Tropical Records, Miami (Frank Seay, Etc)

Roburt

Has a full discography listing & label ownership / management / studio info / producer details been compiled for Miami based Tropical Records.

Just about all the releases (that I know of) on the label are sought after ..............

3 x Frank Seay & the Soul Riders, (Little) Eddie Taylor, Rufus Beacham, Treetop & the Soul Branches, the Charles Vickers LP, etc.

The company also had a subsibuary label; Soul Time. But I only know the Alberta Walker 45 on that inking.

The company was owned by a Willard M. Bailey and the likes of Swamp Dogg (Jerry Willliams) & Clarence Reid worked with the artists involved. The label operated out of three addresses that I know of; 4900 & 4950 NW 7th Avenue plus 1099 NW 3rd Avenue.

I believe they operated from the mid 60's through to 1985 (at least a record store using the name was still going strong) though the owner met an early death at the hands of local Miami gangsters (drugs & money being the cause of the dispute that resulted in him being mudered I believe).

post-22122-0-63138500-1354014411_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Though Frank Seay was active on the Miami club / recording scene for around 20 years, I know little about him.

He did achieve a UK release in the mid 80's, when Move Records (Edinburgh) picked up a track he put out on his own Sawax label.

But it's his late 60's funky soul tracks that are the most collectable .......

post-22122-0-42306700-1354014621_thumb.j

post-22122-0-21648800-1354014672_thumb.j

Social source share

Tampa born Rufus Beacham was nearing the end of his recording career when he cut a 45 for Tropical.

Rufus was born in December 1930 and had been around (on the recording scene) since the beginning of the 1950's, initially leading his Tampa Toppers band. Ray Charles cut some tracks fronting Rufus's band (orchestra) and Rufus himself had releases on Chart, Sittin' In With, King (mid 50's) & Scepter (early 60's).

post-22122-0-14798700-1354015108_thumb.j

Social source share

4' 2" tall Eddie Taylor had one of the early 45's to be released on Tropical.

He played loads of club gigs around Miami throughout the 60's. After his Tropical 45, he signed with Peacock & had good releases with them as well.

Swamp Dogg last ran in to him in East Elmhurst New York around 68/69. He was appearing at Arthur's club there as the vocalist for the Red Prysock Band (the club being owned by Arthur Prysock, Red's brother).

Swamp recalls that Eddie could sing his ass off and the women were crazy about him (seems that despite his size, he was a true ladies man).

post-22122-0-29202800-1354015444_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Though Frank Seay was active on the Miami club / recording scene for around 20 years, I know little about him.

He did achieve a UK release in the mid 80's, when Move Records (Edinburgh) picked up a track he put out on his own Sawax label.

But it's his late 60's funky soul tracks that are the most collectable .......

Flip this over, "Hold On" knocks this into insignificance IMHO, bought it a couple of months ago for this side only, fantastic record

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Flip this over, "Hold On" knocks this into insignificance IMHO, bought it a couple of months ago for this side only, fantastic record

Kev

Agreed Kev , a wonderful record

Social source share

Gem Records was also a Tropical subsiduary label .............

Eddie Holloway had a good 45 out on the label in August 1970 .....

The 45 must have been 'flipped' as the B side was being promoted by local radio jocks that month.

post-22122-0-37894300-1354027267_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

There's more info on Frankie Seay with this youtube video ..........
In 1975/ 76 Frankie was playing regular gigs at the Wreck Bar in Castaways Hotel (Nth Miami Beach). His group was called Frankie Seay and the Contact High at that time.
Unfortunately Frankie passed away late last month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ico0mgNEiC4

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

4' 2" tall Eddie Taylor had one of the early 45's to be released on Tropical.

He played loads of club gigs around Miami throughout the 60's. After his Tropical 45, he signed with Peacock & had good releases with them as well.

Swamp Dogg last ran in to him in East Elmhurst New York around 68/69. He was appearing at Arthur's club there as the vocalist for the Red Prysock Band (the club being owned by Arthur Prysock, Red's brother).

Swamp recalls that Eddie could sing his ass off and the women were crazy about him (seems that despite his size, he was a true ladies man).

Little Eddie Taylor was apparently 34 inches tall and reputedly the brother of Johnnie Taylor.

Social source share

I have a 45 by Little Eddie Taylor on Tropical 101 The State Song (oddball dance craze) / Just the way you are (ballad)

Yep, there's a label scan of that 45 (JTWYA) included in post #5 of this thread (though he's credited just as Eddie Taylor on the label).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Frankie Seay was in trouble in the 80's when he undertook some live gigs ..........

... this was because he was accepting live bookings under the name of one of the many versions of the Ink Spots that were performing across the States back then ...........

The original Ink Spots rhythm-and-blues quartet has not been together since the 1930s, and all four of those musicians were dead by the 70's. But the many versions of the old group refused to fade away. The original breakup of the Ink Spots in the 40's had led to more, not fewer, neo-Ink Spo groups.

``In the last year, we have sent letters to 10 other groups in Florida asking them to stop using the name,`` said Mili Della Lilley in 1985. As president of the Hanover Group entertainment agency in Fort Lauderdale and personal agent for Jim Nabbie`s Ink Spots Inc. she insisted that she managed the single honest-to-goodness, one-and-only, real-McCoy Ink Spots. Or at least the closest thing available at that time.

Jim Nabbie`s Ink Spots filed a lawsuit against some other Ink Spots who have been performing around FLORIDA.

Named as defendant in a Broward Circuit Court civil suit was Frank Seay, leader of a group that at various times has called itself Ink Spots `82, the Fabulous Ink Spots, the Great Frank Seay and His Ink Spots, Ink Spots `81, The Ink Spots, and the Great Frank Seay and the Super Spots.

The situation was very confusing. Even Frankie's attorney, Jerome L. Tepps, has had to take a crash course in music history to play this particular game of To Tell The Truth. ``I think Jim Nabbie is one of the original Ink Spots,`` Tepps said.

``My understanding is that he`s as close as anybody can be to being the real thing while being alive.`` ``He`s not one of the original four,`` Lilley agreed. ``They`re all dead. They would be in their 80s if they were alive.``

According to Lilley, Deek Watson, who was one of the originals, brought Jim Nabbie into the group to replace Bill Kenny, whose mezzo soprano voice was considered the distinctive signature of the group. Kenny made the group famous for such big hits as If I Didn`t Care, We Three, and I Don`t Want to Set the World on Fire. But even Kenny was not an original Ink Spot.

The first four members, who began singing in the late 1930s, were Watson, Jerry Daniels, Hoppy Jones and Charlie Fuqua.

The Ink Spots have always been abundant in splinter groups and imitations. According to a United Press International news story in 1966, at least 10 groups by that name were performing at that time in North America.

The group Lilley represents is composed of Nabbie, 65, who lives in Atlanta; King Drake, 64, Palm Beach; and Harold Winley, 52, and Sonny Hatchet, 53, both of whom live in New York.

According to Tepps, Frank Seay`s Ink Spots have agreed to drop their name, meaning Tepps probably will not have to pursue his lawsuit.

In addition to taking bookings under the name of Frank Seay & Contact High, it seems that around the mid 1970's, his group also started going out as the Ink Spots. Whilst they got good reviews under that name & attracted an 'older audience', they would perform more contemporary songs if faced with a younger audience. Francie & the group sought to legitimise themselves (as the Ink Spots) by stating that Frankie (& his brother Eddie) were the nephews of 1960's Ink Spot Joe Boatner and that they had earlier performed with Joe. They also had Billy Mack as a group member at times and he had also been in a few 'incarnations' of the Ink Spots at times.

The line up of Frankie's Ink Spots in 1975 was Frank & Eddie Seay, Billy Mack and Joseph Palmer but members came & went right through to the mid 80's.

In 1975, the group were being booked right across Florida with one big gig being a week long engagement at the Sheraton Cyprus Gardens in Winter Haven (between Tampa & Orlando). Frank only sang lead on a few of the group's songs, Billy Mack & Joseph Palmer having voices more suited to the old Ink Spots favorite tracks. Frank sang lead on more of the contempoaray songs the group performed. Eddie Seay mainly played guitar for the group (though he did contribute some backing vocals). Other musicians that they toured with (as their backing band) included Oscar Williams & Leon Butler. I believe that some of this whole ensemble had been performing with Frankie for some years by 1975.

It seems unlikely that Joe Boatner approved of Frankie's version of the group. However as Joe had been performing (with his own incarnation of the Ink Spots) up in Maine & Canada since at least the late 40's and was still securing regular bookings for the group through the mid 70's and into the early 80's.

Here's a photo of Frankie's group in 1975 (Joseph Palmer being the guy at the back, with the other three as named underneath) ....

Anyone know if THIS Eddie Seay is the guy who had 45's out on Imperial, PPI ("Look My Way") & Cyclone ??

post-22122-0-09329200-1354182724_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...

FROM JOHN ANDERSON———I DID A LOT OF BUSINESS IN MIAMI AS WE SHIPPED OUR AIRFREIGHT AND SEAFREIGHT SHIPMENTS OUT OF THERE FOR MANY YEARS.I USED TO PASS THE TROPICAL RECORD SHOP BUT WAS ALWAYS TOLD DON'T STOP AS THE AREA WAS DANGEROUS———EVENTUALLY I STOPPED AND WENT IN—THE MAIN SHOP HAD VERY LITTLE PRODUCT BUT THE BACK ROOM WAS LOADED—WE BOUGHT ALLL THE TROPICAL/GEM SOUL TITLES BUT LEFT THE GOSPEL AND WE SOLD A LOT OF THEM ON OUR FUNK LISTS AND ALSO TO JAPAN—THERE WAS ALSO QUANTITY ON THE DUA LABEL——BARBARA ACKLIN/JOHNNIE TAYLOR—THIS SEEMED TO BE SOME KIND OF RE-ISSUE LABEL——THERE WERE ALSO SOME OTHER GOOD NORTHERN/FUNK ETC RECORDS BUT I CAN'T REMBER WHAT THEY WERE.IT WAS RUN BY AN OLD LADY AND THE STORE HAD SEEN BETTER DAYS.

Social source share

I'd need to double check but I am pretty certain he was on Tropical before he was on Scepter Roburt. Tropical I believe started in the 50s.

Having checked my notes I don't know when the Tropical record was released so it could have been 62 but I do know Beacham's career was over by 1963.

Social source share

Here is the old record store today. Building on the left.

That record store was next to the corner of 50th Street just by the I-95 expressway.

It's just north of where the I-95 connects to the Airport Expressway (the airport being just South West of the location).

I wasn't too far away from it last Thursday as I drove into the rental car park at the airport to return our steed before flying home to the UK. I also used the I-95 road a lot during our stay but not that bit of it (which as already stated is a bit of a dodgy area).

Social source share

And the fantastic Jerry Green track which never had a US release.

Yep, that was also on 'Move Into Soul 6' along with the Frank Seay cuts (& others) ...... 

......  But Jerry Green wasn't from Florida & his track  wasn't licensed from the same source (AND so has no real connection to this thread). Frank Seay was still Miami based & he had enjoyed earlier releases on Tropical.

Incidentely, I used to assist Move Records with their stuff so have every release from the label. But as the mid 80's was a long time ago, I can no longer recall the full info on these tracks.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The St. James Club, where Little Eddie Taylor used to perform back in the day (see post #5 above) was also in the same area as the old record store (post #34) ........... the club being on the corner of 36th St & 2nd Ave (which is just east of I-95 and just south of the Airport Expressway).

No idea if any of the buildings on that corner today housed the club or if the club building has been demolished.  

For most of it's life, the Tropical Record Co. offices / base was out of the same building (as the record shop -- which was located on 7th Ave. adjacent to 50th St) .

Wonder which studio they used to record their tracks ?

Their building -- 4950 7th St -- looks quite deep but if they kept their old record stock at the back of it,  then it doesn't seem likely that they had their own  studio located there.

The company address on the ad I used to open this thread appears to be 4900 7th Ave .... so either that was a mistake or they moved a few yards up the road quite quickly. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Yep, that was also on 'Move Into Soul 6' along with the Frank Seay cuts (& others) ......

...... But Jerry Green wasn't from Florida & his track wasn't licensed from the same source (AND so has no real connection to this thread). Frank Seay was still Miami based & he had enjoyed earlier releases on Tropical.

Incidentely, I used to assist Move Records with their stuff so have every release from the label. But as the mid 80's was a long time ago, I can no longer recall the full info on these tracks.

OK i will read threads and learn to be quiet.

Social source share

OK i will read threads and learn to be quiet.

Don't get me wrong, your statement was 100% correct, just that the Frank Seay link to this thread stands up (IMHO) but  Jerry Green had no actual connection to Tropical Records or their record store. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't get me wrong, your statement was 100% correct, just that the Frank Seay link to this thread stands up (IMHO) but  Jerry Green had no actual connection to Tropical Records or their record store. 

Just as an aside Jerry Green was from Louisville and a one time member of The Heartbreakers. The LP track was licensed from Mr Wonderful records or directly from Jerry. He has a night club in the city to this day and sings there himself weekly.

Social source share

Gem Records was also a Tropical subsiduary label .............

Eddie Holloway had a good 45 out on the label in August 1970 .....

The 45 must have been 'flipped' as the B side was being promoted by local radio jocks that month.

Eddie Holloway was a member of the Soul Pleasers, and he later remade a tremendous version of their song "Baby Don't Cry" with Third Guitar (Rojac).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There's a reference to his death here: https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/S/frankie_seay/index.php

Maybe he (John Ridley) knows a reliable source.

Yes, that's the extra info I provided John Ridley with a while back. I reported on Frankie's passing in post # 17 above.

As that was over 2 years back now I don't fully recall where the info came from but it may have been reported in a local (Miami) newspaper at the time.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Found this post on youtube which dates back to October 2012 ........

My name is Wyzard Seay (jerry seay) I am Frankie's brother, I played bass on most of his recordings, along with my other brothers we were always there to support him,he was a trail blazer, lit me up and sent me on my way,... I am the bassist for the band Mother;s Finest,wrote a lot of the signature music for the band, played with Stevie Nicks and tons of other great artist, I will always remember the entertainment value he brought, he passed away this morning, I'm proud to be his brother-RIP, Wyz

............ this one as well (from the same time period) ............

I (Gerry Cole) played guitar with Frankie circa 1975/ 76 at the Wreck Bar in Castaways in N. Miami Beach. Those were the days! Party time baby! The band was called Frankie Seay and the Contact High. I was so naive, I thought it had something to do with the medicine Contac. lol I never heard this tune- we didn't do it. This sounds like mid to late 60's. In the middle of the gig, he had this schtick that he did. He would have like a chick sit on a chair, and he'd hold it with his teeth! No lie!
Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The Florida based outfit that also used the name Tropical Records was based out of two different places in the NE part of the State.

One base was Ormond Beach which is on the Atlantic coast immediately north of Daytona Beach.

When the label released the Bobby Williams 45 (see post #7) they were based out of Deland which is inland and about 40 kms from Ormond Beach. 

There is a bit of info on this TROPICAL RECORDS on the net ........ here's an extract (relevant bits) .......

.......  (some) TROPICAL RECORDS 45's 

118: Charles Vickers -- Did You Have A Good Time / Every Day's Blue Monday
125: Charles Vickers -- Where Do The Teardrops Go / I'm Trying To Believe I'm Through (1967 release ?)
128: Country Church Singers -- Jesus Was A Helpful Man / And He Heard Me //Who Else Is Listening / Divine Guidance & Revelation
130: Bobby Williams & His Mar Kings -- Darling, Here Is My Heart / All The Time
136: True Heavenly Gospel Singers -- Nobody But You, Lord / Ain't It Sweet To Know
139: Charles Vickers -- No, No More Tears / Can't Get Anywhere With You // If I / Wondering, Wondering
140: Tammie Johns -- Soul Searching For My Baby / Soul Power (both wr. Sullivan-Sherman)
141: Mighty Willing Gospel Singers -- All The Way With Jesus / Have You Got Your Ticket
147: Roger Hamilton & Odds & Ends -- I'm A Mojo Man / Something's Wrong (c.'69)
153: Gospel Days -- I've Tried Jesus / Holdin' On By Faith
164: Charles Vickers -- That Little Honey Bee / Jim Lea -- You Can Light Another Candle (Chuck McCarthy)
167: Heavenly Trumpets -- I Want To Rest / O Not Enough Love
170: Sensational Spiritualaires -- Give Up The World / Son Of God
171: Charles Vickers -- Thunder Bay / Yes-es Of Yesterday
172: Charles Vickers -- Let There Be Another Tomorrow / Let's Go Back
172: Charles Vickers -- If The Hat Fits / You've Gotta Meet Your Partner

.......  (some) TROPICAL RECORDS LP's 

165: Charles Vickers -- The Charles Vickers Album

Come On Down (Olga Wolkenstein)
Over Too Soon (Gunther Woschank)
If I ("Rebel" Fortini)
I Don't Want To Dream An Impossible Dream (Gene Aloe)
Witch Woman (Florence Trento-Gordon Florence)
Did She Mention My Name? (Henry G. James)
What More Can I Offer? (Albert McCauley)
Half-Hearted (James Harmon-Henry Marcus)
Raining Sorrow (Joseph Zavitsky-Helen Chaney)
A Million Clowns (Jessie Munro)
Twilight Lonely (Louis Petro-Bernard Reichman)
Soul Searching For My Baby (Mike Sullivan-Don Sherman)

402: Charles Vickers -- Does Disco

Baby, What's Gonna Happen Tonight? (Wanda & Wen Allen)
Woman And Love (Theodore Stokes)
Shut Your Mouth (Wanda & Wen Allen)
Just To Get Her Out Of My Mind (Thelma Miller)
Tryin' To Keep You Out Of My Mind (Lee Alison)
Nightmare (Jim Kelly)
Livin' In Paradise (Donnie Covington)
Tug Of Love (Robert Bernasconi)
Black Widow Spider (C.U. Smith)
Disco Joggin' (Camille Beaulieu)
Crazy Knockin' (Bernie Perry)*
I Promised My Baby (Bernie Perry)
There Can't Be A Dream Without A Dreamer (Cliff Huddleson & Stacey Stevens)

403: Charles Vickers -- Disco Pop For The 80's
A Brand New Face (Edward Culver, R.C. Culver)
I've Been A Fool (John Drogas)
So Lonely (James Miliken)
It's Significant (William Doane)
True Love Can Never Go Wrong (Ted Nagle)
You Are Mine (Wanda Allen, Wen Allen)
Please Walk Away (Wanda Allen, Den Allen)
Love Left Before I Woke (Larry Liljenquist)
How Many Years 'Til April? (Vyrl Burghart)
Gift Of Love (G.P. King)
Home For Me Is Only Where You Are (Sonia Oliver)
From The First Moment (Randy Braman)
Nothing Will Keep Me From You (Lionel Beauchamp, Duane Hannigan)

ALL ABOVE TAKEN FROM .........  https://www.songpoemmusic.com/labels/tropical.htm

It makes sense that Charles Vickers cut for this Nth Florida label (& not the Miami based one) as he was born in Daytona Beach.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

More on Nth Florida's Charles Vickers ..............

Charles Vickers is a native of Daytona Beach, Florida. He first appeared on stage at the tender age of six. He was chosen to sing the Lord's Prayer by the late Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune at her college program. The event was held at White Hall on the campus of Bethune Cookman College and Charles Vickers was chosen to sing solo. Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune became a great inspiration in his life. Afterwards Dr. Bethune nodded a head of approval to the young singer. She was so amazed to see such a little fellow singing that song with such great enthusiasm! He learnt to play piano from his sister who was taking formal music lessons, quickly learning the keys on the piano. He later took lessons himself from a renowned pianist in Florida. At age of fourteen, Charles had his own gospel radio show a local radio station WDAT. He went on to host a local gospel TV show. By the time he turned twenty, Charles signed his first recording contract with King Records ("Do Me Good / Lost My Faith In You” King 45-6128 1967). “Do Me Good” escaped on V.A. LP's released in France & Germany. Charles was trained in classical and gospel music and although his records are still played all over the world, he has yet to receive anything more than a few dollars in royalties.

Charles has a book (gospel themed) that is available from Amazon. 

"Do Me Good" ........... 

"Me Lost My Faith In You" .... 

post-22122-0-60921800-1427221195_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

This is an interesting thread and I'd certainly like to learn more about the Miami Tropical label and what all of the missing numbers are…That Alberta Baker is a totally ameteur recording, it doesn't even sound like it was done in a studio! Fascinating.

Social source share

The Tropical Records shop (4950 NW 7th Ave) was still listed (in Billboard) as a 'Hot Black Singles Retail Outlet' as late as 1985 (along with Peaches, Specs and Rudy's Records which were also in Miami).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!