*** Big Soul Book Sell Off Indivudially Or As A Job Lot For £45 Quid ***

these were all stored at my in-laws place in Wales, have them at home now but Ive no room for them here either, Ive reduced everything in red, or as a one off £45 the lot, thats allot of books for 45 quid, probably best picked up, I'm near Aylesbury HP22....

but if its Post, depends on what book you buy, as there all shapes and sizes below, but I'll come back a quote pretty quick, offer 1st class signed for within the Uk, nothing over £50 here, happy to do a deal on multiple books..sweeten the post and all that, just contact me with what you want...

Kind regards,

Malcolm

Soul / Northern Soul Interest

The Sound of Philadelphia / by Tony Cummings £15 EX- condition £10

Overall nice condition for a book printed in 1975, just a small tear on the right of the front cover half way down, easily mended. One of the Collectable 'Soul' Books out there this one... But then, you know that..

Heart & Soul : A Celebration of Black Music Style in America 1930-1975 / By Bob Marlis/David Seay Forward by Etta James £8 M- condition

This is a really lovely illustrated book,  tons and tons of original Album art, full colour, no expense spared in the Printing of this one...says 400 colour Illustrations, the forward by Etta is worth the asking price alone... £5

Higher Ground: Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield & the rise & fall of American Soul

by Craig Werner M- Hardback with wrapped dust sheet £8 M- condition £5

Good book this, the angle basically as the forward suggests:  weaves the above fabulous artists personal narratives into the historic fabric of their times.

Gladys Knight: My Life story: between Each line of Pain and Glory - £8 Ex- condition Hardback £5

Great autobiography, has an LP Discography in the back, really allot on her early life and career, all the facts are in there as well, you know the stuff collectors like to know.. Good book...Nice cover as well..

Too Darn Soulful: The Story of Northern Soul by David Howell £4 paperback EX condition £3

Now a classic read, loads of great pictures, tons of top tens and all the great stories you would expect..

Dream Girl.  My Life as a Supreme : Mary Wilson  £3 VG++ condition, Pocket size paperback £2

Read this dozens of times on the train and plane, wort's and all account of the Primmettes / Supremes, good read specially as we all want to now about the groups inner relationships, Mary dedicates the book to the memory of Florence "Blondie" Ballad...

Sweet Soul Music by Peter Gualnick VG++ condition £5  £4

One of the best books ive read on Soul Music, lots of accolades on the cover but all well deserved, tons of Michael Ochs Archive pics, and the parts on Salomon Burke really are a brilliant read... recommended this!!

The Soul Stylists: six decades of Modernisim from Mods to casuals by Paolo Hewitt Forward by Paul Weller VG++ condition £4 £3

Ive always had a passing interest in Hewett and Paul Wellers relationship, only in that I know they were very close but seem to had fallen out big style some years ago, which was reported pretty widely,  in all honesty I bought this book to see if there was anything on that, there isn't.....that said, this is a thoroughly good read. Tons of extracts from a host of sources including Ady Croasdell, Norman Jay, Ian Hebditch, and the very funny Terry Farley.  He may be thought of a misery guts, but he makes me laugh;  when he left his full time job to become a DJ, he said he couldn't fit old dears Gas Meters knowingly....well you know why.... its an easy read this, and very enjoyable..

NORTHERN SOUL TOP 500 by Nivek Strebor, :facepalm:  £10

The First Edition, sleeve is a tad worn now, but its the hardback one. Got the other two, so dont need this..there is a copy below this ad for £15 ...so save £5

General Music

Pump up the Volume: By Sean Bidder M- £8 £5

This was released to accompany the series of the Same name which was made by Flame TV, broadcast on Ch4 in 2001, now a classic series on the House scene. This was a labor of love for me also, as I licensed tons of stills and footage into the original CH4 series on behalf of dozens of Photographers, and I did the deal for the sleeve of this book with the author, has the note he wrote me when it got published. Very proud of this one..

Hip Priest: The Story of Mark E. Smith by Simon Ford VG++ £5 £4

If you like the group, or 'Groups' Mark E Smith has put together over the years, you will love this, lots of attitude!!! Again I licensed the Photograph by Kevin Cummins for the cover of this book...

Grits by Niall Griffiths M- £4 £3

This is a novel set in the late 1990's. A young group of drifters from all over the UK find them selves in a small town on the West coast of Wales. Promiscuity, Drugs, alcohol, Petty crime ensue,  gritty stuff and a really good read. Has glowing accolades from Ervine Welsh..You guessed it, I licensed the cover of this as well.

Withnail & I by Thomas Hewitt-McManus, Forward by Ralph Brown. Paperback £4 VG ++ condition. £3

Basically everything you ever wanted to know about this classic film.. they should do one on 'Sideways' as well... If you know and love the film, you will love this book...

Art History / Reference Books  or £5 the pair

Ways of Seeing by John Berger VG++ £5 £4

This accompanied a series of the same name in the late 7ts I think. If your an Art Student of any persuasion, or simply interested in Photography, you need this book. That's if you can get past the Surrealist 'Key of Dreams' by Margritte... I'll post a piccie below this list...

Film History: Theory and Practice. by Robert C. Allen / Douglas Gomery. £4 VG++ condition £3

Books like this dont ever date really, this book deals with the History of Film, Research, Reading and although the Technological chapter is redundant the other chapters give fabulous insight in 'how' to approach film History. Its got a seriously good reading guide as well. You need books like this, as this info is simply not on the web, not presented in this way.

SOUL MUSIC RESEARCH / REFERENCE BOOKS

1000 Record Covers culled from the Michael Ochs archive by Taschen £4 £3

Great colour illustrations, loads of genre's covered, tons of Soul, R&B etc whats not to love!! Its quite a heavy book this..thick but small..

A&R Book Search, Issue number 15: Books for the Record collector £3 £2

This is a great reference book, covers all genre's of music as you would expect..the above books in there on page 206..

The Music Guide to Soul, Definitive Guide to R&B and soul (Backbeat Books) £5 £4

Says 8,450 Recordings, by 1,550 Artists in all Styles... Its a biggie, a heavy coffee table jobbie.. well worth a fiver...

Finally, The Hobbitt by J.R.R. Tolkein (Hardback M- condition) £5 £4

if your kids have all the Lego, been to see both films, and they simply CAN'T wait any longer, drag every chapter out with the book.. that said, its worth reading again given how much they padded out the films, there are some notable differences...

Magazines

The Face : The Northern soul Issue from Sept 1982 (Number 29). 'A Primer for the New Soul Rebels' £10 £5

You dont see these about these days, 8 or so pages on the Northern scene from the early 8ts, Ive scanned some below, Great piece of printed history this, also has Kevin Rowland, Philip K Dick Review, the one to get.

cheers all..

Malcolm

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now