Dj's Only Please

mischief

THIS IS FOR THE DJ'S - BOOTS OR ORIGINALS  

1. 1. Frank Wilson

• Its a classic example of quality northern soul. A timeless master piece
    • Its all hype & little substance. Wasn't very good in the first place, then it got overplayed.
    • I prefer to sit on the fence, my opinions don't count

• Replies 85
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The poll was to see how dj's felt about playing boots etc... as we always have the thread on here regarding boots v originals which goes round and round as you seem to have two sides so by splitting it I thought we could see how each side thought about it, we would see how things really are, if it was just a dj thing playing originals or a dancer thing..

Social source share

The poll was to see how dj's felt about playing boots etc... as we always have the thread on here regarding boots v originals which goes round and round as you seem to have two sides so by splitting it I thought we could see how each side thought about it, we would see how things really are, if it was just a dj thing playing originals or a dancer thing..

If one is a dancer who also does dj spots, can one vote in both?

Social source share

If one is a dancer who also does dj spots, can one vote in both?

try not to, as I'm wondering if the arguement over what format gets played is differnt between dancers and dj's .. any way wouldn't your answer be the same... I go out more than I dj but my views are still the same... Original UK & US

Social source share

Guest soul stormers

try not to, as I'm wondering if the arguement over what format gets played is differnt between dancers and dj's .. any way wouldn't your answer be the same... I go out more than I dj but my views are still the same... Original UK & US

i think that original records should be played uk.or us ....... :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not sure your answer would necessarily be the same. I've only DJed once and will again in September, but i still voted :D and i played Original Vinyl Only, but if i go out i don't mind hearing reissues or even boots, especially at local soul nights, because i love dancing. I've even been places where they play CDs and i didn't know that til i got there but it still didn't stop me dancing.

So i think as a Dancer and a Dj you can have mixed views. :D Although more than anything else venue and music policy is important. Maybe we should have another poll, Niter, Major Soulnight, Local Soulnight, Mate's Birthday etc...

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

The only problem is collectors don't always make good dj's and good dj's aren't always collectors.

I don't think we should forget that the people that really matter are the people in front of the decks and if dropping the odd record that is not an original keeps the floor doing what it should do, then so be it in my mind.

There's a similar argument going on on the house scene with regard to CDJs and the amount of people who don't put anything back into the scene they are playing on, they just fileshare.

Think yourselves lucky, if somebody dropping the odd boot is a problem, imagine working on a scene where people don't buy feck all.

Anyhow to sum up, I don't think that anyone who is an honest Joe at heart and has put his time in should be castigated if he plays an 'I'm Gone' boot when he thinks it would work.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i've never thought this was a question that needed answered ..... maybe i just take it for granted ..original vinyl only .

i write the scottish column in On The Scene and if i am reviewing a do and any dj plays a boot i will hammer them in print , done it before and will continue doing it .

if you dj and you play a bootleg knowingly you don't deserve to be behind the decks

Social source share

The

Think yourselves lucky, if somebody dropping the odd boot is a problem, imagine working on a scene where people don't buy feck all.

All that extra :D money .. mind you the way petrol is on the up, people could do with that extra cash to get to where there djing.. :D .

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

if you dj and you play a bootleg knowingly you don't deserve to be behind the decks

I want to say 'Bobbins' but I won't :D .

Why??

Social source share

i've never thought this was a question that needed answered ..... maybe i just take it for granted ..original vinyl only .

i write the scottish column in On The Scene and if i am reviewing a do and any dj plays a boot i will hammer them in print , done it before and will continue doing it .

:ohmy::ohmy::shades:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I want to say 'Bobbins' but I won't :ohmy: .

Why??

if you feel the need to say Bobbins then feel free ..

in my opinion you earn the right to play your records out when you have searched for them and worked for them and taken time and effort in building a collection good enough to hopefully entertain people .buying boots and re-issues as has been mentioned takes no time , no patience , no effort at all and therefore is lazy .

am i an elitist ....yeah and so bloody what

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

we now have three threads running regarding originals/boots!

i love this site and its members although i wish we didn't have so many boring snoozers attempting to win this age old argument.

Shane

:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

if you feel the need to say Bobbins then feel free ..

in my opinion you earn the right to play your records out when you have searched for them and worked for them and taken time and effort in building a collection good enough to hopefully entertain people .buying boots and re-issues as has been mentioned takes no time , no patience , no effort at all and therefore is lazy .

am i an elitist ....yeah and so bloody what

I have a half decent collection that has took 25 years + to build up and I've been a working class lad all the way, no fancy job or wages to talk of, so what I've got I've done without food and fags for on occassion.

I've also got boots, 2nd pressings, re-issues etc as there is no way on Gods earth I'll ever have the money for a Del- Larks and the like.

Bobbins mate.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I've voted... I'm not a DJ though so hope I haven't put a spanner in your works girl_haha.gif

Your poll choices seem a bit anal to me though th_tumbling-carrot.gif

Oh myGod! Can you imagine her being a DJ? She'd never shut up long enough to play a bloody record!

I do wish you hadn't mentioned anal soulgirl! There's probably a t-shirt in there somewhere for you!

X

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

we now have three threads running regarding originals/boots!

i love this site and its members although i wish we didn't have so many boring snoozers attempting to win this age old argument.

Shane

I know what you're saying mate but new members keep your board up there you know.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

let's be honest and say what i really think ..... if you play tunes that are easily available on cd or bootleg then frankly you're behind the game anyway and aren't playing anything new or exciting ..

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

let's be honest and say what i really think ..... if you play tunes that are easily available on cd or bootleg then frankly you're behind the game anyway and aren't playing anything new or exciting ..

I'll leave you with it Dundeedavie.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I know what you're saying mate but new members keep your board up there you know.

fair enough. however, there is a search facility that enables you to read the 1000's of posts on this subject. You wouldn't have to read them all as the first 8 cover all the opinions and the rest are just repeated.

Shane

Social source share

I have a half decent collection that has took 25 years + to build up and I've been a working class lad all the way, no fancy job or wages to talk of, so what I've got I've done without food and fags for on occassion.

I've also got boots, 2nd pressings, re-issues etc as there is no way on Gods earth I'll ever have the money for a Del- Larks and the like.

Bobbins mate.

plenty of quality records that are as cheap as pressings/boots, sometimes cheaper that are more than good enough to dj with. Dunno why when DJing is mentioned folk automatically have to assume you need records like the Delarks or that you have to spend 100's and 1000's of pounds :ohmy: I'd sooner hear someone who has used his or her imagination and puit a decent thoughful set together with cheap records than someone who just gets the cheque book out, right back to :ohmy::shades:

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

fair enough. however, there is a search facility that enables you to read the 1000's of posts on this subject. You wouldn't have to read them all as the first 8 cover all the opinions and the rest are just repeated.

Shane

Thanks for that information Shane, it's good of you.

Keep your eye out mate, just in case someone else posts something else you've read before.

Keep up the good work. :shades:

plenty of quality records that are as cheap as pressings/boots, sometimes cheaper that are more than good enough to dj with. Dunno why when DJing is mentioned folk automatically have to assume you need records like the Delarks or that you have to spend 100's and 1000's of pounds :ohmy: I'd sooner hear someone who has used his or her imagination and puit a decent thoughful set together with cheap records than someone who just gets the cheque book out, right back to :ohmy::ohmy:

Sorry Chalky but I almost couldn't be arsed to reply - what you have stated is v e r y obvious mate.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Keep your eye out mate, just in case someone else posts something else you've read before.

Keep up the good work. :shades:

Sorry Chalky but I almost couldn't be arsed to reply - what you have stated is v e r y obvious mate.

sunday blues? :ohmy:

Social source share

Keep up the good work. :ohmy:

dunno why you bothered :ohmy: might be obvious but from your reply it seem to me that for you to dj with originals you needed a delarks....god this is boring, Shane your right but after reading some of posts on here it's the best thing to help you nod off after sunday dinner :shades:

Social source share

plenty of quality records that are as cheap as pressings/boots, sometimes cheaper that are more than good enough to dj with. Dunno why when DJing is mentioned folk automatically have to assume you need records like the Delarks or that you have to spend 100's and 1000's of pounds :ohmy: I'd sooner hear someone who has used his or her imagination and puit a decent thoughful set together with cheap records than someone who just gets the cheque book out, right back to :ohmy::ohmy:

I tried this Friday Chalky, although instead of being half decent is was more like half-arsed! :shades:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Bobbins mate.

Exactly what clubs do you DJ at regularly Mr Hubert Street?

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

Exactly what clubs do you DJ at regularly Mr Hubert Street?

'which clubs' mate. :ohmy:

I won't bore you with the list mate but I've been at it for a while now, still dj twice weekly and do the rounds on a few black music scenes.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I won't bore you with the list mate but I've been at it for a while now, still dj twice weekly and do the rounds on a few black music scenes.

can't be any more boring :shades:

you should do an 'intro' in the intro section mate. i am sure a few will be interested especially if you are doing your stuff locally to other members

Shane

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

No no no, don't worry about boring me, I'm off my tits and p*ssed, I'm not sleeping, I could do with the diversion.

Which clubs do you play? Body And Soul NYC?

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

No no no, don't worry about boring me, I'm off my tits and p*ssed, I'm not sleeping, I could do with the diversion.

Which clubs do you play? Body And Soul NYC?

No but I visited it a few times.

Social source share

well im gonna shove my half arsed opinion in on this one...where do you dj???...never heard of you...bootlegs and cd's are offensive to people who have spent years collecting their vinyl :ohmy: ...if its a tenner or ten thousand who cares if it makes em dance...del larks is ok if you like that sorta fing :shades: ...but as chalky said...you can buy better ORIGINAL classy records for a tenner......ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL......i spit in the face of pressings boots and the like...they are for your living room if u must play them at all...i dj'ed recently at a venue where another dj on the rosta openly scorned my original vinyl..." cant be paying the money dearie..." his set was shit...so being able to buy a bootleg for a fiver didnt help him did it?????.....i rest my case....

cookie :ohmy:

Edited by bitchdj
Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

well im gonna shove my half arsed opinion in on this one...where do you dj???...never heard of you...bootlegs and cd's are offensive to people who have spent years collecting their vinyl :ohmy: ...if its a tenner or ten thousand who cares if it makes em dance...del larks is ok if you like that sorta fing :ohmy: ...but as chalky said...you can buy better ORIGINAL classy records for a tenner......ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL......i spit in the face of pressings boots and the like...they are for your living room if u must play them at all...i dj'ed recently at a venue where another dj on the rosta openly scorned my original vinyl..." cant be paying the money dearie..." his set was shit...so being able to buy a bootleg for a fiver didnt help him did it?????.....i rest my case....

cookie :shades:

Well done mate, fingers hurtin' a bit now? :ohmy:

Social source share

well im gonna shove my half arsed opinion in on this one...where do you dj???...never heard of you...bootlegs and cd's are offensive to people who have spent years collecting their vinyl :ohmy: ...if its a tenner or ten thousand who cares if it makes em dance...del larks is ok if you like that sorta fing :shades: ...but as chalky said...you can buy better ORIGINAL classy records for a tenner......ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL......i spit in the face of pressings boots and the like...they are for your living room if u must play them at all...i dj'ed recently at a venue where another dj on the rosta openly scorned my original vinyl..." cant be paying the money dearie..." his set was shit...so being able to buy a bootleg for a fiver didnt help him did it?????.....i rest my case....

cookie :ohmy:

still not sure if i was more offended at the " dearie " comment...or the dreadful dirge he played :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

Is it a ridiculously difficult question? Cookie and I have both asked "which" clubs you ply your bootlegs at...

Where are you from mate?

Social source share

Originals only!, an exexption made say for legitimate vinyl releases of previous unreleased tracks i.e Kent 45's, and bollocks to the "It's What in the Groove Counts" apologists, I don't want to travel a couple of hundred mile to hear poor quality vinyl carvers lookilikes, or as occurred in the past, acetates cut from a tape that end only to launch into the next track on the source tape. If Berry Gordy thought his motto was being used to justify bootlegging and sharp practice, he'd send some very large blokes round to help change your mind.

So what do you play Mr. Hubert Street, if that is your name?

I've just seen on the other topic, Barry I presume

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

Originals only!, an exexption made say for legitimate vinyl releases of previous unreleased tracks i.e Kent 45's, and bollocks to the "It's What in the Groove Counts" apologists, I don't want to travel a couple of hundred mile to hear poor quality vinyl carvers lookilikes, or as occurred in the past, acetates cut from a tape that end only to launch into the next track on the source tape. If Berry Gordy thought his motto was being used to justify bootlegging and sharp practice, he'd send some very large blokes round to help change your mind.

So what do you play Mr. Hubert Street, if that is your name?

Barry is my name Tony.

I'll play anything from Northern to House and most black music era's between, apart from Rap and R&B as it goes, although I am having to take it on the neck a bit at present on here I am not the plant that certain members may think.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Where are you from mate?

Eh? Merseyside by an unfortunate accident of birth, London by choice.

Why?

Don't say we know each other.. I did used to live in Latchford for a bit. Might have met at Mr Smiths Hogey wagon.

Social source share