Lucifer On Invictus - Info Wanted

George G

Back in 1971 or so I heard the song "Dont You Think The Times A Comin" by Lucifer on the radio for a while. I don't think it was really a hit, just something that got play on local radio. I always liked it.

So...who was he? It doesn't really sound like the typical Invictus / H-D-H sound - more jazzy and light.

I know this is not really a 'Northern Soul' artist/record but I woke up this morning thinking about this song and this is the best source I know of for soul artist info, so...

TIA

George

Social source share

Played this out three times this year - and every time a minimum of 5 punters ask who it is - startling record.

Lucifer was a combo rock group who cut one album for Invictus - also released on a 45 ' Don' t You ' - I have three customers queuing up for one , not easily located although still relatively cheap.

Edited by glynthornhill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember when I collected soul LPs finding this more than once, forgetting what it sounded like but noticing the invictus, playing the LP and being like "what is this rock garbage!" and putting it back. Now I may or may not have a different opinion.

Social source share

Thanks for the response. I have the 45 and LP, but I don't know where the LP is, I haven't had it in hand for years and several moves/collection sort outs. I don't remember it being really solidly rock or soul, more like a group along the lines of poppier Blood Sweat and Tears. I suppose they were a Detroit area act. The singer's inflection is a bit odd. I would never had thought about this as a record to play at a dance night...at least the US dance nights I know, so that was interesting.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I haven't had it in hand for years .

...10 minues in the bathroom with a Freda Payne or Vanessa Willams LP cover should cure your problem... :wicked::D:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Here's another.

gary

i got one of these off pat brady about 6 or years ago

and probably not listened to it since then, will have to dig it out tonight for a listen

Social source share

Thanks again for the replies. I suspect I heard the record on CKLW from Windsor, Ontario just across the river from Detroit. It's likely they played it to satisfy Canadian Content (CanCon) requirements that were put in place around the time that required Canadian radio to play a certain amount of Canadian recordings.

I don't know anything about the other Lucifer record, it's probablt something I heard during the past 30 or so years but I long forgot.

Social source share

Thanks again for the replies. I suspect I heard the record on CKLW from Windsor, Ontario just across the river from Detroit. It's likely they played it to satisfy Canadian Content (CanCon) requirements that were put in place around the time that required Canadian radio to play a certain amount of Canadian recordings.

I don't know anything about the other Lucifer record, it's probablt something I heard during the past 30 or so years but I long forgot.

don't they still have the canadian content requirements? I think they did in the 80s, I would visit relatives there and the "muchmusic" channel (their equivalent of MTV) had to play some percentage of canadian music.

Edited by boba
Social source share

• 5 years later...
Guest Abraxas

I sent the lead singer/writer a text. He's not online. I can call him, if you want. Can you tell me what it is you are looking for ? He lives on Vancouver Island now. He had some other great successes. Here's a sample of a personal favourite. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Abraxas

I might add that Eugene is very entwined musically, historically and socially with The Band (Robbie Robertson...Levon Helm et al) and Janis Joplin's Cosmic Blues Band and Full Tilt Boogie Band in that he was a member of Ronnie Hawkins' Hawks at the same time as these bands were also members of the Hawks before they hooked up with Dylan and Joplin. He still plays with John Till (Joplin) and has had quite a following. I think he did some work with Natalie Cole too or maybe they were just pals...I don't know.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!