Peter99

Seen Any Good Films Recently

439 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2014 at 19:44, Peter99 said:

Evening All

We've had a few film threads in the past - not including the numerous recent threads about the Northern Soul film, so I thought resurrect the theme.

I've not watched a decent film for a bit - rely on Virgin Media as I don't go to the pictures, and there's been nowt decent on for ages. I have planned to watch the new film about Tony Benn - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2636424/

It looks good.

Anyone seen that or have any other recommendations. And remember it's about good films - not rubbish ones!

Peter

Watch I Daniel Blake Pete if you like good political working class film ken loachs film about a hard working working class man distroyed by the system is brilliant have your hankies ready for the end cheers yocky 

Pretty decent new western ... "In a Valley of Violence"

And for something completely different give "Swiss Army Man" a go.

Alive Inside....hook me up when I'm dribbling to see may days out with some Northern...yeah

I saw The Accountant on Tuesday, enjoyable movie, bit far fetched but aren't they all? The main character is autistic, but I'm not sure his father's method of treatment would be acceptable here. Some good action sequences, worth seeing the film.

caught nocturnal creatures last weekend

a very good film, was an immersive couple of hours 

Watched this on Amazon Prime last night.  "Labyrinth of Lies" is a German film (subtitles provided) about a young public prosecutor in 1958 Frankfurt, who brings a case against ex Waffen SS members stationed at Auschwitz.

Another night, another foreign language film.  This time Battle for Sevastopol, about a Russian woman sniper, Lyudmila Pavilchenko, credited with 309 kills.

Watched Snowdon last week, Great film.  Ian

Got those two on my Amazon wish list Steve, I was intrigued by the end of the Sevastopol trailer when she is in the crosshairs until I read too much of one of the reviews on Amazon. Currently enjoying Modus on  BBC 4

Saw 'Allied' in the week. Was OK, quite watchable and middle of the road viewing. Got four stars in some reviews but two in others. Partly filmed in London with the pub scenes in our local boozer. Did Brad Pitt have an affair with his co-star...watch it and decide for yourself?

10 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Saw 'Allied' in the week. Was OK, quite watchable and middle of the road viewing. Got four stars in some reviews but two in others. Partly filmed in London with the pub scenes in our local boozer. Did Brad Pitt have an affair with his co-star...watch it and decide for yourself?

I saw Allied last night, found it ok like you, too many scenes stretched credibility to the limit for me...especially the one where he went in search of the one armed man 

The Salvation, a good old fashioned shitkicking revenge western starring Mads Mikkelsen as a Danish immigrant in 1870s America.  Eva Green and Eric Cantona also star.  

Saw 'FILTH' t'other day.........never seen owt like it.....since Trainspotting as the ad sez!!!!x Glad I don't do drugs anymore....that woulda been a mess watching it for sure!!!!xhehe!x Off to Edinburgh/Glasgow this week......will walk some of those streets featured......quite scared now...and definately won't glance at any blonde lady's!!!!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

filth.jpg

:hatsoff2:SAL  took me to see Rogue 1  brilliant film as good as the first. Go at  4 pm nobody really in the cinema .lost to film world for a couple of hours .:thumbsup::yes:

Watched Cop Car with Kevin Bacon the other night (£3 from Sainsburys). Knew nothing about it but a really enjoyable watch. Two lads joy ride in a cop car and things go on from there. It has the feel of an indie film,  and the two lead lads are really good. Worth £3 anytime of day - go treat yourself.

Merry Xmas

On 10 November 2016 at 18:31, mike said:

caught nocturnal creatures last weekend

a very good film, was an immersive couple of hours 

I Really enjoyed it but kind of even more fascinating is the strange contradictory nature of the director / fashion designer, in both of his films so far he rails against the shallowness of wealth and luxury whilst at the same time coming from and funding his films from that same world, I think he's a modern day Sirk, complex and fascinating.

recently saw Jim jarmusch 'Paterson' which was brilliant, one of best films I've seen this year

and Spike Lee's "Chi-raq" a hard hitting attack on black on black gun murder in USA , great soundtrack for old School devotees there's a great version do Chi lites "Oh girl" (eugene record even gets a name check in the dialogue - surely a movie first !) and nick cannon sets the scene brilliantly

Oh yeah there's even an appearance by 'The wires' one and only Clay Davis with the longest 'sssshhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt' in movie history !

Edited by polyvelts

12 hours ago, polyvelts said:

I Really enjoyed it but kind of even more fascinating is the strange contradictory nature of the director / fashion designer, in both of his films so far he rails against the shallowness of wealth and luxury whilst at the same time coming from and funding his films from that same world, I think he's a modern day Sirk, complex and fascinating.

recently saw Jim jarmusch 'Paterson' which was brilliant, one of best films I've seen this year

and Spike Lee's "Chi-raq" a hard hitting attack on black on black gun murder in USA , great soundtrack for old School devotees there's a great version do Chi lites "Oh girl" (eugene record even gets a name check in the dialogue - surely a movie first !) and nick cannon sets the scene brilliantly

Oh yeah there's even an appearance by 'The wires' one and only Clay Davis with the longest 'sssshhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt' in movie history !

12 hours ago, polyvelts said:

Ford spoke about the fact that his films rail against the world he inhabits in a radio 4 interview a couple of weeks ago, he is an interesting man.

Also got a couple of nice shirts he designed for Brooks Brothers......:thumbsup:

Edited by El Corol
spelling

9 hours ago, El Corol said:

Also got a couple of nice shirts he designed for Brooks Brothers......:thumbsup:

Did they wear them whilst out 'looking for a woman' ? :lol: sorry ... Couldn't resist that one !

alright Rob, hope alls well with you and family. Will check out cop car !

Sorry if it has been mentioned earlier in the thread ,watched the German film North Face on dvd last night about the attempt to be the first to  scale the north face of the Eiger in 1936, excellent well worth a watch

Just finished watching "Truth" on Now TV.  Based on a CBS News 60 Minute feature which aired when George W Bush was running for a second term in office, it centred around Bush's time in theTexas National Guard at the time of the Vietnam War.  The film raises questions about the "freedom" of the press during the Bush administration.

"A monster Call" is worth seeing, moving and thought provoking blah blah blah

Just before Christmas I saw The Birth Of A Nation, not the old Cecil B DeMille silent one, quite good I thought with some horrifying scenes of how slaves were treated. Sad ending though.

Earlier this week I saw Silence, the new Scorsese movie, set in 17th century Japan. Roman Catholic converts are being persecuted by the authorities in Japan and two Jesuit priests go there to find out the truth of a rumour that another Jesuit has apostatised (hope that is the right word). Quite a long film but I enjoyed it.

On Steve's recommendation watched Labyrinth of Lies last night, excellent and thought provoking , got me doing a bit of research this morning regarding German knowledge of events both before and after the war, found this article particularly interesting.  https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/feb/17/johnezard

Not sure if the link is going to work. If deemed political by mods please remove.

Accounting & deep water horizon both worth watching 

Going to see "Sulley" tomorrow, brother's seen it says it's good.

1 hour ago, Chris L said:

Thought it was great 

40 minutes ago, jazz said:

Thought it was great 

He's a great character actor is Tom Hanks. I read a book about this on one of my visits to Romania. 

3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

He's a great character actor is Tom Hanks. I read a book about this on one of my visits to Romania. 

Whoever he plays he plays the part properly 

2 hours ago, Chris L said:

Even though we know what happens it is a great drama.....raised a few talking points after release that you might wish to look up and read about.

5 minutes ago, chalky said:

Even though we know what happens it is a great drama.....raised a few talking points after release that you might wish to look up and read about.

Thanks will do that. 

Saw this last night. Bit silly, but plenty of funnies and well worth a watch.

On 1/8/2017 at 17:01, chalky said:

Well got to see "Sulley" yesterday, very, very good film. In terms of acting & producing, a very polished performance. As for the story plot, always a tough one when it's based on a true story but generally the film is accurate, although no mention of the fact that Airbus aircraft have water tight undercarriage doors, had it been either a Boeing 737 or McDonnell Douglas MD-80, the US's two other major fleet aircraft, they probably wouldn't have got off so lightly. Christiane was shocked with that US corporate/litigating culture where you guilty until proven innocent. What the film also showed was the US's "can do" culture, showing initiative without being asked or indeed asking, it's something I've always admired in America. Well recommended.

Just watched "Hidden Figures" , based on the work of the female 'computers' responsible for much of the trajectory calculations in the early days of NASA.

Great insight into the way things were on so many levels in the States in the early 60's , good soundtrack too , not the usual run of the mill tunes you might expect.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/

Edited by WoodButcher

On 08/01/2017 at 13:00, jazz said:

Accounting & deep water horizon both worth watching 

I would recommend "The Accountant".  Yet to watch Deep Water Horizon.

Watched the French film La Famille Belier last night on DVD, one of those films where I had the feeling I'd just watched something special. Won't be for everybody, in a nutshell a farming family where the parents and younger brother are all deaf, the daughter the only one who can hear gets the chance to audition for a Choir, some very funny exchanges with two moments of pure brilliance plus several heartstring plucking moments. If you want a change from spies, war and sci fi you could do worse thsn give it a go, as I say probably not for everyone. 

Hell Or High Water is worth a watch. Chris Pine plays a divorced father who, along with his ex con brother, plan a series of bank robberies in order to pay off the mortgage and debts of their recently deceased mother and save the family ranch.  The bank in question is the one about to foreclose on the ranch.  Jeff Bridges plays the soon to retire Texas Ranger who is hot on their heels.

Got to see "Wolf of Wall street" at last, crikey 3 hours of non-stop drugs and sex. Wonder if it really was so wild ?

Just watched Hidden Figures Great film:

As the United States raced against Russia to put a man in space, NASA found untapped talent in a group of African-American female mathematicians that served as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in U.S. history. Based on the unbelievably true life stories of three of these women, known as "human computers", we follow these women as they quickly rose the ranks of NASA alongside many of history's greatest minds specifically tasked with calculating the momentous launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit

Ian

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Related Soul Music Links