Info On Willie West's Fairchild?

Guest Ti Mamze

Guest Ti Mamze

Not a record I would imagine is popular on this board, but since many of you are very knowledgeable....I thought I would ask anyway.

Fairchild [Josie 1019] is an odd one. Not a whole lot of copies around, most of which are white label promos. However, there are a few copies with full color labels. They look exactly like stock Josie issues of the day, except that they too are marked as promos.

As far as I can tell, no standard stock issues of the record have been confirmed.

This suggests several possibilities, but since they're nothing more than speculation, I'll skip that part.

So, has anyone ever seen a true stock copy of the 45? If so, have you listened to it?

Also, does anyone know of a bootleg/reissue of Fairchild which might look like a bone stock copy? [That's besides the Rhino look-a-like reissue of several years ago which actually has the wrong 'oval' label on it.....and possibly the wrong mix]

And one more.....have you ever seen any other Josie promo with a full color, stock issue-like, label? So far, I haven't found one.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully someone knows something.

I would attach scans, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just a cursory look at the web reveals both stock and dj copies on a styrene pressing (buff labels) and a white label vinyl promo.

I have other Josie singles where the dj copy is not a white demo. Jay Dee Bryant "You Don't Know" on a styrene pressing springs to mind.

Social source share

Guest Ti Mamze

vinyl promo

120517117286.jpg

styrene promo

200721285863.jpg

styrene stock

7398045.jpg

Thank you for that......and you hit right at the heart of the post. The bottom scan is the one which prompted my post.

Is that a scan of a real copy? The person I found using it online admits it's not a record he owns, nor does the mp3 he posted with the scan come from that 45.

If it is real, it's the only copy I and a number of other people, including several dealers, have ever seen.

Edited by Ti Mamze
Social source share

Guest Ti Mamze

i would say it's real, why would anyone photoshop the promo markings off??

Thank for your help and your opinion. And I think you may be correct, however I probably won't be satisfied until someone pops up who owns a copy and can prove it.

I actually hadn't considered that the label might be photoshopped, thinking more that it might be a bootleg.

Social source share

Guest Ti Mamze

The styrene copy is a Bestway pressing. The vinyl copy looks like it was pressed at one of the RCA plants. I also think the styrene issue is real.

Thank you for your opinion. Thanks also, for the info on Josie promos, I knew my research was incomplete.

As I said above, I'm really looking for more proof than just the scan.....since the scan itself is what prompted my query.

Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 7/20/2012 at 15:37, Ti Mamze said:

Thank you for your opinion. Thanks also, for the info on Josie promos, I knew my research was incomplete.

As I said above, I'm really looking for more proof than just the scan.....since the scan itself is what prompted my query.

I know this thread is a few years old. The answer to your question is yes an issue does exist and it's the original version with horns and extra guitar. Not the same mix as any on Youtube.

This is my copy

WP_001322.jpg

Social source share

All copies, stock and promo, as far as I know, are the recording you describe. The one on Youtube you refer to is from a compilation LP that used an unfinished version and tricked a lot of people into thinking promos and stock copies were different recordings. That's my understanding, at any rate.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert