and on the dancefloor, it's not going to be for you; but if you are prepared to hear a bit of everything that black music has to offer from (mostly) the long Northern period, and can enjoy yourself dancing amongst young people who may be new to it and who - god knows - we need to draw in to this wonderful music, you will probably have as much fun as me.

This is not your normal Northern night, and it's all the better for it.

Personally, I had no energy and struggled with coordination (no, that's not normal for me), but apart from that I really enjoyed myself and happily boogied away most of the night.

To be honest, I only really came up to support Arron on the first night at the new venue (a decent sized downstairs nightclub with central lowered dancefloor), but ended the night up on the deal, just having a great time.

Well done lads - a top night. Sorry I didn't get to have a chat, but the not-terribly-happy-with-the-overtime bouncers who made you cut the last record short kicked us out (politely) at the end. On the other hand the ubiquitous-but-charming Toby and SarahLeen and the two Steves provided good company as ever.

It's a bit of a trek for me, but it was well worth it and budget and wheels allowing, I hope to be back soon.

What's that you said? Karl f-ing Heard??

Very soon.

Well, what a good night this was.

Exactly the shot in the arm the scene needs; an imaginative, but unpretentious varied playlist and plenty of young faces having fun and - I'm sorry to be a dancefloor-Nazi bore, but this was so welcome for this kind of event - "No drinks on the dancefloor" signs to encourage the newbies in the very pleasant young crowd to respect the dance traditions of Northern Soul, which they generally did. I really hope that continues as the night gains in popularity, as it surely will.

Not that the night was strictly about down-the-line Northern, thank God - there was rnb, funk, crossover, northern. There was genuine variation (think Soul Revolution/DDRR/Beat Boutique/Yum Yum music and crowd-wise. ish.) to put some of the more traditional allegedly 'across the board' places to shame.

If you're a uniformed, teary-eyed wigan oldies fanatic who will demand everything is 'just so' musically and on the dancefloor, it's not going to be for you; but if you are prepared to hear a bit of everything that black music has to offer from (mostly) the long Northern period, and can enjoy yourself dancing amongst young people who may be new to it and who - god knows - we need to draw in to this wonderful music, you will probably have as much fun as me.

This is not your normal Northern night, and it's all the better for it.

Personally, I had no energy and struggled with coordination (no, that's not normal for me), but apart from that I really enjoyed myself and happily boogied away most of the night.

To be honest, I only really came up to support Arron on the first night at the new venue (a decent sized downstairs nightclub with central lowered dancefloor), but ended the night up on the deal, just having a great time.

Well done lads - a top night. Sorry I didn't get to have a chat, but the not-terribly-happy-with-the-overtime bouncers who made you cut the last record short kicked us out (politely) at the end. On the other hand the ubiquitous-but-charming Toby and SarahLeen and the two Steves provided good company as ever.

It's a bit of a trek for me, but it was well worth it and budget and wheels allowing, I hope to be back soon.

What's that you said? Karl f-ing Heard??

Very soon.

As ever mate, a superbly written look back.

Thanks again for coming up, we really appreciate it, especially with the distance you've travelled.

Apologies from me that i didnt get chance to catch up with you, but extremely pleased you enjoyed it Lee. Oh, and the lack of co-ordination didnt come across so i doubt the dance police will be adding you to the wanted posters!

P.S Karl's on in November :-)

hi avin not got any details cud u let on wot music ur playing and wots the dance floor like .plus capacity thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

No probs - music wise, the genres we play are detailed in my signature (and the playlists to come will hopefully give you an idea of what the residents play).

We get the guest DJ's on knowing what they bring to the night, and try to vary that up

The dancefloor is great considering the venue's in the city centre. Wooden floor, smooth, sunken - you go down three small stairs to get to it. The venue has lots of character to it and the dancefloor is central to that.

We will be posting the event in the events calendar on here and a thread each month in events talk, Hope to see you down there next month.

As ever mate, a superbly written look back.

Thanks again for coming up, we really appreciate it, especially with the distance you've travelled.

Apologies from me that i didnt get chance to catch up with you, but extremely pleased you enjoyed it Lee. Oh, and the lack of co-ordination didnt come across so i doubt the dance police will be adding you to the wanted posters!

P.S Karl's on in November :-)

Cool! Really hope to be there.

Brill first night in new venue! Thanks to everyone who came along as Arron has said above and also to to Tom and Helen and anyone else we've missed off. See you next month with PAT BRADY as our very special guest!My plaslist (in no particular order) over 3 spots:

Jimmy Radcliffe - A Clock That's Got No Hands - Acetate

Herb Ward - Strange Change - Argo

Ben E King - I Can't Break The News - Atco

Falcons - Good Good Feeling - Big Wheel

Cam Cameron - They Say - Capri

Little Milton - Sometimey - Checker

Don Gardner - Tighten Up Your Love Bone - Cedric

Ivorys - Please Stay - Despenza

EJ & The Echoes - You're Gonna Hurt - Diamond Jim

Ruby Winters - Better - Diamond

Breanda & Tabs - That's In The Past - Dionn

Paris - Sleepless Nights - Doc

Precisions - Such Misery - Drew

Inez & Charlie Foxx - You Fixed My Heartache - Symbol

Don Ray Sampson - Baby Come Back - E

Frederick Hymes III - Time Aing Gonna Do Me No Favours - Fab Vegas

Darrow Fletcher - My Young Misery - Groovy

Joe Bataan - Subway Joe - Fania

Ray Barretto - Right On - Fania

Pete Rodriguez - I Like It Like That - Alegre

Sheppards - Stubborn Heart - Jay Boy UK

Embers - First Time - JCP

CODs - I'm A Good Guy - Kellmac

Monique - If You Love Me - Maurci

John Wesley - Love Is A Funny Thing - Melic

John Bowie - You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing - Merben

Stacy Johnson - I Stand Alone - MPac

Detroit Soul - All Of My Life - Music Town (for Anya!)

Cookie Scott - I Don't Care - Orr

John Andrews - It's Just Love - Parlophone UK

Two People - Stop Leave My Heart Alone - Revue

Dynamics - I Need Your Love - RCA

Rose Brooks - I'm Moanin' - Soul City

Little Jewel - I Want To - Tayster

Dynamics - Yes I Love You Baby - Top Ten

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me - Veep

Otis Rush - Homework - Vocalion UK

Gifted Four - Are You Choosing - Hamito Semitica

Deniece Chandler - Mama, I Wished I'd Stayed At Home - Lock

The Gents - Love's Such A Beautiful Thing - Paramount

Serena Johnson - All Work And No Play - Big 2

Blues Busters - Love Is The Answer - Minit

Getto Kitty - Stand Up And Be Counted - Shroud

Dinah Washington - Soulville - Roulette

Guest Ste Brazil

Brill first night in new venue! Thanks to everyone who came along as Arron has said above and also to to Tom and Helen and anyone else we've missed off. See you next month with PAT BRADY as our very special guest!My plaslist (in no particular order) over 3 spots:

Jimmy Radcliffe - A Clock That's Got No Hands - Acetate

Herb Ward - Strange Change - Argo

Ben E King - I Can't Break The News - Atco

Falcons - Good Good Feeling - Big Wheel

Cam Cameron - They Say - Capri

Little Milton - Sometimey - Checker

Don Gardner - Tighten Up Your Love Bone - Cedric

Ivorys - Please Stay - Despenza

EJ & The Echoes - You're Gonna Hurt - Diamond Jim

Ruby Winters - Better - Diamond

Breanda & Tabs - That's In The Past - Dionn

Paris - Sleepless Nights - Doc

Precisions - Such Misery - Drew

Inez & Charlie Foxx - You Fixed My Heartache - Symbol

Don Ray Sampson - Baby Come Back - E

Frederick Hymes III - Time Aing Gonna Do Me No Favours - Fab Vegas

Darrow Fletcher - My Young Misery - Groovy

Joe Bataan - Subway Joe - Fania

Ray Barretto - Right On - Fania

Pete Rodriguez - I Like It Like That - Alegre

Sheppards - Stubborn Heart - Jay Boy UK

Embers - First Time - JCP

CODs - I'm A Good Guy - Kellmac

Monique - If You Love Me - Maurci

John Wesley - Love Is A Funny Thing - Melic

John Bowie - You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing - Merben

Stacy Johnson - I Stand Alone - MPac

Detroit Soul - All Of My Life - Music Town (for Anya!)

Cookie Scott - I Don't Care - Orr

John Andrews - It's Just Love - Parlophone UK

Two People - Stop Leave My Heart Alone - Revue

Dynamics - I Need Your Love - RCA

Rose Brooks - I'm Moanin' - Soul City

Little Jewel - I Want To - Tayster

Dynamics - Yes I Love You Baby - Top Ten

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me - Veep

Otis Rush - Homework - Vocalion UK

Gifted Four - Are You Choosing - Hamito Semitica

Deniece Chandler - Mama, I Wished I'd Stayed At Home - Lock

The Gents - Love's Such A Beautiful Thing - Paramount

Serena Johnson - All Work And No Play - Big 2

Blues Busters - Love Is The Answer - Minit

Getto Kitty - Stand Up And Be Counted - Shroud

Dinah Washington - Soulville - Roulette

Some great tracks in there, i must have been Smoking / drinking / in the toilet at all the wrong bloody times!

Good night, will definately be back next time. thumbsup.gif

Ste.

You did bounce up like a colied spring and ran onto the dancefloor when the crossover came on laugh.gif

Haha, great to see you down Steve, and top tunes from Rich as always. I love that Pete Rodriguez tune......can i have it? rolleyes.gif

Eddie send his apologies as he cant remember a lot of what he played. Anyways, here's some of Mr Wainwright's spins......

zu zu man - zu zu blues band - a&m

soul sound - harvey and jokers - sko-field

lonesome shack - ernie washington - Chattahoochee

on you heartache looks good - carol and gerri - mgm

in love - tony galla - swan

what good am i - mickie champion - nusette

change your ways - willie kendricks - rca

if you dont come - patience valentine - sar

why - willie mason - kalama

is she in your town - curtis lee - mira

lonely for you - sam dees-sssinternational

Great tunes from the big man!

Guest Ste Brazil

Haha, great to see you down Steve, and top tunes from Rich as always. I love that Pete Rodriguez tune......can i have it? rolleyes.gif

Eddie send his apologies as he cant remember a lot of what he played. Anyways, here's some of Mr Wainwright's spins......

zu zu man - zu zu blues band - a&m

soul sound - harvey and jokers - sko-field

lonesome shack - ernie washington - Chattahoochee

on you heartache looks good - carol and gerri - mgm

in love - tony galla - swan

what good am i - mickie champion - nusette

change your ways - willie kendricks - rca

if you dont come - patience valentine - sar

why - willie mason - kalama

is she in your town - curtis lee - mira

lonely for you - sam dees-sssinternational

Great tunes from the big man!

Eddie probably doesn't even remember being there! laugh.gif

Ste.

Guest sarahleen

funkin great stuff

all across the board , good dancefloor , friendly atmosphere and great to see so many young ones . one to watch .

from start to (booo) finish, a cracker :thumbup:

Eddie probably doesn't even remember being there! :laugh:

Ste.

Haha, ya not wrong there mate.

Got chance to refresh my grey matter with what i played. A few from me (start, middle and end of the night).......

Garnet Mimms - As long as i have you

Sergio Mendes - Love Music

Rhetta Hughes - You're doing it with her

Ann Sextion - I still love you

Hank Jacobs - Ellijah rockin with soul

Kris Peterson - Just as much

Uniques - Not too long ago

Herbs - Never ever will i fall in love

Lewis Clark - I need you baby

Invitations - What's wrong with me baby (think i played this)

Archie Bell - Where will you go when the party is over (last tune of the night)

Linda Jones - Just cant live my life

Commands - Hey its love

Eddie Holman - I surrender

Taj Mahal - Aint that alot of love

Lawrence & Arabians - Coincidence

Betty Everett - Mighty crowded

Beverly Ann Gibson - Three dollar bill

Edwin Starr - Time

Incredibles - I cant get over

Exits - Got to have money

Billy Joe Royal - Mama didnt raise no fool

Checkmates Ltd - Kissing her and crying for you

Dee Dee Sharp - What kind of lady

Showmen - Our love will grow

Dee Irwin - I only get this feeling

Ideals - Mighty lover

Josephine Taylor - Is it worth a chance

Kings go forth - One day

Chocolate Boys - Voltaire pier

Mighty Marvellows - Talkin about ya

Natural Four - I thought ypu were mine

Thouroughly enjoyed double decking with the main man Mr Buckley!