Mixed Emotions

Guest woolie mark

Guest woolie mark

Sorry to do this, but I can't find the previous threads about gold of my life

As I remember, there are three "issues"

The first one and the second one, which the producer asserts are both unauthorised (yeah, right!) and the third one which he occasionally puts on e-bay and sells for some ridiculous sum off his web-site

What I'd like to know is:

1. approx current value for each "issue"

2. are the recordings different?

3. how can each be identified?

:shades:

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The first one and the second one, which the producer asserts are both unauthorised (yeah, right!) and the third one which he occasionally puts on e-bay and sells for some ridiculous sum off his web-site

:shades:

one of the first two didn't he put out...one has sound engineer or prducer's name on label one doesn't. He then put out a re-mixed version with strings and piano???? this one is supposedly the original first press. The one with sound engineers name (I think) he actually said he did 300 for family (big family :lol: ) and therefore isn't an original issue :yes::lol: ...looking for my scribblings now, and a reply from Elijah :lol:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

right....i'm on top of this now, this seems to be the most likely facts:

in 1975 the "original" was pressed in limited quantity for promotional purposes - this can be distinguished by not having name of the musical arranger under the artists name, and the letter "E" on the matrix number looking like a backwards 3 rather than E

The recent pressing also has strings on the arrangement/mix

The producer, or engineer, or whatever - Mr Elijah Cole - claims that there was an earlier issue than the 1975 pressing, but this seems like b*ll*cks cos nobody can verify ever seeing one - although there have been rumours. His daughter is selling the recent pressing off her website for a ridiculous price. It seems that they occasionally trickle them out on e-bay too.

Also:

Mr Cole would like it known that he is not a "crack head"

Mr Cole does not appreciate the comments of "the individual named CHALKY" or "the guy name Trouble" and he has offered to send them copies of both issues for them to compare, which makes me doubt his sanity knowing how dodgy they both are (only joking chalky, james - not joking).

:thumbsup::lol::lol: CLASSIC!!!

has anyone got anything to add to this?

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I can add a bit more on the description of the 1975 original, as I have one in front of me (bought from Mr. Manship approx 1977/8 ... I think it cost a fiver!):

It is made of quite thin and flexible vinyl, with an off-white moulded over label. The run out is 1.5cm width from the playing grooves to the label, and it has the hand-drawn letters 'BA' in a circle scratched in, as well as the EC 5709 A (or EC 5709 B on the b-side). On mine, you can also see a faint additional print of the artist credits.

I don't know whether these details are the same on the re-issue though, as I don't have one to compare.

Any takers??

Social source share

anyone got scans of both...Maybe Elijah or his daughter can post the reissue...sorry original up for us :lol::thumbsup:

For F*ck's sake. The original looks the same as the re issue, but the re issue has the engineer's credit under the song title, the orig does not and you can tell that the re issue vinyl is recent. The re issue is exactly the same recording / take as the orig. one costs £200 one costs £60. Take you choice. Killer tune tho'.

Jordi

Social source share

For F*ck's sake. The original looks the same as the re issue, but the re issue has the engineer's credit under the song title, the orig does not and you can tell that the re issue vinyl is recent. The re issue is exactly the same recording / take as the orig. one costs £200 one costs £60. Take you choice. Killer tune tho'.

Jordi

we know...take a chill pill whistling.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest woolie mark

anyone got scans of both...Maybe Elijah or his daughter can post the reissue...sorry original up for us :P:ohmy:

this is on e-bay - obviously the reissue

post-1980-1137581730_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest woolie mark

i was having a little surf on e-bay today and stumbled across the cole family's shop (ROCK WAY RECORDS)

i note that mr cole has now dropped the price of gold of my life to $20 (i think he was asking about $125 before)

anyway, the best bit is...............if you pay $25, he'll sign it for you!!!!

:D:D:unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!