Floresent Smog

Guest vandriver12

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 103
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

A serious rarity, and will cost a four figure sum. There's a queue of people waiting to get their mits on this one. :ohmy:

i heard mick h play this at gloucester nighter...great tune...

moldie

Social source share

will pay £0000 JUST TEL ME WHAT YOU WANT?

there aint that many around no matter how much money you have..when i put this on you-tube last year i had a family member of the band leave a comment and apparently none of the band members even own a copy..i think mick h and sam have a copy..unsure of anybody else

moldie

Social source share

Hasn't Tim auctioned one in the last few years?

That would be his copy gone then...... :thumbup:

Sam I think got his from Rod Dearlove.

Mick H's came from the US a few eyars ago - a vg+ copy - I know cos he beat me to it. :unsure:

Think there are a couple more out there. Somewhere. But let's not go down the road of "naming and shaming" :hatsoff2::yes:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

A serious rarity, and will cost a four figure sum. There's a queue of people waiting to get their mits on this one. laugh.gif

Is it not the same "one" copy that is handed down............................laugh.gif . Poke then Arthur....................then g.gif.

I'll never own one Steve - but then like you - we will both own treasured "first in the queue" memories of this 45.

Thanks.

Nick H thumbsup.gif .

Social source share

there aint that many around no matter how much money you have..when i put this on you-tube last year i had a family member of the band leave a comment and apparently none of the band members even own a copy..i think mick h and sam have a copy..unsure of anybody else

moldie

The YouTube video has disappeared now, unless I'm misspelling it!?

flourescent smog

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

flourescent smog

Florescent is right, but they spell smog with two Gs thumbsup.gif Smogg

Social source share

flourescent smog

hi mike

i was asked to take it down and i did.....the person in question was polite and explained why

moldie

i play it on my cd player in my truck or van these days

Social source share

moldie

Dave Ripolles has one too yes.gif but please don't take that as a cue to pester him for it, cos i would very much doubt it's for saleno.gif

Social source share

Dave Ripolles has one too yes.gif but please don't take that as a cue to pester him for it, cos i would very much doubt it's for saleno.gif

thanks for the info nev......the thing is with owning a tune like that you gotta have the tunes to go with it...no good playing it along side the snake or out on the floor

moldie

Social source share

lololol...i prefer what you play along side those two sean

moldie

:yes:

It's just one of my 'pet hate' records (alongside the Ultimates, Shawn Robinson etc. etc.).

I was telling Steve G the other week at Yarmuff how the vocals grate on me.

Great backing and all that, but the falsetto is all over the place.

A bit 'pitchy' for me dawg' Randy Jackson might say!

:lol:

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

:yes:

It's just one of my 'pet hate' records (alongside the Ultimates, Shawn Robinson etc. etc.).

Sean

yes the singer does lose it in the last 30 seconds. defo got someones hands around his throat

dave

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

That would be his copy gone then...... thumbsup.gif

Sam I think got his from Rod Dearlove.

Mick H's came from the US a few eyars ago - a vg+ copy - I know cos he beat me to it. :sad:

Think there are a couple more out there. Somewhere. But let's not go down the road of "naming and shaming" :laugh::laugh:

My understanding Steve is that Sam got it from JA @ Soul Bowl. Paid an exorbitant £5 as a new release :ohmy: .

Brian

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I see, shame, can you say why it had to be removed? whistling

Not sure whether you were trying to get a listen to it on YouTube, but its on here in Refosoul thumbsup.gif .

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Here's a label scan, which can also confirm correct spelling.

It's scan of Sam's copy - so don't start sending me begging letters laugh.gif .

post-582-12724811371272_thumb.jpg

post-582-12724811371272_thumb.jpg

Social source share

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Sean is right, it is s**t and I would say alongside Mind & Matter etc etc

for the price of those two you could buy a Soul collection that would keep you entertained for years to come!!

Social source share

for the price of those two you could buy a Soul collection that would keep you entertained for years to come!!

Heyup Mike ...sean etc ,if this is a deliberate ploy to try and get someone to part with a copy ..it would work if i had one laugh.gif

Would'nt dare take it outta the hooosesad.gif

That said ..you probably put the original poster off wanting itbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Sam got it about 1986 and brought it down to Rock City Notts . JA turned a couple more up in the 80's . Im sure Chris Huggins had one thumbsup.gif

Gary smelt turned up 3 copies i had one,Nigel parker had one and i think the other went to Rod Dearlove.Sold mine to a mate for £150 but got Nigels from him for a similar price(still have this copy and mate still has my old copy).

Gary told me he had a lp by the group on a tape which he tried/thought about releasing but nothing came from this.

Another freind of mine has a picture of the group on a flyer from the US.

Chris.

Social source share

Gary smelt turned up 3 copies i had one,Nigel parker had one and i think the other went to Rod Dearlove.Sold mine to a mate for £150 but got Nigels from him for a similar price(still have this copy and mate still has my old copy).

Gary told me he had a lp by the group on a tape which he tried/thought about releasing but nothing came from this.

Another freind of mine has a picture of the group on a flyer from the US.

Chris.

Ahh I think you told me . thumbsup.gif I think Butch has only got the flyer :thumbsup:

Social source share

My understanding Steve is that Sam got it from JA @ Soul Bowl. Paid an exorbitant £5 as a new release ohmy.gif .

Brian

Yes you are right. I was there, it was in the 80s, although the record came out in the 70s. AT the time I thought "Why is he buying this? Far better records etc"....But that's the story of my life to quote another song title. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Couldn't agree more, i wish i had two or three of these half-baked rarities, stuff like Joe Jama and Florescent Smogg. I'd sell them in a heart beat and buy some decent sounds. For the right price of course ph34r.gif

Social source share

those who pull this tune to bits are talking bollocks bcoz you must rememba the soul of it is in the imperfection whether it be vocally or arrangement or lyrical some tunes do get up ya nose after a while even class wigan oldies this is why tunes like this are fundamentally refreshing. give the small time guys a break for god sake and enjoy the part humility of the final product .

Social source share

^

I agree. Knocking this record is an example of reverse snobbery. The falsetto vocal and flugel horn are distinctive and, to my ears at least, pretty accomplished. Taking monetary value out of the equation this is a good record. Not the greatest record ever made, certainly, but still far more than adequate.

Social source share

^

I agree. Knocking this record is an example of reverse snobbery. The falsetto vocal and flugel horn are distinctive and, to my ears at least, pretty accomplished. Taking monetary value out of the equation this is a good record. Not the greatest record ever made, certainly, but still far more than adequate.

well said gareth i also think there could be biassed against very rare records period.

Social source share

Sometimes the very rare records are subject to over-exposure and this is probably the case with FS. Had there been enough copies around to make this a hundred quid sound we wouldn't hear it as much, but I maintain that it's more than competent small-label soul which shows real talent in the group line-up.

Social source share

those who pull this tune to bits are talking bollocks bcoz you must rememba the soul of it is in the imperfection whether it be vocally or arrangement or lyrical some tunes do get up ya nose after a while even class wigan oldies this is why tunes like this are fundamentally refreshing. give the small time guys a break for god sake and enjoy the part humility of the final product .

Sorry chaps, but personal taste is by definition 'personal'.

Its not bollocks to not like something.

That's nonsense.

It might enjoyable or refreshing to you fuzzj, but I've been hearing it played out for 20+ years... and would much prefer never to hear it again, thank you!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

^

The falsetto vocal and flugel horn are distinctive and, to my ears at least, pretty accomplished. Taking monetary value out of the equation this is a good record. Not the greatest record ever made, certainly, but still far more than adequate.

To each his own Gareth, but I've played the Horn since I was 8 years old and there's nothing 'accomplished' or even 'adequate' about it - to my ears!

Must admit, the lead guy's a better vocalist than me though.

But only just :thumbup:

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share