Do You Have Enough Money To Be A Top Northern Soul Dj?

It's a question I'm curious about.

I think the general concensus on here, is that generally the most-rated DJ's on the Northern Soul scene are the guys that play authentic original copies of highly rare records, both known and unknown. This applies to both current rare and popular oldies DJ's - in other words, right across the spectrum of the whole scene.

So, accepting the philosophy that in order to become a top Northern Soul DJ these days in pretty much all areas of the scene, one needs to have a large box full of rare originals worth tens of thousands of pounds, then doesn't that suggest that the scene is pre-disposed to those with a huge amount of disposable income?

I'm long, long gone from the cutting edge of rare record collecting these days but I keep an eye on things and occasionally get lucky every so often, so obviously I keep an eye on current prices and generally end up weeping LOL.

If I were to re-create the same 200 count box that cost me less than £300 in 1975, it would cost me a minimum of £30K now and probably nearer £50K. If I , included my overall collection at the time into the equation, then we'd be talking circa £200K at todays prices (mainly 'cos I had all the 70's stuff that's now off the scale).

So obviously I've thought about this and figured out that there's a massive amount of difference between the passionate Northern Soul DJ's of the 1970's and the passionate Northern Soul DJ's of today.

Without a doubt, I personally 100% rode the route of enjoying and playing super-rare records that no one else had, and naturally, a certain amount of ego was involved. But records were relatively cheap back then and most aspiring DJ's were beavering away getting their own choices together well within most people's disposable income levels. So the path towards becoming a popular Northern Soul DJ back then somehow seemed a bit more organic in that virtually anyone could get within reach of the top guys providing they had the right taste and made smart buying choices. It didn't really start becoming a money-lead thing until '75/'76 in my view. In fact, when it started going that route, I got the hell out of dodge and started looking for records at the source. The economics made a bit more sense.

So I guess the question is: do you need a £50K collection of originals to even get into the top-strata these days?

And, as a result, has Northern Soul become a rich man's sport?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Interesting topic for me. I am an American and have only been collecting soul 45s for about 10 years. I simply can't compete for the big records (don't have enough money and don't want my wife to murder me in my sleep for spending our retirement on records).

Instead, I have spent my time spending in the 20-100 dollar range. There seem to be plenty of records in that range that are awesome and relatively unknown or underplayed. For example, I bought "baby don't play around" by Leona Dunn on Hallmark for 10 bucks. Sounds awesome and fresh to me! You may see my threads on here in which I get more experienced soul collectors to give "cheap as chips" suggestions. That's all I can (or my wife will let me) spend!

Since I don't spin for "soulsters" (but folks that just want to drink beer and dance in a neighborhood bar), this is fine. Sometimes I lament the fact that no one appreciates my "big" records (which for me is like a 100 dollar record), but then again, I am under no pressure to bankrupt myself.

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

a good dj is a good dj no matter how expensive their records are but to own the most rare and sought after records you will have to have a very large piggy bank to fund buying them if of course you could find them and persaude the owner to part with them, owning expensive records will always be an expensive hobby but being rated as a good dj to me has nothing to do with having big money items but it helps to get recognised thats for sure, for me i rate djs for how they put a set together and of course if i like what they are playing but sometimes ive enjoyed djs that ive not nessaceraly liked what they have played but for the passion they showed playing what they believed in playing, persoanlly i would love to own all the big money rarities but alas i dont have the funds to do so but at only 43 years of age and many more years in fornt of me then you never know i might just get some of those i dream of owning one day :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

may i also add that djs that own rare records sets you apart from many other djs with cheaper collections (couldnt think of a better way of putting it) that all seem to be playing out the same dj box, not in all cases as the last few years the venues ive enjoyed the most are the venues playing rare and underplayed and most of them tunes i hear are well within my budget and most definatley just about everyones budget imho, some cracking tunes out there less than 3 figures that could easily become the next one everyone is talking about :thumbsup:

Social source share

No and Yes :thumbsup:

Thats the answer to title and to your final question Ian :thumbsup:

Mmmm. Interesting answer Steve.

The weird thing is that whenever I previously had random influxes of cash throughout the 70's and 80's I immediately re-invested in originals of records I loved. However, that particular avenue became less and less appetising in the 90's and 00's as I realised I was being WAAAY, WAAAY, WAAAY priced out on stuff. Plus I had a massively expensive lifestyle and family to maintain etc, etc, so watching things like my old one-off copy of Si Hightower reach such exalted heights made collecting more of an spectator sport rather than an active interest for me.

I couldn't afford it anymore dammit.

No sweat though. I've always been tight.

Whenever I've bought a record for an astronomical amount of money, I've always been paranoid about damaging it. Which is additional stress to someone like me. I get nightmare visions of Richard's Jades Nite-Life demo getting fried on a fish shop counter and who needs that.........? I have enough hassle in my life without that LOL....

Whereas, whenever I've bought a record for cents, pence, dollars or quids I seem to have a slightly more cavaliere attitude and just sling the bastard around and play it everywhere. And sometimes that brings a nice surprise. That's how "Send Him Back" started.

I just don't know if that's possible anymore. There are plenty of DJ's with great taste out there who can put a decent set together with cheap tunes but do they have any widespread commercial audience or critical credibility? Probably not I reckon. Some guy with a £30K collection will wave at 'em as he flies past. It's the nature of the beast.

And, of course, there are established DJ's with great taste who can and do play cheapies along with super rarities and we love 'em for it. But can anyone with less than a £20K box get in?

Ian D :)

Social source share

What about those who bought as they went along, through each decade, slowly adding to their collections, working at buying right & putting the effort in, going to the source, trading up etc.

I doubt they've spent that much in real terms? To my mind if you were an active buyer in the 80's and 90's (pre returnees) and knew what you were buying then this is when records were at their cheapest ( compared to wages, cost of living etc)

It's different if you're talking about starting from scratch now - a decent average playbox, say approx 300 records at a grand average += £300, 000, but that's the same if you compared starting fresh at the bottom in any field. There's some football clubs in this country that would run you 30 million + to buy, that a few years back you could have had for the price of a packet of fags.

Social source share

What about those who bought as they went along, through each decade, slowly adding to their collections, working at buying right & putting the effort in, going to the source, trading up etc.

I doubt they've spent that much in real terms? To my mind if you were an active buyer in the 80's and 90's (pre returnees) and knew what you were buying then this is when records were at their cheapest ( compared to wages, cost of living etc)

It's different if you're talking about starting from scratch now - a decent average playbox, say approx 300 records at a grand average += £300, 000, but that's the same if you compared starting fresh at the bottom in any field. There's some football clubs in this country that would run you 30 million + to buy, that a few years back you could have had for the price of a packet of fags.

Social source share

:thumbsup: ENJOY WHAT YOUVE GOT AND ENJOY WHAT YOU PLAY.

For sure Gary but that's not the same thing as hoping to fill a 500 capacity venue and then getting 'em all dancing to a frenzy before they all eventually succumb to mass total exhaustion.

You don't get that with £10 records! :thumbsup:

To get that, kind of reaction you need at least 4 x £2.5K granders, 3 x £2K granders and 3 x £1.5K granders OK?

£19.5K and that's just 10 records or 25 minutes.

£40K for an hour minimum

Get with the pros mate!

Social source share

For sure Gary but that's not the same thing as hoping to fill a 500 capacity venue and then getting 'em all dancing to a frenzy before they all eventually succumb to mass total exhaustion.

You don't get that with £10 records! :thumbsup:

To get that, kind of reaction you need at least 4 x £2.5K granders, 3 x £2K granders and 3 x £1.5K granders OK?

£19.5K and that's just 10 records or 25 minutes.

£40K for an hour minimum

Get with the pros mate!

And you wonder why PPL want to up there prices ph34r.gif

Social source share

IF IN FOOTBALL TERMS I DOUBT A 50K BOX WOULD BARELY GET YOU INTO LEAGUE ONE IAN, NEVER MIND THE PREMIERSHIP ELITE :thumbsup: SO DEFFO A RICH MANS SPORT

BRI PINCH

OK Bri, let's assume that I have impeccable taste and great instincts and I win the Euromillions lottery tomorrow and decide to buy EVERY killer rare record because I can. Money no object. Y'know leave Honky in the dust with his chump change LOL.....

Surely the mere fact that I could acquire a £1,000,000 playbox very quickly would surely guarantee No.1 DJ status wouldn't it? The biggest dick on the block has always been an irresistible option to most people in my experience. :thumbsup:

Boy. If I win that lottery and get unlimited funds I'll buy out Moerer, Manship, Brown, Brady and Jeffries in one fell swoop and scoop up the rest of 'em in the next couple of days. I'll corner the market in rare soul vinyl and.........................

Time for bed I think.

God bless.

Social source share

And you wonder why PPL want to up there prices ph34r.gif

LOL. Good point. :thumbsup:

The price of a rare record has seldom fed through to the artist. The PPL thing is a different arena entirely but there's a remarkably similarity to the usual story, namely, that the artist generally ends up at the end of the food chain one way or the other.

If I actually believed that PPL money would eventually wing it's way over to the rightful recipients, I'd be pretty gung-ho. But I lack that level of confidence which is a shame.

Social source share

Why bother?

Back in the day my real life saw me designing record sleeves for "superstar dj's" like The Chemical Brothers.

They were paid unbelievably vast amounts for playing out records they were given for nothing.

In contrast us muppets on the rare soul scene pay vast amounts for records we play out for nothing. In most cases we wouldn't even get our tube fares/petrol money.

Why would anyone bother assembling a ridiculously expensive collection of rare records unless you were an eccentric millionaire?

Arguably for the love of the music - which is why we mugs do it - but surely not for the kudos?

The other consideration is that a lot of the landmark/popular records on the rare soul scene in the last 25+ years or so were from the vaults and therefore money wouldn't count for much anyway.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest soul over easy

well i dont think being able to afford an expensive collection makes you a top dj? a decent dj will play a set that will keep the floor pretty full and the onus is on him or her to read the floor.A very close friend of mine as a collection in the 80k bracket, good luck to him and everyone else who can afford them... am sure we all would own these collections if we had the income?.What is important however is that the dj with or without an expensive collection, does his best to please the punters.For its the punters remember? who pay week in week out to come and support the venues and listen to all the dj,s of what ever level theyre at.

Social source share

Listening to a dj just playin big sounds discovered/broken by somebody elses hardwork isnt everyones idea of top ns dj, or great night out.

Prefer to hear someone with the confidence for a few unknowns (underplayed from yesterday or the big sounds of tomorrow maybe)

Plus if your trying to fill a big venue, as a promoter how do you convince yourself and folk this unknown guy is gonna pull

in the crowd and manage to play these big ticket tunes in the right order. Ah yes maybe MrLoadsamoney can pay for everyone to come in

to his own night, right next door to an established outlet :)

Social source share

Good thread & food for thought, but many of tomorrows monster sounds are sitting around in peoples 'tut' boxes for reasonable prices right now at Allnighters & Soul Nights, its about how its always been.......diggin', diggin', diggin & knowledge gained from experience, tenacity & a bit of luck.

I honestly believe that you can build a great collection of records for DJing purposes with hard work, as opposed to a large wallet & its far more fun & you gain knowledge, contacts & a bit of a nose for em by doing it this way.

Prices are relative, someone back in the early 7ts for example could only dream of buying the top sounds, once they were top sounds...........its more difficult now, but you have to find records in a left field way & be inventive, it also helps if your not chasing Butch's top play, but find your own niche......along the way you might get lucky & find some big oldies too, some you wont like, so you either trade for what you do like or sell & again put the money to towards summat else.

There are also forgotten gems out there that are waiting to be re discovered, so CD & MP3 swapping, searching old play lists, listening to old 'live' tapes & chatting to folk at Nighters & record bars will broaden your personal taste as to what you slip under the radar on. Find an unknown or under valued cheapie then buy up a few copies over time & sell em on for a small profit to reinvest. None of this is anything new, it just takes time & patience.

Like anything, if you are starting from scratch it will take time & a certain amount of money, but sorry to be boring here, hard work & an ear are more important than just a large wallet.

Russ

Social source share

I definitely believe that it depends a lot on who is playing the records, i've seen people clear floors with 4 figure 45s & others keep the floor moving with a set of 2 figure 45s. It's about reading things from night to night. The records don't necessarily make the DJ, one has to know how to use them.

Social source share

I definitely believe that it depends a lot on who is playing the records, i've seen people clear floors with 4 figure 45s & others keep the floor moving with a set of 2 figure 45s. It's about reading things from night to night. The records don't necessarily make the DJ, one has to know how to use them.

I have to agree Kris, a good DJ knows how to use the tunes in his box to suit the venue. Plenty of big money records would clear the floor in a lot of venues, and this all comes back to the "just because it's rare doesn't mean it's any good" argument. I've had one collection smashed into pieces, sold one during a dark time in my life, and am now collecting again. I don't have that much to spend, and can't replace a lot of the things I had 12 years ago, but there are still decent things to be had cheap, and bargains to be found as long as you're prepared to put the work in, and I've managed to pick up a few £250-£500 records without spending that much on them, by sheer persistence, and the willing to look through pages and pages of google results and radio station record sales lists.

There a few up and coming dj's who dont have a box full original (but not £1000+) records, but still manage to play an exciting and crowd pleasing set at some of the venues I go to, and I know there are some venues/soul nights where a dj can fill the dance floor all night by playing a box icluding a fair sprinkling of pressings, which I believed happened at the recent Ritz all-nighter!

It all seems to depend on the promoters, if they're "rare soul" afficionados they put on the "Rare Soul" DJ's with the huge money items and attract that sort of crowd - so I guess it all depends just where you WANT to be able to DJ.

Social source share

Some good points on here but it's all relative. I remember back in the 70s not being able to afford most things on the lists that poped through me letterbox. The top DJs spent a fortune compared to us mere mortals - £35 for Lou Pride, £20 for this etc. Records more than a whole week's wages. These were guys who by and large were 5 - 10 years older than me. As soon as a new record broke big all too often the Top DJs seemingly all managed to get a copy. Another famous name with £100 weekly "pocket money" to spend each week etc etc. Please let's not try and rewrite history making out that DJs in the 70s didn't spend money and the records were all 50p throwaways - certainly not the rare stuff.

Also agree with the point that you got to collect for a long time to build up a collection and know what you're doing. I've seen one or two go at it hammer and tongs to develop a "trophy box" of titles by spending their inheritance, lottery winnings, or their bosses cash whatever. But the examples I can think of never have the depth and soon lose interest in it all when they realise they are not revered.

Also agree with the point about dancing to one DJ and not another - really funny example of this at a nighter recently. But as the member is on here not going to embarrass them publically.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Also agree with the point that you got to collect for a long time to build up a collection and know what you're doing. I've seen one or two go at it hammer and tongs to develop a "trophy box" of titles by spending their inheritance, lottery winnings, or their bosses cash whatever. But the examples I can think of never have the depth and soon lose interest in it all when they realise they are not revered.

As soon as I started reading this thread, this came straight to mind. Anyone know where he is these days? :)

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest soul over easy

=======================================================================================================================

Sorry...that's not correct.  If you have ben a DJ since the dawn of Godin and before then fine...slow and steady wins the financial race.  If you started from scratch even ten years ago then you must spend a fortune to be anywhere near giving a reasonable service.  What if the floor reads 'give us some great and rare oldies'...they cost!!!  There are loads of great cheapie sounds out there that people love but they expect some rarities even if they don't ask for them..they want some serious money sounds to turn up now and then.

Of course you could play boots, reissues, Sevens  and carvers...but I couldn't personally... I'm a Soul Snob so I wouldn't ....at my own expense. That's why I never understand this scoffing at wannabee DJ's who are spending a lot of money because they just want to do it. (that's me)

I'l never get the return from what I get paid DJ'ing...and I don't care....I just love the music and trying to make people want to dance.

Northern Soul DJ'ing is like making love....if you just think about yourself then you're an arsehole.  It's all about blowing somebody else's mind too.  You have to think about both (all) participants. (the DJ is entitled to get off on it too...that's not ego!!!!)

Nobody tries to become a Northern Soul DJ for their own ego alone...too bloody expensive by far!!!!!  The only way my ego would be served would be if everybody was loving the set...not playing my personal agenda that they hated.  Come on..what DJ wants an empty floor????

My perception of people who rant on about 'ego' and such in respect of Northern DJ's is that either they have met a lot of very foolish DJ's who actually don't care about their audience OR they are just people who haven't got the balls (or the money) to do it themselves.

Just my opinion.

dogstoat

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

ive got one or two mates who have been collecting since the mid 70,s and started off with pressings but have now built healthy all original vinyl collections with great knowledge.Yet again its gonna fall into what taste you have in northern... if you want to hear some dj,s who,s got rare expensive records then go to the venues who caters for this.If you want oldies then go to an oldies venue,as for a dj refusing to play a boot or reissues youre wrong pal! if a punter as requested a song and you have it but not an original, its youre job to spin it for there enjoyment and everybody else to hear or dance.You have been invited to dj at who ever hosts the venue to entertain the punters not youreself?,Thats why probably wanna be dj,s are trying to have a go themselves now, because they might be just that little fed up of dj,s with expensive collections dictating to them what should or shouldnt be spun... another thing the average punter couldnt care less what label the dj as a certain record on or what theyve paid for it? the punter is there to hear sounds they appreciate and have a good time.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'd rather hear a set of brilliant cheapies played by a DJ who has thought long and hard about his playbox and has an inventive and original style than a DJ set, costing thousands of pounds, of records i've heard a million times before, but that's just me.

I think it's a myth that you need a fortune to fill a quality playbox. What you really need is imagination, a good ear and be prepared to take a risk. That's what I respect.

We are also talking about two different scenes here. At Move On we regularly spin plenty of cheap unknowns and rarely played amongst the more expensive tracks. People are gobsmacked when they come up expecting you to say it was a few hundred quid but tell them it was a tenner. At the end of the day there are literally hundreds of thousands of brilliant neglected sounds out there that don't cost a fortune. The rare and upfront scene is more forgiving of DJs playing underplayed cheapies as long as they are quality. On the other hand if you are DJing at an oldies night and it's ovo (stop laughing at the back...) then you might need a few big money spinners. There are plenty of cheap oldies out there but the problem is that most of the other oldies DJs will easily be able to reproduce your spot and might even play the records you have before you get on. Someone on another thread said if he couldn't afford something he'd buy the boot, well if all the odies DJs do the same, then everyone has the same playbox of crowd pleasers on boots and carvers. The biggest reason i'm ovo is because I think it forces DJs to think about what they acquire. Especially if they don't have much money (like me).

Having said all that, Ian asked 'can you be a top northern soul DJ without a gold plated collection'? I'm not sure what a top northern soul DJ is, one that gets spots everywhere, or is actually a good DJ? It seems to me you can probably get bookings everywhere as an oldies DJ with a box of boots thesedays.

Personally I think playing a few quality cheap originals and digging for stuff others won't play because they are cheap keeps it fresh and interesting. That's the way I like it. :)

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I'd rather hear a set of brilliant cheapies played by a DJ who has thought long and hard about his playbox and has an inventive and original style than a DJ set, costing thousands of pounds, of records i've heard a million times before, but that's just me.

I think it's a myth that you need a fortune to fill a quality playbox. What you really need is imagination, a good ear and be prepared to take a risk. That's what I respect.

We are also talking about two different scenes here. At Move On we regularly spin plenty of cheap unknowns and rarely played amongst the more expensive tracks. People are gobsmacked when they come up expecting you to say it was a few hundred quid but tell them it was a tenner. At the end of the day there are literally hundreds of thousands of brilliant neglected sounds out there that don't cost a fortune. The rare and upfront scene is more forgiving of DJs playing underplayed cheapies as long as they are quality. On the other hand if you are DJing at an oldies night and it's ovo (stop laughing at the back...) then you might need a few big money spinners. There are plenty of cheap oldies out there but the problem is that most of the other oldies DJs will easily be able to reproduce your spot and might even play the records you have before you get on. Someone on another thread said if he couldn't afford something he'd buy the boot, well if all the odies DJs do the same, then everyone has the same playbox of crowd pleasers on boots and carvers. The biggest reason i'm ovo is because I think it forces DJs to think about what they acquire. Especially if they don't have much money (like me).

Having said all that, Ian asked 'can you be a top northern soul DJ without a gold plated collection'? I'm not sure what a top northern soul DJ is, one that gets spots everywhere, or is actually a good DJ? It seems to me you can probably get bookings everywhere as an oldies DJ with a box of boots thesedays.

Personally I think playing a few quality cheap originals and digging for stuff others won't play because they are cheap keeps it fresh and interesting. That's the way I like it. :)

Well said Matt, I agree with every word!

Social source share

ive got one or two mates who have been collecting since the mid 70,s and started off with pressings but have now built healthy all original vinyl collections with great knowledge.Yet again its gonna fall into what taste you have in northern... if you want to hear some dj,s who,s got rare expensive records then go to the venues who caters for this.If you want oldies then go to an oldies venue,as for a dj refusing to play a boot or reissues youre wrong pal! if a punter as requested a song and you have it but not an original, its youre job to spin it for there enjoyment and everybody else to hear or dance.You have been invited to dj at who ever hosts the venue to entertain the punters not youreself?,Thats why probably wanna be dj,s are trying to have a go themselves now, because they might be just that little fed up of dj,s with expensive collections dictating to them what should or shouldnt be spun... another thing the average punter couldnt care less what label the dj as a certain record on or what theyve paid for it? the punter is there to hear sounds they appreciate and have a good time.

Stop it now,you're making my sides ache.This is about top end dj's and collecting,not pissing about keeping the floor full with £5 pressings.If as you say its the dj's job to respond to requests at the behest of one and all,and not think for himself,then he may as well sell up and sign on.

Back on topic in a way.Ian...this question could be turned on its head as well.What if you won the lottery on Saturday,a cool couple of million.Money no object.Where would you start to collect,and could you catch up the big boys regarding quality and rareity?

In short my answer is the same as Steve...no and yes.

Social source share

Theres two ways me thinks.

One in fact is you are a millionaire and use your money to enrich ebay or dealers...but personally I only know one

The other is you have started early enough to have enough records (to either find the one or two re-activated emperor`s new clothes in your collection to play out and / or to sell records you once bought cheap for a much higher nowadays price)

PLUS

and thats the mnain thing IMVHO

you have an ear, go around, listen to different DJ`s, are open for new sounds and impressions, buy blind, take the risk, dig hard, search everywhere, are imaginative, have good contacts, know a lot of fellow collectors, know even more dealers, hustle around, are a part-time dealer, are able to let things go, spend several hrs each day on the net on the look for new stuff CHEAP

I believe the last part is the real truth behind people like Andy Dyson, Mark D, etc ... so to state the old "its a rich mans game, you have to be a millionaire etc" is a lame excuse and most of the time used by people who are too lazy to be as active, to do the same or who are simply just jealous or like to moan in general.

Just my opinion.

(no offence and not intended against anyone taking part in this thread of course)

Marc

Social source share

You're probably a real nice chap SOE but, you really have no idea have you that there's a whole world full of collectors out here. The busiest, most respected DJs on your beloved 'scene' all play original vinyl. Most have spent most of their adult lives building their collections up. Sure, there are a couple of money bags "Johnny Come Lately's" but they never seem to last the whole race, they're here today, gone tomorrow and their records find their way into real collectors boxes eventually. :)

To even compare you're bootleg playing activities with ANY DJ who plays the real thing is a joke. But the worst thing about your posts is that you constantly advise people that THEY are WRONG for not playing bootlegs, that's almost insulting. :wave:

The guys that for some reason really want to DJ but can't source the rarities to be accepted with the "Big Boys" usually employ a little imagination in their collecting and gather at like minded events. I may not appreciate the actual music they play at times but I do admire their independence and willingness to try and establish their own niche within the soul fraternity. Whereas your outlook is about as alien to me as it could possibly be. Bootlegs of oldies in 2011? What's the point? Unless of course you're an "Ebay warrior" who finds it much more comfortable to sit at home clicking on bootleg oldies 45s at a tenner each rather than source a few unique records, buy a few decent oldies, search out a few LP tracks, develop some overseas contacts, buy a few blind, buy a few 'newies', and piece together something that actually warrants the term "Set' as opposed to becoming another, monkey like, record "putter-on-erer" with a boot of Jo Jampot followed by a carver of The Parliaments.

Regards,

Dave

I've just realised I've bitten! Well so be it. I've been doing this for over 35 years and I'm tired of being constantly told that "real DJs" play what the punter requests even if it's a bootleg. Close in, come closer......no, closer.......no, even closer.............NO THEY DON'T!! THEY FIND SOMETHING ELSE OF EQUAL QUALITY TO PLAY!! That loud enough for ya?? :P

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Back on topic in a way.Ian...this question could be turned on its head as well.What if you won the lottery on Saturday,a cool couple of million.Money no object.Where would you start to collect,and could you catch up the big boys regarding quality and rareity?

In short my answer is the same as Steve...no and yes.

That's the rub. Euromillions is £150m this week I think. If we won it would we go off and buy all the big money spinners and crowd pleasers to make ourselves an instant northern soul DJ or would we carry on looking for stuff very few people play whatever the cost and even if it means we will never DJ at the big nighters?

I'd like to think i'd carry on doing the latter, with a big money I could buy Jimmy Moore, Lanny Hunt, Freddie Hill, Four Real Inc and all the others i've heard over the last few years but can't afford. None of which would make me a big nighter DJ, but would make me happy. :)

Social source share

you have an ear, go around, listen to different DJ`s, are open for new sounds and impressions, buy blind, take the risk, dig hard, search everywhere, are imaginative, have good contacts, know a lot of fellow collectors, know even more dealers, hustle around, are a part-time dealer, are able to let things go, spend several hrs each day on the net on the look for new stuff CHEAP

Marc

:)

And of course have the balls to play 'em when the opportunity arises.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

'If we won it would we go off and buy all the big money spinners and crowd pleasers to make ourselves an instant northern soul DJ'

Surely you have to just buy what you like, if its very expensive and you are flush enough or lucky enough to buy it do so, if not carrying on wishing like the rest of us. The idea you would just buy stuff because thats what you are supposed to buy not matter what the cost suggests you are into the whole thing for reason other than genuine love of the music?

I've been turned over more times than i can shake a stick at, had far less results on 45s, but i keep coming back for more because a.) i'm stupid and b.) have a terminal affliction called 'love of soul music' (and associated genres, but thats a sad complication of my symptoms and too boring to go into here) :thumbsup:

Not a dig at you btw Matt, understand the point you were making. thumbsup.gif

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Why bother?

Back in the day my real life saw me designing record sleeves for "superstar dj's" like The Chemical Brothers.

They were paid unbelievably vast amounts for playing out records they were given for nothing.

In contrast us muppets on the rare soul scene pay vast amounts for records we play out for nothing. In most cases we wouldn't even get our tube fares/petrol money.

Why would anyone bother assembling a ridiculously expensive collection of rare records unless you were an eccentric millionaire?

Arguably for the love of the music - which is why we mugs do it - but surely not for the kudos?

The other consideration is that a lot of the landmark/popular records on the rare soul scene in the last 25+ years or so were from the vaults and therefore money wouldn't count for much anyway.

Maybe you should stick with the Chemical Brothers. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

'If we won it would we go off and buy all the big money spinners and crowd pleasers to make ourselves an instant northern soul DJ'

Surely you have to just buy what you like, if its very expensive and you are flush enough or lucky enough to buy it do so, if not carrying on wishing like the rest of us. The idea you would just buy stuff because thats what you are supposed to buy not matter what the cost suggests you are into the whole thing for reason other than genuine love of the music?

I've been turned over more times than i can shake a stick at, had far less results on 45s, but i keep coming back for more because a.) i'm stupid and b.) have a terminal affliction called 'love of soul music' (and associated genres, but thats a sad complication of my symptoms and too boring to go into here) :ohmy:

Not a dig at you btw Matt, understand the point you were making. thumbsup.gif

I agree, I only ever buy what I like as well (apart from Kings Go Forth which I bought several of and then flogged :thumbsup: ) . As has been said on here before, why would anyone buy records they don't like just to fill a dancefloor, but amazingly some people do just that. I reckon there are people who, if they had the money to buy the records, would put their reputation and the kudos of getting big nighter spots in front of their love for the music they play. Depressing but true. :lol:

Social source share

You're probably a real nice chap SOE but, you really have no idea have you that there's a whole world full of collectors out here. The busiest, most respected DJs on your beloved 'scene' all play original vinyl. Most have spent most of their adult lives building their collections up. Sure, there are a couple of money bags "Johnny Come Lately's" but they never seem to last the whole race, they're here today, gone tomorrow and their records find their way into real collectors boxes eventually. :lol:

To even compare you're bootleg playing activities with ANY DJ who plays the real thing is a joke. But the worst thing about your posts is that you constantly advise people that THEY are WRONG for not playing bootlegs, that's almost insulting. laugh.gif

The guys that for some reason really want to DJ but can't source the rarities to be accepted with the "Big Boys" usually employ a little imagination in their collecting and gather at like minded events. I may not appreciate the actual music they play at times but I do admire their independence and willingness to try and establish their own niche within the soul fraternity. Whereas your outlook is about as alien to me as it could possibly be. Bootlegs of oldies in 2011? What's the point? Unless of course you're an "Ebay warrior" who finds it much more comfortable to sit at home clicking on bootleg oldies 45s at a tenner each rather than source a few unique records, buy a few decent oldies, search out a few LP tracks, develop some overseas contacts, buy a few blind, buy a few 'newies', and piece together something that actually warrants the term "Set' as opposed to becoming another, monkey like, record "putter-on-erer" with a boot of Jo Jampot followed by a carver of The Parliaments.

Regards,

Dave

I've just realised I've bitten! Well so be it. I've been doing this for over 35 years and I'm tired of being constantly told that "real DJs" play what the punter requests even if it's a bootleg. Close in, come closer......no, closer.......no, even closer.............NO THEY DON'T!! THEY FIND SOMETHING ELSE OF EQUAL QUALITY TO PLAY!! That loud enough for ya?? laugh.gif

That's it in a nutshell...........:ohmy:

Mind, if the numbers come up tonight...................................:thumbsup:

biggrin.gif

Tony

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

You're probably a real nice chap SOE but, you really have no idea have you that there's a whole world full of collectors out here.  The busiest, most respected DJs on your beloved 'scene' all play original vinyl. Most have spent most of their adult lives building their collections up. Sure, there are a couple of money bags "Johnny Come Lately's" but they never seem to last the whole race, they're here today, gone tomorrow and their records find their way into real collectors boxes eventually.   :thumbsup:' />

To even compare you're bootleg playing activities with ANY DJ who plays the real thing is a joke. But the worst thing about your posts is that you constantly advise people that THEY are WRONG for not playing bootlegs, that's almost insulting.  :ohmy:' />

The guys that for some reason really want to DJ but can't source the rarities to be accepted with the "Big Boys" usually employ a little imagination in their collecting and gather at like minded events. I may not appreciate the actual music they play at times but I do admire their independence and willingness to try and establish their own niche within the soul fraternity. Whereas your outlook is about as alien to me as it could possibly be. Bootlegs of oldies in 2011? What's the point? Unless of course  you're an "Ebay warrior"  who finds it much more comfortable to sit at home clicking on bootleg oldies 45s at a tenner each rather than source a few unique records, buy a few decent oldies, search out a few LP tracks, develop some overseas contacts, buy a few blind, buy a few 'newies', and piece together something that actually warrants the term "Set' as opposed to becoming another, monkey like, record "putter-on-erer" with a boot of Jo Jampot followed by a carver of The Parliaments.

Regards,

Dave

I've just realised I've bitten! Well so be it. I've been doing this for over 35 years and I'm tired of being constantly told that "real DJs" play what the punter requests even if it's a bootleg. Close in, come closer......no, closer.......no, even closer.............NO THEY DON'T!! THEY FIND SOMETHING ELSE OF EQUAL QUALITY TO PLAY!! That loud enough for ya??   :lol:' />

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

You're probably a real nice chap SOE but, you really have no idea have you that there's a whole world full of collectors out here.  The busiest, most respected DJs on your beloved 'scene' all play original vinyl. Most have spent most of their adult lives building their collections up. Sure, there are a couple of money bags "Johnny Come Lately's" but they never seem to last the whole race, they're here today, gone tomorrow and their records find their way into real collectors boxes eventually.   :thumbsup:' />

To even compare you're bootleg playing activities with ANY DJ who plays the real thing is a joke. But the worst thing about your posts is that you constantly advise people that THEY are WRONG for not playing bootlegs, that's almost insulting.  :ohmy:' />

The guys that for some reason really want to DJ but can't source the rarities to be accepted with the "Big Boys" usually employ a little imagination in their collecting and gather at like minded events. I may not appreciate the actual music they play at times but I do admire their independence and willingness to try and establish their own niche within the soul fraternity. Whereas your outlook is about as alien to me as it could possibly be. Bootlegs of oldies in 2011? What's the point? Unless of course  you're an "Ebay warrior"  who finds it much more comfortable to sit at home clicking on bootleg oldies 45s at a tenner each rather than source a few unique records, buy a few decent oldies, search out a few LP tracks, develop some overseas contacts, buy a few blind, buy a few 'newies', and piece together something that actually warrants the term "Set' as opposed to becoming another, monkey like, record "putter-on-erer" with a boot of Jo Jampot followed by a carver of The Parliaments.

Regards,

Dave

I've just realised I've bitten! Well so be it. I've been doing this for over 35 years and I'm tired of being constantly told that "real DJs" play what the punter requests even if it's a bootleg. Close in, come closer......no, closer.......no, even closer.............NO THEY DON'T!! THEY FIND SOMETHING ELSE OF EQUAL QUALITY TO PLAY!! That loud enough for ya??   :lol:' />

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Not saying I would advocate not eating, but these are the lengths people go to to secure good records....I remember many years ago, if all the money had gone on records etc I would be on Faggots for the last week of the month :thumbsup: .....sometimes if you want something bad enough (not always records) you have to make sacrifices. Thats why its so wrong to play boots, people have in some cases sweated blood for these things........

Best Russ

Social source share

:lol:

OK Bri, let's assume that I have impeccable taste and great instincts and I win the Euromillions lottery tomorrow and decide to buy EVERY killer rare record because I can. Money no object. Y'know leave Honky in the dust with his chump change LOL.....

Surely the mere fact that I could acquire a £1,000,000 playbox very quickly would surely guarantee No.1 DJ status wouldn't it? The biggest dick on the block has always been an irresistible option to most people in my experience. :ohmy:

Boy. If I win that lottery and get unlimited funds I'll buy out Moerer, Manship, Brown, Brady and Jeffries in one fell swoop and scoop up the rest of 'em in the next couple of days. I'll corner the market in rare soul vinyl and.........................

Time for bed I think.

God bless.

Ian D biggrin.gif

BEEN DONE A FEW TIMES EH MATE, KNOW SEVERAL OF THE TOP JOCKS AT THE MO AND TEN YEARS AGO THEY WERE NOWHERE TO BE SEEN, IF YOU GOT THE CASH THEN RECORDS WILL COME TO YOU, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO SEARCHIN FOR EM' :thumbsup:

BRI PINCH (STRUGGLIN MID TABLE IN LEAGUE ONE) biggrin.gif

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

Guest soul over easy

i am aware there is an elitist click on the scene who must have high paid jobs to buy all this expensive vinyl? You obviously look down ur noses at the likes of me? and think i am below you lol... us poor low paid uneducated punters who turn out every week to hear the music we love meet friends from all over and have a good dance... i joined the scene mid 70,s for the love of the music and dancing,i couldnt give a donald duck about buying ultra rare expensive vinyl? in reality you aint above me even if you might think you are? am sure one or two of you are actualy decents folks... if you want the truth pal whilst you were out buying ur ultra rare records i was probably banged up in prison listening to me northern in me cell and still keping the faith...but heh ho thats life ...

Social source share

Not saying I would advocate not eating, but these are the lengths people go to to secure good records....I remember many years ago, if all the money had gone on records etc I would be on Faggots for the last week of the month :thumbsup: .....sometimes if you want something bad enough (not always records) you have to make sacrifices. Thats why its so wrong to play boots, people have in some cases sweated blood for these things........

Best Russ

You may wish to explain this term for our friends in the U.S of A. :ohmy:

T

Social source share

i am aware there is an elitist click on the scene who must have high paid jobs to buy all this expensive vinyl? You obviously look down ur noses at the likes of me? and think i am below you lol... us poor low paid uneducated punters who turn out every week to hear the music we love meet friends from all over and have a good dance... i joined the scene mid 70,s for the love of the music and dancing,i couldnt give a donald duck about buying ultra rare expensive vinyl? in reality you aint above me even if you might think you are? am sure one or two of you are actualy decents folks... if you want the truth pal whilst you were out buying ur ultra rare records i was probably banged up in prison listening to me northern in me cell and still keping the faith...but heh ho thats life ...

A bit harsh?

I am proud of the collection I'm building (again) and I'm in what's classed as a low paid job, like you I started on the scene in the mid 70s and have been through some dark periods in my life, but don't see that as a reason to think collectors with money look down on me, or as a reason to call those who do have highly paid jobs and can afford stuff I cant. I go and look bloody hard on the internet, and in every other available avenue to try and find bargains, it's more fun and better time spent doing that than moaning about people with money!

Social source share

A bit harsh?

I am proud of the collection I'm building (again) and I'm in what's classed as a low paid job, like you I started on the scene in the mid 70s and have been through some dark periods in my life, but don't see that as a reason to think collectors with money look down on me, or as a reason to call those who do have highly paid jobs and can afford stuff I cant. I go and look bloody hard on the internet, and in every other available avenue to try and find bargains, it's more fun and better time spent doing that than moaning about people with money!

i try to do the same :thumbsup: ..........its the hunting i enjoy,:ohmy: buy low sell high,................ doesnt always work but many friends of mine are expert in this regard and i have learnt from them.................. .......... people like me can get the occasional spot, mostly early on, and thats perfect cos we dont have the depth of collection or experience to dj regularly in a big room niter at 4am ...................but hopefully can add something differant to start a niter off in an interesting way...........cheers ez.........:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!