'dipping' Records In Boiling Water - It Works

Having recieved a battered copy of GERALDINE CURRY 'You're so wonderful' as a birthday present, I played it and found that whilst there were no proper jumps or 'stuck' problems, the copy omitted an awful lot of background hisses, pops, crackles and a regular loud recurring noise at the beginning...

As I've done before with seriously damaged records, I boiled up a saucepan of hot water and repeatedly 'dipped' the disc in and out of the water - keeping it at boliing temperature for the next hour - for 2 seconds at a time, then immediately drying each time with a pure cotton cloth.

Result? 60-70 per cent improvement, the record plays much better now and would definetly be playable on a deck via big speakers etc. Most hisses and pops virtually inaudible at loud volume and the prominent noise at the beginning significantly reduced.

An old Rock'n'Roll dealer showed me this trick years ago but you have to be very careful, not to exceed the 2 second limit or you will see your record warp in front of your eyes! So best reserved for cheapos or as I said, seriously damaged vinyl.

Probably discussed many times before but so delighted with the result this morning had to share it!thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest SteveJohnston

Having recieved a battered copy of GERALDINE CURRY 'You're so wonderful' as a birthday present, I played it and found that whilst there were no proper jumps or 'stuck' problems, the copy omitted an awful lot of background hisses, pops, crackles and a regular loud recurring noise at the beginning...

As I've done before with seriously damaged records, I boiled up a saucepan of hot water and repeatedly 'dipped' the disc in and out of the water - keeping it at boliing temperature for the next hour - for 2 seconds at a time, then immediately drying each time with a pure cotton cloth.

Result? 60-70 per cent improvement, the record plays much better now and would definetly be playable on a deck via big speakers etc. Most hisses and pops virtually inaudible at loud volume and the prominent noise at the beginning significantly reduced.

An old Rock'n'Roll dealer showed me this trick years ago but you have to be very careful, not to exceed the 2 second limit or you will see your record warp in front of your eyes! So best reserved for cheapos or as I said, seriously damaged vinyl.

Probably discussed many times before but so delighted with the result this morning had to share it!thumbsup.gif

I thought today was 1st of March not April :hatsoff2:

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

I thought today was 1st of March not April :hatsoff2:

Steve J

It will work Steve.

I used to do it using the steam from a boiling kettle.

Dave K says it works if you pour boiled water (left for 40 seconds) over a 45.

Note that I only refer to british records pressed by EMI (liberty, ua, stateside etc)

I once tried it with Anthony & The Aqualads (found in a shop in Eastbourne!) and it made the vinyl look terrible

Social source share

It will work Steve.

Note that I only refer to british records pressed by EMI (liberty, ua, stateside etc)

I once tried it with Anthony & The Aqualads (found in a shop in Eastbourne!) and it made the vinyl look terrible

Yes, but did it play Pete ?

Don

Social source share

I've discovered you can remove warps from records by leaving them on a tarmac drive on a hot sunny day for 2 hours, and then reversing over them in your motor.

Please note, you must use reverse and tyres must be at 28PSI max. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

It will work Steve.

They can sneer all they want mate, the geezer who showed me how to do it has been selling records for 40 years and he still has a shop doing just that so maybe he just might have picked up a few tricks along the way.

The first record I ever did it with was a UK ATLANTIC demo copy of MARY WELLS 'Dear Lover'. It sounded bloody awful and was badly marked. After a day's careful treatment, it actually plays really well now and that was a diabolical record for hiss and pops.

The most notable one I ever did was a US MINIT copy of THE PLAYERS 'Why did you lie'. I bought it for a dollar in Greenwich Village and it looked like half of New York had been ice skating on it, sound was well poor. When I finished it plays as Ex, brilliant thru a deck, yet if you look at the vinyl you'd never believe it plays at all.

I have fucked up a few when I first did it, a copy of FOUR TOPS 'Something about you' warped when I left it in for longer than 2 secs and you have to make sure you dry it with something that absorbs the hot water immediately. It's something I reserve for drastic cases when you just would not bother to play the record unless something improves. Obviously the GERALDINE CURRY would be quite a valuable record if it was in good nick but thats the whole point. It was sounding diabolical before, no point in having a record you cannot play, so now I have a very nice tune which I can play at home or out.

If they don't believe it, what can I say?yes.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I did it with a copy of Joey Delorezo - Wake up to the sunshine girl.

I left it in for two hours, just to make sure the bastard would never play again... it worked thumbup.gif

Social source share

I did it with a copy of Joey Delorezo - Wake up to the sunshine girl.

I left it in for two hours, just to make sure the bastard would never play again... it worked thumbup.gif

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BOB SAYS...

thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Edited by soulie80
Social source share

Absolutely. I'll get the knack sooner or later thumbup.gif

Glad you're having fun boys, what about getting your charts into the TOP 100 thread, whilst your pissing about!hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

whistling.gifwhat about "mama p"are you goner try it on that............????????????????? lol wicked.gifjohno

My George Lemons has just warped............fashhhhhhhhhhhhhionating gurrrrrrrrrllllll thats whattttttttttt uuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr..Best pub singer northern tune in ages.

Social source share

Yes, but did it play Pete ?

Don

hatsoff2.gif This method does work, I Have used this method many many times! as I said to Pete practice on loads of JACK 1St, best results are when you ware ribber gloves, and pour water of both sides from the kettle centre outwards, this system of restoring plastic shine was use on toys if they had sun fade, but the dealer would just toss it straight into the boiling water?? have a go. I have never used this method on any records that are not in the EMI groupph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif This method does work, I Have used this method many many times! as I said to Pete practice on loads of JACK 1St, best results are when you ware ribber gloves, and pour water of both sides from the kettle centre outwards, this system of restoring plastic shine was use on toys if they had sun fade, but the dealer would just toss it straight into the boiling water?? have a go. I have never used this method on any records that are not in the EMI groupph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Ouch !! just hooked my finger through the centre hole of Lester Tipton, dipped it in boiling water and now have third degree burns to my right hand. Won't be using it for some time to come ( not an intended pun ) Am i doing something wrong ??

Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

ohmy.gif I tried it but it made the peas taste of plastic.

Perhaps you should have used a copy of 'Memhis Soul Stew' for tastier results!

tumbleweed3.gif

Social source share

My George Lemons has just warped............fashhhhhhhhhhhhhionating gurrrrrrrrrllllll thats whattttttttttt uuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr..Best pub singer northern tune in ages.

DUNNO ABOUT GEORGE LEMONS MATE,.......SSSSSSSSSSSOUNDS LIKE B B B B BLOODY ARKWRIGHT,I SAID ARKWRIGHT.....ARE THEE LLLLLLLLISTENIN' LAD?

rob.h

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I was going to have a go at this on my copy of Four Blow Zero (to give it a fighting chance) but when i took the record out of it's cover somthing told me this is going to fooking warp this buger! it must of been ESP :rolleyes:

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Rich, chill out, ignore these heathens, let them keep their crappy, scratchy records why we vinyl-boilers have smart, shiny, new-looking 45's. :shades:

Pete come on it's only a bit of fun no need to call us all "heathens" wink.gif . Tell you what mate I'll send you a copy of the Rosebuds on Tower if you can inprove the sound without a warp i'll be very happy to pay for the service.

Steve J

Social source share

Ouch !! just hooked my finger through the centre hole of Lester Tipton, dipped it in boiling water and now have third degree burns to my right hand. Won't be using it for some time to come ( not an intended pun ) Am i doing something wrong ??

Are you shure "This won't change"............................... whistling

Ricardo. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

It would never work on styrene.

I warped a styrene 45 just by wiping it round quickly with a soft cloth dipped in hot(ish) water no.gif

Cheers

Richard

Can you direct me to the thread advising this treatment for styrene?thumbup.gif (I'm so chilled Pete, I might start laughing in a minute!)

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

I've discovered you can remove warps from records by leaving them on a tarmac drive on a hot sunny day for 2 hours, and then reversing over them in your motor.

Please note, you must use reverse and tyres must be at 28PSI max. :D

Damn. Just tried that and f*cked my warped Matta Baby by not realising that my rear tyres are in fact @ 30psi. Please make sure no one else makes the same mistake......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

no.gif And thats funny is it. Yeah ok mate.

FFS what a humourless twat. angry.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Was only joking...

Blimey Pete, i don't think we're allowed to joke any more. It's the last time i respond to anything of Chorley's on here.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

In his defence,all he did was come on here and share his "trick" and all you lot have done is take the piss. I've heard of this technique before and woulda liked to have heard more about it. Fat chance now.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

In his defence,all he did was come on here and share his "trick" and all you lot have done is take the piss. I've heard of this technique before and woulda liked to have heard more about it. Fat chance now.

I thought i was a good idea as well John and i'll probably give it a go but his reaction to a few jokey comments is just out of order. I can't be bothered with him. I'm starting to think i'm on ChorleySoul Source these days.

Social source share

Cheers for that mate. I dont need any defending but it's nice to hear a voice of ration. Thing is with some people is that they think it's funny to take the piss out of somebody and when that person does not find it funny, they call him humourless. Yeah, good one that, make somebody the butt of a humourless joke and tell him to enjoy it. Of course it bloody works or I would not have bothered saying so lol! But there's even people on other threads now making remarks about it - as of somebody has advocated it as a method for general cleaning, which is just juvenile. It's a way of saving records that otherwise you'd NEVER play not for yourself or anybody else, so if that is not of interest to these clowns, fair enough. I'm just a Soul fan who likes records. If anybody can give me some good tips on cleaning or 'saving' (DAVE K has indeed done so on here on occasion) them I'm all ears, but I doubt some people will fancy posting any stuff like that after this little charade!thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

I thought i was a good idea as well John and i'll probably give it a go but his reaction to a few jokey comments is just out of order. I can't be bothered with him. I'm starting to think i'm on ChorleySoul Source these days.

The sunshine just went out of my life.sleep3.gif

Social source share

That's the other thing I like about it. Now you can insult me as well and I suppose I'm supposed to find that funny too, I suppose?no.gif

Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

That's the other thing I like about it. Now you can insult me as well and I suppose I'm supposed to find that funny too, I suppose?no.gif

.... and I suppose you think I'm supposed to think its ok for you to over use the word 'suppose' ? ....supposedly smile.gif
Social source share

Tune in for next weeks top tip How to clean your shoes with dog shit whistling.gif

But seriosly this boiling water method seems logical , the turbulance caused by the boiling water would dislodge dirt in a sort of ultrasonic way now theres an idea an ultrasonic record cleaner g.gif Back to the lab thumbsup.gif

Social source share

aything that can be done with a styrene job that has distortion on it?

It doesn't "rescue" the record, but for home enjoyment: invest in the new Ortofon 2M stylus (blue, bronze or black editions - not the red one!).

They've done a really good job with the inbuilt frequency curve on that one, it minimizes and sometimes entirely omits styrene noise from being reproduced.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!