cover Up Songs?

Last years I met this term quite often in playlists even in sales lists!

What is the ΄΄cover up΄΄? Is it a new trend or something?

I tried to give a definition. Here are some possible options:

(A) I know/have a tune quite scarce/obscure that you probably don't know.

It doesn't represent the truth. How could somebody be informed that I have «discovered» this tune if I don't tell him that? So better this way...

(B) I know/have a tune that you probably don't know and I want to inform you that I know/have it!

Sounds better, but still has troubles! So better this...

© I know/have a tune that you probably don't know. I wanna keep its identity secret but on the other hand I want to inform you that I know/have it!

This is quite close to the truth but i was wondering how sensible is...

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Last years I met this term quite often in playlists even in sales lists!

What is the ΄΄cover up΄΄? Is it a new trend or something?

I tried to give a definition. Here are some possible options:

(A) I know/have a tune quite scarce/obscure that you probably don't know.

It doesn't represent the truth. How could somebody be informed that I have «discovered» this tune if I don't tell him that? So better this way...

(B) I know/have a tune that you probably don't know and I want to inform you that I know/have it!

Sounds better, but still has troubles! So better this...

© I know/have a tune that you probably don't know. I wanna keep its identity secret but on the other hand I want to inform you that I know/have it!

This is quite close to the truth but i was wondering how sensible is...

d.) All of that above :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Cover ups been about as long as the scene and simply give the DJ a bit of exclusivity on the disc until others come along, if they come along.

Exactly :hatsoff2:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Cover ups been about as long as the scene and simply give the DJ a bit of exclusivity on the disc until others come along, if they come along.

Are there levels in exclusivity? I think that exclusivity is like black and white. You have it or not.

If ''credit'' is the right/wanted word, everybody can have it by giving full info.

Social source share

The first cover ups date back to The Wheel .

Malc

Social source share

Are there levels in exclusivity? I think that exclusivity is like black and white. You have it or not.

If ''credit'' is the right/wanted word, everybody can have it by giving full info.

If everyone has the full info then it isn't exclusive is it.

The DJ's keep the info to themselves purely to keep it exclusive. It is then up to others to work out what it is (which is part of the fun IMO) and the seek the disc out. Up to others if they keep it covered up which if there are still just two or three copies they usually do, or uncover it.

Social source share

and its not exclusive to the uk soul scene either as jamaican sound systems way back in the 'ska' days were doin it ,physically covering up or scratching the artist and title off the label....and as this would have been even before the wheel days must be a natural dj thing where the tunes are soooo important

dean

Social source share

Guest unklbrian

this would probably be the best known Ja 'coverup' - pre ska - pre shuffle even

Willis 'Gatortail' Jackson - Later for the Gator - renamed as Coxsone Shuffle [mid/late 50s]

more info on the link

Social source share

this would probably be the best known Ja 'coverup' - pre ska - pre shuffle even

Willis 'Gatortail' Jackson - Later for the Gator - renamed as Coxsone Shuffle [mid/late 50s]

more info on the link

During the late '50s, when "The Pick Up" by Etta James was played on Jamaican sound systems, it was covered up as "Crazy Feeling" by Donna Hightower - apparently also bootleged on Jamaican Kent (or Down Beat?) as "Donna Higtower" (sic).

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest barrympls

Hey guys; barrympls here (new member).

I'm fond of most of the records that are considered "Northern Soul", but as I understand it, DJ's think they're being cool by playing songs and covering up the labels so nobody can discover what they are. This has always struck me a immatural and silly.

It can fun to have the only known copy of a cool record, but it's also cool to influence people to find their copy, too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!