Reggae Got Soul?

I was rather suprised to hear, and see folk dance to an out and out Reggae record in the main room @ the kings hall sat, esp considering the uproar this apparantly caused at the Cassino when Mr Winstanly played Al Capone, as detailed in Dave Shaw's excellent Cassino. I just wondered if were all that much more tollerant towards other genres nowadays? Personally I'll stick me neck out and say although I'm fond of everthing from Bluebeat to Dub and lovers, I dont feel this kinda record has any place at a Northern soul alnighter, but found it strange, watching those left on the dancefloor trying to skank, rather than offensive.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there there's one or two reggae numbers being played at the moment the "Still waters " modern reggae number is massive in this area and is being played by Miss Sam Evans ,Bob Fletcher Soul Sam's defernatly played it as has Andy Riley and Sean Chapman also play's it.Sean of course alway's sneaks the odd thing in like Toots and the Maytals 54-46 was my number and i can tell you now that we sell loads of these to northern collectors , the next biggie that's just picking up attention is Jean Adebambo's "paradise" and the funk guy's are buying 10 inch d.j stamps of Lyn Tait's "stepping up " with Jablonski's version of Dibango's "Soul makossa" on the b side and 10 inch stamps of Skin , Flesh and bone's "we're having a party " also played by S.Sam.All the best Si

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Personally I would be quite happy if the scene completely ignored any pre- 1975 Jamaican music...

...it's expensive enough to buy good tunes where you only have fellow reggae collectors to compete with, never mind when you're up against some Northern hotboxer... :wicked::ohmy::lol:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi Tony with respect what about track's like Jackie Edwards "Feel so bad" and Byron Lee's "wide awake in a dream " or The Soul ettes track on studio one,not to mention records like Jackie Opels "eternal love" your absolutly correct to suggest Jamaican records after '75 are acceptable for instance Beres Hammond's "Don't turn around " and "Do this world a favour" and the ever popular In crowd number on Revue and Amberlique on Rag Town records .Have a good week end Si.

Social source share

Hi Tony with respect what about track's like Jackie Edwards "Feel so bad" and Byron Lee's "wide awake in a dream " or The Soul ettes track on studio one,not to mention records like Jackie Opels "eternal love" your absolutly correct to suggest Jamaican records after '75 are acceptable for instance Beres Hammond's "Don't turn around " and "Do this world a favour" and the ever popular In crowd number on Revue and Amberlique on Rag Town records .Have a good week end Si.

Si those 60's tracks are Jamaican soul records (Byron lee? Not blues busters?), we're talking about reggae tracks being played, not soul tracks by Jamaican artists.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi Pete point taken ,your right about the about the Blues busters or Phillip James as it say's on my Jamaican soul lable I get confused as the acetate I also have is credited as Byron Lee and the Dragonairs and I've also just smoked a spliff so I'm getting a bit confused , thank's for the reality check have a good weeken d Pete with respect Si.

Social source share

bloody ell Geese you come up with some corkers for discusison me 'owd. ...Quite pertinent though really considering stuff like Susan mackey is getting spins as well

Some of the choons that are supposedly reggae that would get played on the scene have got a 'soulful' voice with it. Susan Mackey has---Jackie Edwards--come on home is quite soulful also

...Remember some old wag from Whitworth st--calling Jackie Edwards--'Feel so Bad' as Jamaican Soul. Cant argue with that really

Social source share

ha ha..can see this thread getting interesting..i better word this carefully dont wanna get wrong with anyone!! .there are nights ,my own included which play certain kinds of reggae and ska alongside soul and rnb,it works very well,the crowd love it and its advertised in advance,note i said CERTAIN kinds of reggae,even at go go children you wont hear,roots ,dub, dancehall,twotone or in fact anything after about 73 (although thats doesn't mean the dj's dont like it!!)....seans been finishing with that steph mckay(i think) vocal to double barrell for a while now and everytime ive seen him do it 'most' people have stayed on the floor ...i cant see the problem with the odd reggae tune at a soul nite...(told him after he had big balls to play it at kings hall though!!)..

....after all,l cant stand modern but have to put up with it at times in one room venues...and musically as far as arrangement and recording techniques despite being called soul,modern has no resemblance to the black american music i love, reggae(65-73) and early ska has more in common with60s rnb and 60s and mid 70s soul than modern does IMHO!!...infact studio one was 'the young sound of jamaica' nicked from motown as were the designs for the lps and a lot of the tunes they recorded were covers of soul tunes both comercially big hits and not...the producer coxsonne dodd would travel to the states and bring back loads of sevens to 'addapt'...the 'vocal harmony groups' of reggae like the wailers were all influenced by the impressions etc...its true i think to say if the states wasnt a short hop from the caribean and JA being in listening distance to the florida radio stations reggae would probably have never happened and jamaica would have just played a tuffer version of soca ...

...saying all this thought i dont think whole reggae sets are right for 'soul' nights...but then i also dont get annoyed when modern tunes are played...just have a well needed breather normally!

ofcouse im biased despite buying soul records before reggae i was a reggae dj with a sound system for years before i started playing soul out...although even at go go i dont play any reggae,leaving it upto john s. but yes...as toots said...reggae got soul!

keep on skanking oops i mean keep the faith!!

dean

ps the record sean played was out and out reggae...there are loads of jamaican soul/rnb tunes ofcourse plenty good enuff to play at soul nights...patsys version of blues in the night being one

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Pete point taken ,your right about the about the Blues busters or Phillip James as it say's on my Jamaican soul lable I get confused as the acetate I also have is credited as Byron Lee and the Dragonairs and I've also just smoked a spliff so I'm getting a bit confused , thank's for the reality check have a good weeken d Pete with respect Si.

I think Soul may have been a Byron Lee label (Tony will know) you're right, UK and JA both credited to Phillip James for some reason.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tony with respect what about track's like Jackie Edwards "Feel so bad" and Byron Lee's "wide awake in a dream " or The Soul ettes track on studio one.

I was actually trying to be funny, Si, although you have sort of proven my point for me in that I collect the Soulettes and I still need 3-4 of their Studio 1 45s - which are expensive enough in their indigenous market without the burden of having to compete with a whole extra raft of potential purchasers from another scene... ranting_1.gif

I've been playing reggae on the soul scene for decades, anyway. Even as recently as a couple of weeks ago I played LLoyd Charmers' fantastic version of 'Going In Circles' at Majestic Soul. I can still remember playing Derrick Harriott's 'The Loser' at 6Ts in the pre all-nighter days c. 1980 and being roundly condemned for it....

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I think Soul may have been a Byron Lee label (Tony will know) .

...I do know, yes.

Byron Lee did co-own that particular Soul label with his business associate, Ronnie Nasralla.

Social source share

I was actually trying to be funny, Si, although you have sort of proven my point for me in that I collect the Soulettes and I still need 3-4 of their Studio 1 45s - which are expensive enough in their indigenous market without the burden of having to compete with a whole extra raft of potential purchasers from another scene... ranting_1.gif

I've been playing reggae on the soul scene for decades, anyway. Even as recently as a couple of weeks ago I played LLoyd Charmers' fantastic version of 'Going In Circles' at Majestic Soul. I can still remember playing Derrick Harriott's 'The Loser' at 6Ts in the pre all-nighter days c. 1980 and being roundly condemned for it....

That's different, it's practically a soul record anyway, but rubbish like that thing on Bread sorry I forgot who it is, which actually IS reggae - how can that be played at a Northern do?

Social source share

Good call r/e Derrick Harriott Tony. Must admit to playing that at a Modern event & it went down very well too.

Also did a Soul of Jamaica spot in the small room at the last Morecambe weekender & loved every minute of it.

Social source share

A few more off the top of my head that I have heard played & have played out myself.

Maybe The Next Time - Pat Rhoden

I Am Satisfied - Owen Grey

I'm In Love With You - Lloyd Williams

How Long Will It Take - Pat Kelley

I've Got Your Number - Dermott Lynch

Baby I Need Your Loving - Delroy Wilson

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

And you lot all called me a w*nker for advocating this 5 years ago :lol:

...I certainly didn't.

Is it too late to call you one now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Well ...i have always been under the impression that ...most soulies...came from the ska/ mod/skin/suede side...back in the day....why are folk so shocked that a ska influenced record was played at a niter?...must admit...when it was dropped at Stoke..wondered how long it would be ...before someone brought it up on here...will be a very interesting thread.....Del...xxxx

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Absolute dregs of UK produced pop reggae*

* back me up Tone :lol:

Consider yourself well and truly backed.

It's a piece of crap.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Well ...i have always been under the impression that ...most soulies...came from the ska/ mod/skin/suede side...back in the day....why are folk so shocked that a ska influenced record was played at a niter?...must admit...when it was dropped at Stoke..wondered how long it would be ...before someone brought it up on here...will be a very interesting thread.....Del...xxxx

Hi Del :hatsoff2: i am one of those that love me reggae ska blue beat etc etc and was into all that before soul, funniest thing for is is not the fact the Stoke crowd stayed dancing to the tune and its becoming accepted it just makes me laugh that they wont accept lots of northern soul cos its not known :huh: funny old world aint it :lol:

Social source share

Just to backtrack a little - a few years ago I was advocating a little bit of soulful reggae well actually rocksteady being played at NS do's, Tony mentioned he'd tried The Loser and Cunnie said he was using My Conversation as an ender already. But now I think I was wrong, it's bad enough with these funk records being played let alone throwing reggae into the mix. Jamaican soul, yes by all means, but straight out and out reggae, can't see it myself.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just to backtrack a little - a few years ago I was advocating a little bit of soulful reggae well actually rocksteady being played at NS do's, Tony mentioned he'd tried The Loser and Cunnie said he was using My Conversation as an ender already. But now I think I was wrong, it's bad enough with these funk records being played let alone throwing reggae into the mix. Jamaican soul, yes by all means, but straight out and out reggae, can't see it myself.

Crikey,i'm printing this post off.Pete was wrong!!!... :lol:

Social source share

reggae can be soulful as can Janis Joplin, Joe Cocker and countless others, but they're not northern and that's what I would want to hear at an northern nighter.

Winnie ;)

Social source share

I can see nothing wrong with the odd piece of classic rocksteady sympathetically dropped in amongst records of a similar vintage or feel at a soul night, particularly if played by someone with a long-standing affinity with the music.

But not at an allnighter and not by somebody who couldn't tell a Del Davis from a Derrick Harriott. If this becomes the flavour of the month we'll have hit rock bottom.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

reggae can be soulful as can Janis Joplin, Joe Cocker and countless others, but they're not northern .

Winnie ;)

Joe Cocker's northern, Win. He's from Sheffield...

...and Janis Joplin can't be soulful, either.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Hi Del :hatsoff2: i am one of those that love me reggae ska blue beat etc etc and was into all that before soul, funniest thing for is is not the fact the Stoke crowd stayed dancing to the tune and its becoming accepted it just makes me laugh that they wont accept lots of northern soul cos its not known :huh: funny old world aint it :lol:

Bearsy...i wouldnt be soo dismissive of accepting.new tunes....after all...Stoke...at one time..was a very upfront niter...anyway......depends on the way it is done.......some of the classics that eventually broke...when i was young and innocent...(Yes Jesus was just an embryo)...was played in between....more established sounds...till it got broke..naa ..i am observing for more far reaching purposes darling..... :shhh: ....Del....xxxxxx

Social source share

Have a listen to the enclosed track, it's the most beautiful, soulful rocksteady track that you could ever imagine -a wonderful lead vocal, stunning harmonies, you could almost float away while listening to this record - I personally rate this as one of the finest Jamaican records ever made - but would you want to hear it at a Northern night? How would you dance to it for a start!

Edited by 45cellar
mp3 Removed - Site Rules
Social source share

Absolute dregs of UK produced pop reggae*

* back me up Tone :lol:

I'll back you up too Pete :thumbsup:

just to confirm, were talking ska and reggae records here not soul tunes by Jamacian artists.

Yes but is there not a line where Soul & Reggae meet?

LOL. I played My Conversation at the end of one of our Modernism nights to send people home & they all bloody came back & started dancing so it kinda stuck after that.

I can see nothing wrong with the odd piece of classic rocksteady sympathetically dropped in amongst records of a similar vintage or feel at a soul night, particularly if played by someone with a long-standing affinity with the music.

But not at an allnighter and not by somebody who couldn't tell a Del Davis from a Derrick Harriott. If this becomes the flavour of the month we'll have hit rock bottom.

Good post Gareth.

Think Rocksteady as a genre comes as close to Soul & Reggae meeting as I mentioned above.

Big difference between the odd Rocksteady track like you mentioned above & something like Double Barrell being played to a floor full of folks in silly clothes (joke of course).

Social source share

Good post Gareth.

Think Rocksteady as a genre comes as close to Soul & Reggae meeting as I mentioned above.

Big difference between the odd Rocksteady track like you mentioned above & something like Double Barrell being played to a floor full of folks in silly clothes (joke of course).

Tried to purvey that with the mp3 above.

is that a word, purvey?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy...i wouldnt be soo dismissive of accepting.new tunes....after all...Stoke...at one time..was a very upfront niter...anyway......depends on the way it is done.......some of the classics that eventually broke...when i was young and innocent...(Yes Jesus was just an embryo)...was played in between....more established sounds...till it got broke..naa ..i am observing for more far reaching purposes darling..... :shhh: ....Del....xxxxxx

:shades:

Social source share

Personally I would be quite happy if the scene completely ignored any pre- 1975 Jamaican music...

...it's expensive enough to buy good tunes where you only have fellow reggae collectors to compete with, never mind when you're up against some Northern hotboxer... :wicked::ohmy::lol:

Absolutely ! :D

Social source share

a couple of my more mature friends have taken to spinning a few reggae/rocksteady versions of northern soul tunes, at their niters of late, again...don't find em particularly offensive, but i can't make the connection with it either. they say you had to be there back in the day :yes: on the other foot during a rare and underplayed spot i did, just last weekend, i dug out gnarls barkley, crazy (yes i am) and played it, and that could be a different debate altogether. :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

i absouletly luv me northern and came through the route of a young skin head then suede head to a soul boy llike nubes mentioned most of us have came this way to the scene,at prestatyn ive heard toots and the maytals 54 -46 was my number played and the floor was bouncing .I enjoyed sean playing the record at alfreton and stoke ...nice to get back to youre roots... dont it make ya feel like we wanna go bash a few smelly hells angels in for old time sake again?

Social source share

Interesting to see Jean Adebambo's Paradise being stated above as a potential spin. Interesting in that its actually a UK Lovers Rock production from the early 80s and probably a bit too slow for a northern dancefoor - an excellent record though.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Yes She had a fantasic voice and for whatever reason took her life so soon after her come back ,She was the queen of lovers and one of our great home produced artists it's starting to get the odd spin as an ender and I'm selling around 5 a week to the northern collectors .Regards Si.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!