mike

Your Current Must Watch Tv ?

1,690 posts in this topic

I see that Silent Witness is back on the BBC next week, its 20th season, one of the few long running programs that doesn't suffer from story fatigue. Besides always fancied that Emilia Fox, she's a real fox..............:D

Caught Ethel & Ernest the other night. Animated story of Raymond Briggs (The Snowman) parents. Absolutely brilliant.

Highly recommended - catch it on iplayer if you have 90 minutes free.

My current tv, well now past, was watching Ben-Hur today. All four hours of it !!! 

Cried buckets, not just because of the film, but because my late Mum, used to watch, as my Dad calls them, all them crap films!

Oh I loved it, took me right back & it's still one of my favourite films.

Edited by Alison H

Watched 3 John Wayne movies over Xmas would like A rebate over my license fee as feck all on !

21 minutes ago, hornet said:

Watched 3 John Wayne movies over Xmas would like A rebate over my license fee as feck all on !

A man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Richard Searling recommended Quarry on Sky Universal during his show on Solar Radio today.  I downloaded and viewed - it is excellent with much of our music interwoven into the setting.

17 minutes ago, ThinkSmart said:

Richard Searling recommended Quarry on Sky Universal during his show on Solar Radio today.  I downloaded and viewed - it is excellent with much of our music interwoven into the setting.

Here for the soundtrack in each episode ... :thumbsup: ... http://www.tunefind.com/show/quarry/season-1

Thanks Woodbutcher - I'll give that a look too.

For anyone into the roots of the soul scene in the early '60s original Mod scene, I watched the film 'Small World of Sammy Lee' over Christmas on DVD which is about as close as it is possible to get to the era and Soho locations.  A great film too.

The new BBC drama "Taboo" with Tom Hardy at his most menacing got off to a great start tonight , nice to have a decent watch on a Saturday night again ... :)

10 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

The new BBC drama "Taboo" with Tom Hardy at his most menacing got off to a great start tonight , nice to have a decent watch on a Saturday night again ... :)

The violence is just bubbling under the surface at the moment.  It's going to get bloody.

Tends to when Mr Hardy's involved , he's on the production team on this one so I'm sure the gloves will be off ... :ohmy:

4 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Tends to when Mr Hardy's involved , he's on the production team on this one so I'm sure the gloves will be off ... :ohmy:

...along with Steven Knight of Peaky Blinders' fame.

TABOO  -  BBC1 series starring the great TOM HARDY on Saturday, dark, moody, mysterious, stylish, and engrossing, best thing since Peaky blinders (both written by Steven Knight, also with Tom featuring). fantastic TV !!

Ahoy Mateys!  Final season of Black Sails starts Monday on Amazon Prime.

On 19/01/2017 at 20:34, WoodButcher said:

Just started on another Scandinavian thriller series , "Nobel" , great opening episode , off to watch the next one now ... :thumbsup:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4591834/

Yep finished watching this last night. It's s cracking series. The scene where the special forces are being tracked by the taliban is edge of chair stuff.

Great acting, characters and storyline. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Pete

Yet another Swedish drama that's well worth a look .... "Gasmamman" ... :thumbsup:

just me or anyone else enjoyed BBC current/recent drama offerings

Apple tree lane and Moorside

2 hours ago, mike said:

Apple Tree Yard was brilliant. The best series I've seen for a long time and will probably win awards at the end of the year. Very well acted by all the cast too.

I also enjoyed Moorside. the resemblance of some of those characters is uncanny.

2 hours ago, mike said:

I didn't see Moorside but thought Apple Tree Yard was really good although the ending left at least one question unanswered. I won't say anything else in case others haven't seen it.

For a change I'm finding some decent programmes on terrestrial TV: Taboo, No Offence, Unforgotten, even must admit to liking The Halcyon and Death In Paradise, the latter two are ideal for watching while ironing your shirts, etc. And not forgetting the return of Homeland.

Some posters have mentioned various Scandinavian series, what channels are they on and can you get them free, lol?

34 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I didn't see Moorside but thought Apple Tree Yard was really good although the ending left at least one question unanswered. I won't say anything else in case others haven't seen it.

For a change I'm finding some decent programmes on terrestrial TV: Taboo, No Offence, Unforgotten, even must admit to liking The Halcyon and Death In Paradise, the latter two are ideal for watching while ironing your shirts, etc. And not forgetting the return of Homeland.

Some posters have mentioned various Scandinavian series, what channels are they on and can you get them free, lol?

yep same geoff, does seem that I am watching a lot more terrestrial nowadays compared to past

on scandinavian series recently I  have been watching the killing series - missed it first time around - which is on netflix
netflix is not free, but you can get a free months trial, plus my feed for the last few years comes from one of my sons account (who lives away so guess chance that may be able to do similar with friends/family) so sort of free

2 minutes ago, Tony Smith said:

Sneaky Pete!

Any good?  Seen it advertised on Amazon Prime, and now I've watched "Goliath" and "The Man In The High Castle" all the way through, I'm looking for something else to watch.

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

Terrestrial!! That's what it's called!! I  refer to it as "normal" telly & tend to watch the 5 channels on "normal" telly the most .... I'm an old fashioned kind of gal.

Hope all is well Geoff 

2 hours ago, Alison H said:

Terrestrial!! That's what it's called!! I  refer to it as "normal" telly & tend to watch the 5 channels on "normal" telly the most .... I'm an old fashioned kind of gal.

Hope all is well Geoff 

Terrestrial shows how up to date I am Alison, lol. I'm okay, hope you are too.

4 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Any good?  Seen it advertised on Amazon Prime, and now I've watched "Goliath" and "The Man In The High Castle" all the way through, I'm looking for something else to watch.

Sneaky Pete = very good. Only 10 eps but a series 2 on the way.

16 minutes ago, Steve G said:

I actually watched the pilot earlier tonight and enjoyed it.

25 minutes ago, Steve G said:

How very dare you Sir!

:ohmy:

Pete

:D

Last night's episode of Black Sails made for disturbing viewing.  The graphic depiction of a keel hauling was pretty horrific.  Into the final season now, and it's been thoroughly entertaining from the start.

Enjoyed Cruising with Jane McDonald! , 

Just now, hornet said:

Enjoyed Cruising with Jane McDonald! , 

Was she keel hauled?

On 2/9/2017 at 12:51, daved said:

Apple Tree Yard was brilliant. The best series I've seen for a long time and will probably win awards at the end of the year. Very well acted by all the cast too.

I also enjoyed Moorside. the resemblance of some of those characters is uncanny.

moorside finished, enjoyed it

game of thrones spot anyone?

whats his name sister was the got spot above

Sunday on BBC see's this

looking forward to this, as I am a sucker for 'what if' type history tv programmes and fairly sure read the book years ago 

anything else upcoming  worth a 'reminder' ?

Like the look of "The Team" from the trailer.  Believe it starts tonight at 9pm on More4.

Inside No 9 on BBC2 on Tuesday night was excellent. Must see TV! Hilarious about 4 blokes arguing about who'll pay their restaurant bill

Caught up with The Drug Trial: Emergency at the Hospital last night. terrifyingly brilliant!

Been waiting for Inside No 9 and it was excellent as usual.

Edited by Steve Lane

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Related Soul Music Links