Northern Soul Events

I recently came across another UK based Northern Soul site on the internet, well actually it says it is the UK's number one Northern Soul website and no its nothing to do with KRL :lol: ...... Anyway click HERE and have a read of the article titled getting it right....

Just wondered what others think as to the concept of only using the term Northern Soul for oldies nights? If you have an across the board policy of mixing in newer sounds are you committing a trading standards offence :thumbsup: As the Sun would say - are you the promoter who claimed it was the punters fault or do you know who they are? :D

Feel free to voice your (non libelous) comments :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You know, having that clickable link will show the webmaster of 'that' site just where his visitors are coming from :thumbsup:

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ May 3 2007, 07:18 PM) link
I recently came across another UK based Northern Soul site on the internet, well actually it says it is the UK's number one Northern Soul website and no its nothing to do with KRL :D ...... Anyway click HERE and have a read of the article titled getting it right....

Just wondered what others think as to the concept of only using the term Northern Soul for oldies nights? If you have an across the board policy of mixing in newer sounds are you committing a trading standards offence :thumbsup: As the Sun would say - are you the promoter who claimed it was the punters fault or do you know who they are? :wicked:

Feel free to voice your (non libelous) comments :wicked:

Most of the events now that try to be a little progressive/different do not use the word "northern" in their description. Personally I wouldn't have thought the term excluded a bit of rare or modern, but if it says so on that site, it must be the case. :wicked:

I notice in another article there, the writer talks about meeting "coloured" people at all-nighters. I wonder what colour they were.. blue perhaps? :lol:

Social source share

You know, having that clickable link will show the webmaster of 'that' site just where his visitors are coming from :wicked:

Hi Karen

I don't see a problem as long as nothing is reproduced from that article i.e cut and pasted and we enter into the spirit of the special warnings on that site re libel :D Given that the webmaster of the UK's number one Northern Soul site uses this site to promote their own event I'm sure they would be aware of this thread with or without a link... I'm just inviting debate amongst the soul fraternity as to whether we should call events that play stuff other than oldies Northern Soul nights and if we do are we misleading people? :thumbsup:

Its called free speech :lol:

ATB Mike

Social source share

Most of the events now that try to be a little progressive/different do not use the word "northern" in their description. Personally I wouldn't have thought the term excluded a bit of rare or modern, but if it says so on that site, it must be the case. :lol:

I notice in another article there, the writer talks about meeting "coloured" people at all-nighters. I wonder what colour they were.. blue perhaps? :thumbsup:

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ May 3 2007, 06:52 PM) link
Hi Karen

I don't see a problem as long as nothing is reproduced from that article i.e cut and pasted and we enter into the spirit of the special warnings on that site re libel :D Given that the webmaster of the UK's number one Northern Soul site uses this site to promote their own event I'm sure they would be aware of this thread with or without a link... I'm just inviting debate amongst the soul fraternity as to whether we should call events that play stuff other than oldies Northern Soul nights and if we do are we misleading people? :thumbsup:

Its called free speech :lol:

ATB Mike

I was just saying, in case you weren't aware :wicked:

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ May 3 2007, 07:58 PM) link
Most of the events now that try to be a little progressive/different do not use the word "northern" in their description. Personally I wouldn't have thought the term excluded a bit of rare or modern, but if it says so on that site, it must be the case. :D

I notice in another article there, the writer talks about meeting "coloured" people at all-nighters. I wonder what colour they were.. blue perhaps? :thumbsup:

Hi Dave - I do see quite a few red people at events - like me they are normally the wrong side of 35 and despite being out of condition insist on spending hours on the dancefloor when they should know better :wicked:

:wicked:

Hi Mike :lol:

At Lifeline last week there were one or two who looked slightly green, but thats a different story! :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Baz

Biggest load of bull **** i've ever read!

Oldies events aren't northern soul, northern soul is about going out and hearing new and 'rare' what ever the word rare means to you its all the same basicly because lets be honest some of the biggest oldies are the rarest on the planet (frank wilson any one?) so that blows that crap argument out the water :lol:

Any way back to the point, if you dont go out wanting to hear and dance to new tunes no matter what any one says your not into Northern soul :wicked:

UKs number one northern soul website :D there is only one contender for that crown! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Oldies events aren't northern soul, northern soul is about going out and hearing new and 'rare' what ever the word rare means to you its all the same basicly because lets be honest some of the biggest oldies are the rarest on the planet (frank wilson any one?) so that blows that crap argument out the water :lol:

Any way back to the point, if you dont go out wanting to hear and dance to new tunes no matter what any one says your not into Northern soul :wicked:

UKs number one northern soul website :D there is only one contender for that crown! :thumbsup:

I was just thinking the same

Bazza

Social source share

Don't know whose site it is & don't particularly care but WTF is the writer on about?

Tries to tell us we should be listening to good old authentic 60s northern & then tries to sell us tickets to see the Four fekkin Vandals.

Getting it right?

Yeah ok :thumbsup:

PS, see the mentioned story has already mysteriously vanished for some strange reason

Social source share

Guest rachel

Look this is a simple choice thing, if any of you do not like my articles that is fine and if they do not like the web site, that is also fine by me, the simple chioce is that you dont have to visit the site if you dont like it.

Cheers

pADDY

So you're happy to write articles putting across strong opinions on the soul scene, but not happy for people to discuss them on a soul site?

Social source share

Northern Soul is not about going out and hearing new and rare, it's about enjoying what ever soul records you like at venues you like. Who are you to say that someone isn't into Northern Soul just because they have different views on what they like compared to what you like? So that blows the crap out of your statement.

Social source share

So you're happy to write articles putting across strong opinions on the soul scene, but not happy for people to discuss them on a soul site?

He didn't say he didn't like it Rachel, he merely said if you don't like what he writes, don't visit the site. They are, after all, his own opinions that he's free to express as we all are :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rachel

He didn't say he didn't like it Rachel, he merely said if you don't like what he writes, don't visit the site. They are, after all, his own opinions that he's free to express as we all are :thumbsup:

Didn't read like that to me, more of a cop-out - of course everyone's free to express they're opinions but I'd also expect people to back them up and respond to discussion about them rather than "if you don't like it, don't read it" - if you claim to be the "number one" site on anything that implies an attempt to be authoritative on a subject.

I would also take the sudden disappearance of the article to mean that discussion of it is unwelcome.

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Hi Mike :lol:

At Lifeline last week there were one or two who looked slightly green, but thats a different story! :wicked:

Look this is a simple choice thing, if any of you do not like my articles that is fine and if they do not like the web site, that is also fine by me, the simple chioce is that you dont have to visit the site if you dont like it.

Cheers

pADDY

Not sure why you've quoted my post, but I only visited your site to check out Mike's link. Is it above comment then.. even though there's an article on a discussion that took place on here? :D

Don't know whose site it is & don't particularly care but WTF is the writer on about?

Tries to tell us we should be listening to good old authentic 60s northern & then tries to sell us tickets to see the Four fekkin Vandals.

Getting it right?

Yeah ok :wicked:

PS, see the mentioned story has already mysteriously vanished for some strange reason

Four Vandals, Martin?

A wind-up, surely? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I would also take the sudden disappearance of the article to mean that discussion of it is unwelcome.

Perhaps to retain peace and tranquility?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i understand the article has been removed :lol: . as someone who writes the odd contraversial article on occasion :thumbsup: relating to the soul scene i see this removal as cowardly .....can i be sued for that? WHATEVER

Social source share

Rachel

People are free to discuss them on my web site & they do! I get some real bollockings on there, that is fine they are who the articles are intended for, what I am fed up with is being slagged off on here all the time as I have been in the past & looks like is happening now. Although Mike B started this topic because he has only just come across the site, it has been on the internet since 1999, and much of what is being posted on this thread has all been said before!

The articles are my opinion, but as I say people do not have to visit the site if they dont like what I write, it simple!

Paddy

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Perhaps to retain peace and tranquility?

perhaps the need to stand by the stuff you write and strap on a pair

Social source share

Hi Cunnie

Thanks for that, as I say it is all down to choice, the choice to buy tickets or not, and the choice to visit the site or not if people dont like what is being written.

Paddy

Social source share

Guest Baz

Northern Soul is not about going out and hearing new and rare, it's about enjoying what ever soul records you like at venues you like. Who are you to say that someone isn't into Northern Soul just because they have different views on what they like compared to what you like? So that blows the crap out of your statement.

Errm no from day one thats what the soul scene has been about, im sure most people would agree with me on that.

there is no passion in going out week in week out not hearing new! just because you have it written accross your chest dont mean its passion, passion about summing is going out week in week out traveling the lenght of the country finding new, passion is trawling through record boxes and ebay looking for that ellusive record, passion is about dancing to new with out a care, northern soul is passion! not traveling 20 miles up the road to hear do i love you at your local wedding/disco that aint passion.

And you should know buy now that any one who dont agree with me doesn't know jack :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Not sure why you've quoted my post, but I only visited your site to check out Mike's link. Is it above comment then.. even though there's an article on a discussion that took place on here? :lol:

Four Vandals, Martin?

A wind-up, surely? :thumbsup:

Sorry Dave, I just clicked the last 'quote reply' button.

Paddy

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ May 3 2007, 07:18 PM) link
<!--quotec-->I recently came across another UK based Northern Soul site on the internet, well actually it says it is the UK's number one Northern Soul website and no its nothing to do with KRL :wicked: ...... Anyway click HERE and have a read of the article titled getting it right....

Just wondered what others think as to the concept of only using the term Northern Soul for oldies nights? If you have an across the board policy of mixing in newer sounds are you committing a trading standards offence :thumbsup: As the Sun would say - are you the promoter who claimed it was the punters fault or do you know who they are? :wicked:

Feel free to voice your (non libelous) comments :lol:

Most of the events now that try to be a little progressive/different do not use the word "northern" in their description. Personally I wouldn't have thought the term excluded a bit of rare or modern, but if it says so on that site, it must be the case. shades.gif

I notice in another article there, the writer talks about meeting "coloured" people at all-nighters. I wonder what colour they were.. blue perhaps? :lol:

[/quote]

Err no...strictly Black.....Delxxx :D:wicked:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Post unapproved - off topic plus long term members should be aware of acceptable content guidelines by now (the 'tasteful' wording on the T shirt in case I need to spell it out)

Social source share

i understand the article has been removed :lol: . as someone who writes the odd contraversial article on occasion :thumbsup: relating to the soul scene i see this removal as cowardly .....can i be sued for that? WHATEVER

Hi Dundeedavie

No, I could see where this thread was heading thats all, although it has only just been mentioned with a link at the start of this thread, it has been posted on the site since January.

Paddy

Social source share

Errm no from day one thats what the soul scene has been about, im sure most people would agree with me on that.

there is no passion in going out week in week out not hearing new! just because you have it written accross your chest dont mean its passion, passion about summing is going out week in week out traveling the lenght of the country finding new, passion is trawling through record boxes and ebay looking for that ellusive record, passion is about dancing to new with out a care, northern soul is passion! not traveling 20 miles up the road to hear do i love you at your local wedding/disco that aint passion.

And you should know buy now that any one who dont agree with me doesn't know jack :thumbsup::D

Passion is what turns you on - there isn't a Table D'Hote menu Baz! I don't collect records but I challenge you to prove I'm not passionate. People are passionate in different ways. You're being insulting to those that have a different passion to your own. I can travel 3 miles or 300 miles, the musics still good for me - in fact, it's just as good in my conservatory :lol:

Talk about putting folk off, you're making it sound so unappealing to folk that still love their oldies, retro clothes, cd collections etc etc. So, to flip the coin... it's not all about newies, rarities and travelling 3 hours!

Social source share

LOL - opportunity knocks folks.

Do you know...I amgetting soo fed up of all this soulier than thou crap that is flying around at mo... people whose sole (please excuse the pun) intention is just to enjoy their soul music.really dont give a monkey's about soul ettiquete and dont give a fig about those who do.whether they wear Dolce and Gabbana or wear mid 70s gear....does that mean that they are lesser souls than those who observe the so called soul rules......I reall think not...but of course this is only my OHO.....Delxx

Social source share

Do you know...I amgetting soo fed up of all this soulier than thou crap that is flying around at mo... people whose sole (please excuse the pun) intention is just to enjoy their soul music.really dont give a monkey's about soul ettiquete and dont give a fig about those who do.whether they wear Dolce and Gabbana or wear mid 70s gear....does that mean that they are lesser souls than those who observe the so called soul rules......I reall think not...but of course this is only my OHO.....Delxx

Soul etiquette,surely this one of the things that has always made this scene what it is,the friendly attitude,saying sorry with a smile and touch ,if you tred on someones toe,and a thats ok mate reply,this to me is a big part of why its comfortable and enjoyable at a soul do' :boxing:

Bazza

Social source share

Soul etiquette,surely this one of the things that has always made this scene what it is,the friendly attitude,saying sorry with a smile and touch ,if you tred on someones toe,and a thats ok mate reply,this to me is a big part of why its comfortable and enjoyable at a soul do' :boxing:

Bazza

Good point...you are right...what i am talking about is "you are not in our crowd mentality".....we all enjoy the scene in our own way...does that make one is less soulful than thou?? do clothes really matter...are we all so shallow that we would really not acknowledge a fellow soulie just by how they are dressed??? perhaps i am a bit naive..but i really wouldnt ignore someone because they wore clothes that i didnt like,....those superficial things dont matter to me...Delxx

Social source share

Hi Cunnie

Thanks for that, as I say it is all down to choice, the choice to buy tickets or not, and the choice to visit the site or not if people dont like what is being written.

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

Did'nt realise it was your site at first.

Looks a cracking line up for the weekender (apart from the FV's :boxing: )

Would'nt mind seeing Deon Jackson live & might even have a mosie on down.

Can you confirm that he's still on as heard the Contours have been added to the line up & was wondering if it's to replace anybody?

(Hope it's the Vandals)

Mart...

Social source share

Here here Del, a girl after my own heart :boxing:

Social source share

Again

Nick, the wording had been removed... the posting of said photo was in reply to the strapping on comment by another member and in such was in keeping with the onward flow of conversation - seeing that conversation does flow in different directions making light of situations sometimes. The natural course of any discussion always ends up someplace different from whence it started.

No need to be sarcastic.

Social source share

Nick, the wording had been removed... the posting of said photo was in reply to the strapping on comment by another member and in such was in keeping with the onward flow of conversation - seeing that conversation does flow in different directions making light of situations sometimes. The natural course of any discussion always ends up someplace different from whence it started.

No need to be sarcastic.

and where does posting pics of yourself fit in with the discussion :boxing:

its a soul site not f****** myspace

Social source share

and where does posting pics of yourself fit in with the discussion :boxing:

its a soul site not f****** myspace

It fitted in because I quoted someone saying to strap something on, to which my reply was that I strapped on a pair of soul goggles.

perhaps the need to stand by the stuff you write and strap on a pair

It was a comedy reply, that's all - has everyone had a comedy bypass here?

Social source share

Good point...you are right...what i am talking about is "you are not in our crowd mentality".....we all enjoy the scene in our own way...does that make one is less soulful than thou?? do clothes really matter...are we all so shallow that we would really not acknowledge a fellow soulie just by how they are dressed??? perhaps i am a bit naive..but i really wouldnt ignore someone because they wore clothes that i didnt like,....those superficial things dont matter to me...Delxx

:boxing::lol::lol:

I concur with the good lady on this one.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

And you should know buy now that any one who dont agree with me doesn't know jack :boxing::lol:

So you can't be passionate dancing your arse off to your favourite tune if it's only a few miles away and the record isn't rare. I see! :lol:

Perhaps someone should set up "Soul Miles". The more miles you travel, the more points you get and when you've got say 10,000 you get a rare record. It's like "football miles" (see freebasing) but in reverse because travelling a long way to support another team just isn't dereguer. :lol:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Ermmm this seems to have wandered completely off the original subject which was about whether non oldies events should be described as Northern Soul :boxing:

Given that the article which started me off asking the questions was removed from the website in question soon after this thread began, thereby denying people the opportunity to read it and give their opinion, perhaps one of the mods would oblige and shut this thread before it gets too out of hand :lol: ???

Cheers

Mike B

Social source share

I wonder if we discussed the next article whether that would be removed as well :lol:

and if it was, how long it would take to get them all removed :boxing:

At the end of the day, if you write an article and publish it on a website, surely you do that to provoke discussion, if not what's the point of writing it in the first place. The whole point of a discussion though, is that not every one will agree with your point of view. If you only want people to agree with you, write for a kids comic :lol:

Social source share

I wonder if we discussed the next article whether that would be removed as well :lol:

At the end of the day, if you write an article and publish it on a website, surely you do that to provoke discussion, if not what's the point of writing it in the first place. The whole point of a discussion though, is that not every one will agree with your point of view. If you only want people to agree with you, write for a kids comic :lol:

Priceless Dave.......lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

So you can't be passionate dancing your arse off to your favourite tune if it's only a few miles away and the record isn't rare. I see! :boxing:

Perhaps someone should set up "Soul Miles". The more miles you travel, the more points you get and when you've got say 10,000 you get a rare record. It's like "football miles" (see freebasing) but in reverse because travelling a long way to support another team just isn't dereguer. :lol:

I agree with some of the things both you and Baz mention Mark,I dont think "passion" (be it for music or anything else) is something which can, nor should, be "measured" ....it's a subjective, ie;very personal thing surely, each to their own I say.

Social source share

HERE BL**DY HERE! (Notice bleeped out swear word there?am so paranoid in case post is removed?) Either way Dave....both this post & your original will probably mysteriously "self-"destruct" in 5 seconds.....somehow, lest someone dare to have an opinion in this what is slowly becoming a site epitomising (imho) the "nanny state" culture we live in! Go on "delete me, delete me someone quick!" before I rant/go off topic/ almost swear/be slightly sarcastic/have blue eyes/freckles/like 70'S (ok that last one would be a "red card offence" agreed! :lol::lol: )

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

HERE BL**DY HERE! (Notice bleeped out swear word there?am so paranoid in case post is removed?) Either way Dave....both this post & your original will probably mysteriously "self-"destruct" in 5 seconds.....somehow, lest someone dare to have an opinion in this what is slowly becoming a site epitomising (imho) the "nanny state" culture we live in! Go on "delete me, delete me someone quick!" before I rant/go off topic/ almost swear/be slightly sarcastic/have blue eyes/freckles/like 70'S (ok that last one would be a "red card offence" agreed! :boxing::lol: )

and whats wrong with freckles :lol:

shit im off topic again :lol:

i love soul music and i love to discuss it on this site with like minded soulies that i know im not always going to see eye 2 eye with but thats what makes this scene we all love so bloody great, oldies, newies, rare, overplayed, nights, nighters, uptempo, ballads,

we all know what we like individually and i know what i like so i go to where i want to get my fix and if i like what i got i will go back if not i will go somewhere else.

just give me soul please and keep the what we have to do to those that think they know best.

Bearsy

Social source share

christ, this is a good one, & all that talk about strapping things on, I thought soul-source had got distinctly pervy for a minute. but then again, what could be more pervy than a red eyed, foaming at the mouth collector waiting to sift through a box already in someone else's hands? I think northern/rare soul is what it is to the person that professes to be a fan. I don't particularly care for the historical reenactment side of the scene, but hey, live & let live. it's all about making choices & I just wouldn't attend a venue that catered to that side of things. listening to the tomangoes is perfectly valid, but at the end of the day & personally speaking, I like to broaden my horizons, & I don't mean just in soul terms. I very rarely buy the same wine twice, there's so much out there & it gets better & better, fortunately...

Social source share

HERE BL**DY HERE! (Notice bleeped out swear word there?am so paranoid in case post is removed?) Either way Dave....both this post & your original will probably mysteriously "self-"destruct" in 5 seconds.....somehow, lest someone dare to have an opinion in this what is slowly becoming a site epitomising (imho) the "nanny state" culture we live in! Go on "delete me, delete me someone quick!" before I rant/go off topic/ almost swear/be slightly sarcastic/have blue eyes/freckles/like 70'S (ok that last one would be a "red card offence" agreed! :boxing::lol: )

think you find he's on about another website

dont make no excuses for deleting posts that go against the terms of use

terms of use are there for a reason

all ask is members follow them

Social source share

Guest Baz

So you can't be passionate dancing your arse off to your favourite tune if it's only a few miles away and the record isn't rare. I see! :lol:

No thats not what im saying at all, i'll take the chance to reply to soulgirl too.

the word rare means so many differnt things, i would rather hear a fresh sounding record thats say £20 than £2000, price is subjective as long as the quality is there. i would rather go to a night that is just playing good black 60s dance music (soul) than any thing else some of the 'upfront' nighters can even get a bit stale i dont really beleive in all that got to be so upfront stuff, i would rather go to a night thats playing again good music be it new to me or old to me, as long as its good then im as happy as a pig in sh*t

Im going in line with the artical that was printed on "the #1 northern soul website in the world" ( :boxing: ) where it said a night was advertising its self as a northern soul night these 'mysterious' people turned up and they were just playing 'rare' expecting a 'northern' night who the **** are these people because they sure aint soul fans? no? i've been to nights that i dont like the majority of the music played but always find summin i like to have a dance, but to say these arnt northern dos, its not right!

I didn't say you had to agree with my 'passion' things but i tried to list as many as i could for people to relate too.

But i do beleive to take the whole northern soul ethos in you have to get about abit and travel.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!