Yate, Just A Distant Memory ?

malayka

This great little allniter in the West Country, was the starting place for so many people. It ran for five fraught years under five different promoters, but was so much fun.

Saw Rowland a few months ago and we spent several hour in fits, re-counting story after story from those great lost years. Martin Peerman dressed up as Jake The Pake, Steve Smith's amazing spins, that could result in several tables being taken out when they went wrong. The night it snowed in late may and it took us five hours to get just 20 miles home. Lost the car exhaust after only 3 miles, cuz I had 7 people in the car plus 3 dj boxes and the deep snow ripped it off. The slight disagreements with the locals in yate before some of the allniters. Great days!!!!!! :D:D

Your addition welcome

Anyone got any posters(Maybe even for sale)

Dave

Social source share

This great little allniter in the West Country, was the starting place for so many people. It ran for five fraught years under five different promoters, but was so much fun.

Saw Rowland a few months ago and we spent several hour in fits, re-counting story after story from those great lost years. Martin Peerman dressed up as Jake The Pake, Steve Smith's amazing spins, that could result in several tables being taken out when they went wrong. The night it snowed in late may and it took us five hours to get just 20 miles home. Lost the car exhaust after only 3 miles, cuz I had 7 people in the car plus 3 dj boxes and the deep snow ripped it off. The slight disagreements with the locals in yate before some of the allniters. Great days!!!!!! :D:D

Your addition welcome

Dave

Same problem as always, two people, one computer. Clearly I posted this note, as Malayka was still climbing mountains and chasing sheep in the 70's

Social source share

A memory yes, but never distant! Remember that snowy night only too well...the exhaust thing happened to us as well half way back up the M5...in those pre-mobile phone days when getting a lift home from Mac I'd ring the taxi company in Cheltenham from the services and the cab would be sitting on the motorway brige waiting for me (could have spent that money on another 45!)...so many great memories of good nights, still say a good 'un at Yate was as good as any other niter! Good times, good sounds, good mates and many a bad head on a Monday morning...

Hippo.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I collected together a whole load of tracks people on here associated with Yate about this time last year. If I get a chance to hunt out the file at Lunchtime I will stick them on here. We may even get a few more to add to the list.

list compiled thanks to: Hippo, Pete french, Martinsbox, Dave Greenfield, Steve C, Russ Vickers, Dayo, Johnny and Ali One Trout, Shute, Enchantedrhythm Ady C and Paul R

Ady C had his arm twisted on here to maybe get a Kent compilation tribute to Yate...so any more arm twisting might have the desired rewards.

Found it ;-)

hope this works:

Larry Allen Cant we talk it Over Green Dolphin

Rufus Lumley Stronger than me RCA

Marva Hicks Looking over my shoulder Infinity

Elbie Parker Please keep away from me Veep

Bobby Kline Say something nice to me M.B.

Willie & the Mighty Magnificents Souling All Platinum

Carol & Gerry How can I ever find a way

The Miracle Workers Overture

Rex Garvin You don't need no help

Vala Reagan Fireman

Mamie Lee I can feel him slipping away M.G.M

Antiques Go for yourself Lasalle

Soul Partners Just Fun Amazing

Wakefield Sun Trypt on love

Nightwatch Lips to your heart

Memphis Horns I cant turn you loose

Precisions Such Misery

Classic Sullivans Paint yourself in a corner

Larry Houston Lets spend some time HFMP

Joe Tex Under your powerful love

Edwin Starr Contact

Jay Traynor Up and over

The Lonely Crowd Shadows & reflections

Bell Boys I don't want to loose you now

Village Sound These windows

Rain Out of my mind

Paula Parfitt Love is wonderful

Beverley Ann He's coming home RCA

Kiki Dee Magic carpet ride Fontana

Peggy March If you loved me

Soul Communicators Fee Bee

Ohio Players L S T M F ???

Bernie Williams Ever Again

Gambrells Jive Talk

George Kirby What can I do

Anthony and the Sophomores Heartbreak

Appreciations I cant hide it

B J Thomas ??

Cajun Heart Got to find a way

Ty Karim You really made it good to me Romark

Del Counts With another guy

Kris Peterson Just as much Top Dog

Royal 5 Say it to my face

Bobby Paris I walked away Capitol

Paul Anka When we get there R.C.A.

John Drevars The closer she gets M.G.M.

Margie & the formations Sad illusion Co-ed

Pinkooshings Make it easy Mercury

Buckinghams Don't you care Columbia

Tamala Lewis You wont say nothing Marton

Diane Newby What you're putting me through Kapp

Ad Libs New york in the dark A.J.P.

Lou Roberts Ten to one M.G.M.

Frankie and Johnny I'll hold you

Robbie Royal Only you Mercury

Deena johnson Sad girl

Connie Questal Give up girl

Leon Thomas L O V E

Joann Courcey I got the power

Pattie Labelle Lovin Rules

Sterling Magee Keep on

Gambrells Jive Talk

Shamettes Don't waste your time (Love this)

Sweethearts Beauty is just skin deep

Theo Coff Lucky Day

Tojo Broken hearted lover

Gia Mateo I you cant say anything nice RCA

Four Tracks Like my love for you

Miroslav Virteos Nyk city

Hokis Pokis Swing

Miracles Overture

Harold Melvin Love I lost

Ringleaders Baby what has happened M-Pac

Star Treks Gonna need magic

Delites Lover

Sherry & the Inverts I'm lost

Sam Williams Love slipped through my fingers

Betty Turner Be careful girl

Memphians South Memphis Dave T Cover up??

American Youth Choir Keep your fine self near me

Otis Clay Showplace

Anita Humes & the Essex Everybody's got you

Lou Lawton Wrapped in a dream

Mighty Marvellows I'm so confused

Martha Starr No part time love for me

Martha & the Vandellas Come & get these memories

Gene Chandler She's such a pretty thing

Supremes There's no stopping now

Kelly Brothers Love time

Etta James/Sugar Pie DeSanto Do I make myself clear

Rita & the Tiaras Gone woth the wind Dore

Frank Dell He broke your game wide open

Wilbur Walton Jr 24 hours of lonliness

Precisions Such Misery

Capitols Cant deny that I love you

Herb Ward Strange Change

Virgil Murray I still care?

Otis Smith C'mon and dance now COVER UP???

Syng McGowan That's what I want

Outsiders Gotta leave us alone

Beverley Wright Where the good times are

Inspirations Your wish is my command

Crampton Sisters Baby, baby

Melvin Davis Find a quiet place

Orsa Lia Chain of life

Chris Bartley You get next to my heart

Robbie Royal Only you

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

A memory yes, but never distant! Remember that snowy night only too well...the exhaust thing happened to us as well half way back up the M5...in those pre-mobile phone days when getting a lift home from Mac I'd ring the taxi company in Cheltenham from the services and the cab would be sitting on the motorway brige waiting for me (could have spent that money on another 45!)...so many great memories of good nights, still say a good 'un at Yate was as good as any other niter! Good times, good sounds, good mates and many a bad head on a Monday morning...

Hippo.

Agreed mate!!! Never had a bad night at Yate - if i did i cant remember it anyway! Always an up for it crowd, so many mates, so many good times. Often talk about it - the all nighter itself, Sunday morning football outside, the baths, then getting barred from all the pubs in the area one after the other. Not leaving Yate till 5o'colock Sunday afternoon - hazy days alright.

Certainly memorable days - as good as any other nights i ever went to - & i went to a few!!

Alan

PS - Who remembers the Anniversary all nighter & dayer all in one - 21 hours non stop!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by eamesy
Social source share

Guest peter burke

Agreed mate!!! Never had a bad night at Yate - if i did i cant remember it anyway! Always an up for it crowd, so many mates, so many good times. Often talk about it - the all nighter itself, Sunday morning football outside, the baths, then getting barred from all the pubs in the area one after the other. Not leaving Yate till 5o'colock Sunday afternoon - hazy days alright.

Certainly memorable days - as good as any other nights i ever went to - & i went to a few!!

Alan

PS - Who remembers the Anniversary all nighter & dayer all in one - 21 hours non stop!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

My first All-Niter experience was at the late John Harvey's Inter-City Soul Club, at Yate, in 1975 and it was quite novel to frequent a "local" do on a regular basis over a number of years under various promoters at both the Stirling suite and the Yate baths. The crowd was always top-notch, the majority of D.J's were of similar ilk, and the music was enjoyable (most of it anyway, but everyone to their own eh?) I made some very good friends there over the years, and would relish the chance of attending a maybe one-off reunion :(

Great times spent in great company. :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I collected together a whole load of tracks people on here associated with Yate about this time last year. If I get a chance to hunt out the file at Lunchtime I will stick them on here. We may even get a few more to add to the list.

list compiled thanks to: Hippo, Pete french, Martinsbox, Dave Greenfield, Steve C, Russ Vickers, Dayo, Johnny and Ali One Trout, Shute, Enchantedrhythm Ady C and Paul R

Ady C had his arm twisted on here to maybe get a Kent compilation tribute to Yate...so any more arm twisting might have the desired rewards.

Found it ;-)

hope this works:

Larry Allen Cant we talk it Over Green Dolphin

Rufus Lumley Stronger than me RCA

Marva Hicks Looking over my shoulder Infinity

Elbie Parker Please keep away from me Veep

Bobby Kline Say something nice to me M.B.

Willie & the Mighty Magnificents Souling All Platinum

Carol & Gerry How can I ever find a way

The Miracle Workers Overture

Vala Reagan Fireman

Mamie Lee I can feel him slipping away M.G.M

Antiques Go for yourself Lasalle

Soul Partners Just Fun Amazing

Wakefield Sun Trypt on love

Nightwatch Lips to your heart

Memphis Horns I cant turn you loose

Precisions Such Misery

Classic Sullivans Paint yourself in a corner

Larry Houston Lets spend some time HFMP

Joe Tex Under your powerful love

Edwin Starr Contact

Jay Traynor Up and over

The Lonely Crowd Shadows & reflections

Bell Boys I don't want to loose you now

Village Sound These windows

Rain Out of my mind

Paula Parfitt Love is wonderful

Beverley Ann He's coming home RCA

Kiki Dee Magic carpet ride Fontana

Peggy March If you loved me

Soul Communicators Fee Bee

Ohio Players L S T M F ???

Bernie Williams Ever Again

Gambrells Jive Talk

George Kirby What can I do

Anthony and the Sophomores Heartbreak

Appreciations I cant hide it

B J Thomas ??

Cajun Heart Got to find a way

Ty Karim You really made it good to me Romark

Del Counts With another guy

Kris Peterson Just as much Top Dog

Royal 5 Say it to my face

Bobby Paris I walked away Capitol

Paul Anka When we get there R.C.A.

John Drevars The closer she gets M.G.M.

Margie & the formations Sad illusion Co-ed

Pinkooshings Make it easy Mercury

Buckinghams Don't you care Columbia

Tamala Lewis You wont say nothing Marton

Diane Newby What you're putting me through Kapp

Ad Libs New york in the dark A.J.P.

Lou Roberts Ten to one M.G.M.

Frankie and Johnny I'll hold you

Robbie Royal Only you Mercury

Deena johnson Sad girl

Connie Questal Give up girl

Leon Thomas L O V E

Joann Courcey I got the power

Pattie Labelle Lovin Rules

Sterling Magee Keep on

Gambrells Jive Talk

Shamettes Don't waste your time (Love this)

Sweethearts Beauty is just skin deep

Theo Coff Lucky Day

Tojo Broken hearted lover

Gia Mateo I you cant say anything nice RCA

Four Tracks Like my love for you

Miroslav Virteos Nyk city

Hokis Pokis Swing

Miracles Overture

Harold Melvin Love I lost

Ringleaders Baby what has happened M-Pac

Star Treks Gonna need magic

Delites Lover

Sherry & the Inverts I'm lost

Sam Williams Love slipped through my fingers

Betty Turner Be careful girl

Memphians South Memphis Dave T Cover up??

American Youth Choir Keep your fine self near me

Otis Clay Showplace

Anita Humes & the Essex Everybody's got you

Lou Lawton Wrapped in a dream

Mighty Marvellows I'm so confused

Martha Starr No part time love for me

Martha & the Vandellas Come & get these memories

Gene Chandler She's such a pretty thing

Supremes There's no stopping now

Kelly Brothers Love time

Etta James/Sugar Pie DeSanto Do I make myself clear

Rita & the Tiaras Gone woth the wind Dore

Frank Dell He broke your game wide open

Wilbur Walton Jr 24 hours of lonliness

Precisions Such Misery

Capitols Cant deny that I love you

Herb Ward Strange Change

Virgil Murray I still care?

Otis Smith C'mon and dance now COVER UP???

Syng McGowan That's what I want

Outsiders Gotta leave us alone

Beverley Wright Where the good times are

Inspirations Your wish is my command

Crampton Sisters Baby, baby

Melvin Davis Find a quiet place

Orsa Lia Chain of life

Chris Bartley You get next to my heart

Robbie Royal Only you

Says much for my own pathetic nature that, in what were regrettably few visits to Yate, what I remember most vividly is Clarky hammering Joan Regan's "Don't Talk To Me About Love"...

TONE :D

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Says much for my own pathetic nature that, in what were regrettably few visits to Yate, what I remember most vividly is Clarky hammering Joan Regan's "Don't Talk To Me About Love"...

TONE :D

Visits may have been few, but I've got a photo somewhere of you standing next to Ady C, think Steve Snook is in the photo too.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Visits may have been few, but I've got a photo somewhere of you standing next to Ady C, think Steve Snook is in the photo too.

Dave,

Also recall those dodgy card games in the back room - lot of money on the table at times, all good fun at the time!!

Alan

Social source share

Only went the once,but what a refreshing change from wigan

same here only went the once, myself, JB, tony jackson, siz, along with a few others john hilel, we went to sell siz's new soul time,m we sold out within the hour, and we all agreed we did not like the place so spent the night listening to tapes in the car, cant exlain why but we did not like the place, bloody long journey though all the way from manchester.

mark

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I find it astounding that not even one of these postings has given any props to the man who was unquestionably Yate's best DJ - and, even now, one of the scene's best DJ's period - my mate and near neighbour, Tony Ellis....

TONE whistling.gif

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Nothing dodgy about them at all :thumbsup: . It was open to all, even if they didn't understand Dave Greet rules whistling.gif

He He!

I still don't get his rules! :D

For me the quinessential Yate sound was

Flame n King and The Bold Ones - Oh Happy Day - NYSC

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Flame'n...h_Happy_Day.ram

Probably cos this is where I first heard it. Seem to remember it was covered as The Carstairs at one point?

Took this back to Burnley. Went MASSIVE. Great record.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Greety might have had some strange rules for cards (don't think I could have handled that so I stayed clear whistling.gif ) but by God did he play some cracking sounds - as, I agree, did Tony, who gave Yate a musical depth most other niters at the time didn't have...yes, there were a few who couldn't get the Yate vibe, but it probably had something to do with the very dry sense of humour that was usually around!

Suddenly remembered - watching Quatermass as the late film on TV at Dave Thorley's house before heading off for Yate...

Hippo.

Social source share

Tony, Hippo your right, Tony Ellis has always been a man of great soulful taste.

Tony, Ian Clarke, Dave Greet and a whole bunch from Stroud would come round to my house saturday tea time. Tony and Ian would amaze everyone with thier new finds, everyone would get feed and then it would be off to the New Inn at Waterly Bottoms. Tony and Ian were great real ale fans, and this pub was run by the chairman of CAMRA. We would fall out at closing time, god knows how drove after that. Then off to Yate to stay up all night. Can't beat it!!!!

Social source share

Waterley Bottom? That pub's hard enough to get to sober, and those lanes seem narrower in the dark! Still excellent beer though...

Another memory - in the later days, after Mac had moved on, we were using Dave Taylors mobile kit, good but one night it just died on us. Credit to Dave, he made it from his bed in Dursley to the club in twenty agonisingly long minutes!

Social source share

Waterley Bottom? That pub's hard enough to get to sober, and those lanes seem narrower in the dark! Still excellent beer though...

Another memory - in the later days, after Mac had moved on, we were using Dave Taylors mobile kit, good but one night it just died on us. Credit to Dave, he made it from his bed in Dursley to the club in twenty agonisingly long minutes!

You right I used to pick it up from his house and bring it down. But his second name wasn't Taylor. Worse, he was my best man at my first wedding and I can't remember his name whistling.gif

You right I used to pick it up from his house and bring it down. But his second name wasn't Taylor. Worse, he was my best man at my first wedding and I can't remember his name :lol:

But his disco was called 'The Changing Times Roadshow', he loved the Four Tops

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks, how embarassing :lol:

No worries. I enjoyed the stories about you lot before Yate.

I never went to the Baths, only the Stars and Stripes venue.

We used to go to a mod club in Bristol beforehand, not as much fun as a tear up down Waterley Bottom :lol: Hadnt heard that name in ages. whistling.gif

Had some great drinks down there, and then tried to stagger home through the woods. Piggin mad.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Tony, Hippo your right, Tony Ellis has always been a man of great soulful taste.

Tony, Ian Clarke, Dave Greet and a whole bunch from Stroud would come round to my house saturday tea time. Tony and Ian would amaze everyone with thier new finds, everyone would get feed and then it would be off to the New Inn at Waterly Bottoms. Tony and Ian were great real ale fans, and this pub was run by the chairman of CAMRA. We would fall out at closing time, god knows how drove after that. Then off to Yate to stay up all night. Can't beat it!!!!

clarkie753.jpg(post-3008-1155927559.jpg tony_ellis754.jpg(post-3008-1155927604.j

Incriminating evidence

Social source share

Didn't go to that one Mike - and that, I think, was a one-off as Kojak was still running the ICSC niters at the Baths until about a year later when the Southern Soul Club took over and moved us back to the Stirling Suite. To my mind, though I had good fun at the Baths, the SSC doos were the definitive Yate niters. Plus being a bigger venue it was easier to hide from Leon, Polly, Gabby etc. trying to crack everyone up

Social source share

Didn't go to that one Mike - and that, I think, was a one-off as Kojak was still running the ICSC niters at the Baths until about a year later when the Southern Soul Club took over and moved us back to the Stirling Suite. To my mind, though I had good fun at the Baths, the SSC doos were the definitive Yate niters. Plus being a bigger venue it was easier to hide from Leon, Polly, Gabby etc. trying to crack everyone up

Gabby one of the great lost souls, still miss him :lol::)

Social source share

Gabby one of the great lost souls, still miss him :):D

Agreed - before he passed on I inherited your old copy of Jimmy and Vella Cameron "Lovin' you is such a groove" from him - one record that'll never leave my collection. :lol:

P.S. Mikey - that's one of Dave's Yate spins that isn't on your list!

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Gabby one of the great lost souls, still miss him :lol::)

Gabby story. He was always trying to crack people up. One night on a trip to wigan, he managed to pursuade Rob Lee that his girlfriend was paying too much attention to Gabby. We used to travel up there in a works vans that I used to get for the weekend from the building company that I worked for. Now these would have what ever had come back from site on the friday night. We would take out anything big, but leave in bags of cement, plaster etc, throw blankets over and everyone would pile in.

By the next morning Rob was well out of his tree and Gabby had not given up all night with his wind up. Half way back I could hear a major commotion in the back, and rob franticly moving round. I ask Leon whats going on, he tells me that Gabby has now told Rob that she has hidden love notes in the van to him. He went manic, by the time we got to Gloucester he was ripping open the bags of cement and plaster. Everyone piles out, sit by the road pissing themselves. It took us half an hour to get Rob to calm down, he eventually stepped out of the van pink from head to toe, covered in plaster. Gabby by this time had pissed off down the pub. And they say great days!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Billy Anorak

]yate77.jpg(post-3556-1159126417_thumb.jpI always had a good time at Yate,went to both venues,as much went on in the car park as inside.I will add a story sometime soon.Check out the photo.Yate 1977..Recognise anybody?The ringed bloke was thought to be me by Dave Warr,but it aint.

Edited by Billy Anorak
Social source share

My first All-Niter experience was at the late John Harvey's Inter-City Soul Club, at Yate, in 1975 and it was quite novel to frequent a "local" do on a regular basis over a number of years under various promoters at both the Stirling suite and the Yate baths. The crowd was always top-notch, the majority of D.J's were of similar ilk, and the music was enjoyable (most of it anyway, but everyone to their own eh?) I made some very good friends there over the years, and would relish the chance of attending a maybe one-off reunion :ohmy:

Great times spent in great company. :ohmy:

YATE AT THE BATHS MY FIRST ALLNIGHTER OVER 30YEARS AGO, REMEMBER THAT NIGHT AS IF IT WAS YESTERDAY, DIDNT MISS MANY NITERS AT YATE BRILLIANT DAYS REUNION WOULD BE GREAT.........

WAZZ.

Social source share

Guest Billy Anorak

YATE AT THE BATHS MY FIRST ALLNIGHTER OVER 30YEARS AGO, REMEMBER THAT NIGHT AS IF IT WAS YESTERDAY, DIDNT MISS MANY NITERS AT YATE BRILLIANT DAYS REUNION WOULD BE GREAT.........

WAZZ.

I'd love it to,but who would be mental enough to organise it.Preferably someone from back then with connections to it for credibility.
Social source share

I'd love it to,but who would be mental enough to organise it.Preferably someone from back then with connections to it for credibility.

BILLY WATCH THIS SPACE,

THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE PIPELINE AS WE SPEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAZZ

Social source share

]yate77.jpg(post-3556-1159126417_thumb.jpI always had a good time at Yate,went to both venues,as much went on in the car park as inside.I will add a story sometime soon.Check out the photo.Yate 1977..Recognise anybody?The ringed bloke was thought to be me by Dave Warr,but it aint.

Billy; where'd you get thet photo! I have a proper copy along with these attached.

YateGroup_05_1978.jpg(post-2334-11592094

1st one is the Worcester Crew, me at the back with hat.

Gail_Di.jpg(post-2334-1159209482_thumb.j

2nd is Gail & Di

GroupPhoto01.jpg(post-2334-1159209545_th

3rd shows Mac on the right

I still have my Southern Soul Club t-shirt, sky blue with the MGM lookalike bear holding two records. Don't fit anymore for two reasons; me Mum shrunk it in the wash and I'm toooo fat!

Great times had, I used to organise the Kidderminster lot to be picked up by the Shrewsbury coach, then drop thru Worcester and onto Michael Woods for a quick pick me up :thumbsup: It was only later when the coach couldn't take anymore that I organised it just for the Kidder & Worcester guys; a fella called Andy still owes me £2.10 for the return journey :D

I did start to put a page together for the Website but forgot to finish it off, I should crack on with it so if anyone has photos of Yate they'd like to include :thumbsup:

Social source share

went to yate once with my mate ritchie we were both in the r n thumbed it from pompey to the m4 swindon and could we hell as like get a lift from there ended up paying £20 for a taxi to the stars and stripes got a lift most of the way back though paula parfitt on beacon always sticks in my mind i used to go to some of kojaks dos in pompey southampton&weymouth what memories a great guy he was

Social source share

Billy; where'd you get thet photo! I have a proper copy along with these attached.

2nd is Gail & Di

I still have my Southern Soul Club t-shirt, sky blue with the MGM lookalike bear holding two records. Don't fit anymore for two reasons; me Mum shrunk it in the wash and I'm toooo fat!

Great times had, I used to organise the Kidderminster lot to be picked up by the Shrewsbury coach, then drop thru Worcester and onto Michael Woods for a quick pick me up :lol: It was only later when the coach couldn't take anymore that I organised it just for the Kidder & Worcester guys; a fella called Andy still owes me £2.10 for the return journey :(

I did start to put a page together for the Website but forgot to finish it off, I should crack on with it so if anyone has photos of Yate they'd like to include :yes:

Love the photos mate, always a favourite place for me, always had a good night - & Sunday aswell!!! Think the guy in bottom of 1st photo is my mate Steve Simpson. Got loads of Yate pics, but cant get my scanner to work at the mo!!

Alan

Social source share

Guest Billy Anorak

2nd is Gail & Di

Great times had, I used to organise the Kidderminster lot to be picked up by the Shrewsbury coach, then drop thru Worcester and onto Michael Woods for a quick pick me up :thumbsup: It was only later when the coach couldn't take anymore that I organised it just for the Kidder & Worcester guys; a fella called Andy still owes me £2.10 for the return journey :D

I did start to put a page together for the Website but forgot to finish it off, I should crack on with it so if anyone has photos of Yate they'd like to include wicked.gif

The photo came from Dave Warr,he;ll spot this on here sometime and might add some more if he's got some.
Social source share

Yate Stars and Stripes was my first all nighter, at the Stars and Stripes, my mun used to dorp me, Dave Taylor (short guy who eventually went to London as a professional dancer) another lad called Andy and Zahid Shaikh who was the younger brother of Abed Shaikh. Then she would pick us up the next day with a flask of soup, :thumbsup:

We were only 13 / 14 at the time :lol:

And was Gabby the guy who worked in trendy clothes shop in Gloucester and ran riot at the Wheelrights soul nights? If so I had been in town (Gloucester) for a lunch time session

(was a bit older then) went nad had my hair dyed, it was meant to be dark blue almost balck even, it didn't take properly, but Gabby persuaded me it looked the dogs nads. So he came out of the shop to watch me walk up Northgate Street with Turquoise hair, still have an image of him wetting himself so much that he was knocking over pedestrians in an effort to stand up.

Went straight to boots and dyed it jet black :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

yate.JPG(post-1935-1159551241_thumb.jpg

Saw Rowland a few months ago and we spent several hour in fits, re-counting story after story from those great lost years. Martin Peerman dressed up as Jake The Pake, Steve Smith's amazing spins, that could result in several tables being taken out when they went wrong. The night it snowed in late may and it took us five hours to get just 20 miles home. Lost the car exhaust after only 3 miles, cuz I had 7 people in the car plus 3 dj boxes and the deep snow ripped it off. The slight disagreements with the locals in yate before some of the allniters. Great days!!!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

Your addition welcome

Dave

Found this out today

Social source share

ok, the games up, after telling everyone i am far too young to have gone to Yate, some bugger puts a picture of me up, gosh i look young there and a lot slimmer, reading the stories about exhausts falling off, i remember one time coming home to Malvern from Yate in my old Ford Escort van, when the fan belt broke, we ground to a halt and everyone piled out, i got Gill Thomas to take her tights off and i used them as a fan belt to get us back home (true story) although gill wasnt too impressed when i offered her her tights back. Happy days, i remember selling Hippo a copy of the Leaders on Blue Rock out in the car park at yate and he only played it to me at the coppertops a few months back, cheers mate. :lol:

rob h.

Social source share

Happy days, i remember selling Hippo a copy of the Leaders on Blue Rock out in the car park at yate and he only played it to me at the coppertops a few months back, cheers mate. :thumbsup:

rob h.

Rob, it's that look of regret on your face everytime we mention it. Funny how one little transaction all those years ago sticks in the mind!

Hippo.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Yate for me was the best nighter ever, I have great memories from those days, it had a class of its own......does anyone remember the guy (we usta call him Roller) who just rolled around on the floor?....or the one who would bring his sleeping bag, lay it out by the stage, get in it & get up at 7am for a dance?....or the two lads from Stroud who would stand on the edge of the dance floor & beat the shit outta each other...lol

Here are some pics, I have others but my scanner is stuffed at the moment.

Baza___Worcester_Girls.jpg(post-1805-116

Steve_Garnett___Kiddiminster_Crew.jpg(po

1st pic is me with Paulline Shiels & Theresa Moule from Worcester, dunno who the guy sitting down is, 2nd one is Steve Garnett from Poole (far right) with some of the Kiddiminster crew

I hope these work :yes: I would be interested if there is anyone who has any more pics from Yate

Baz (formally Poole now Gold Coast Australia)

Social source share

Yate for me was the best nighter ever, I have great memories from those days, it had a class of its own......does anyone remember the guy (we usta call him Roller) who just rolled around on the floor?....or the one who would bring his sleeping bag, lay it out by the stage, get in it & get up at 7am for a dance?....or the two lads from Stroud who would stand on the edge of the dance floor & beat the shit outta each other...lol

Here are some pics, I have others but my scanner is stuffed at the moment.

Baza___Worcester_Girls.jpg(post-1805-116

Steve_Garnett___Kiddiminster_Crew.jpg(po

1st pic is me with Paulline Shiels & Theresa Moule from Worcester, dunno who the guy sitting down is, 2nd one is Steve Garnett from Poole (far right) with some of the Kiddiminster crew

I hope these work :yes: I would be interested if there is anyone who has any more pics from Yate

Baz (formally Poole now Gold Coast Australia)

THE GUY WITH THE SLEEPING BAG WAS FROM NEWBURY REMEMBER HIM WELL, BUT CANT REMEMBER HIS NAME

WAZZ.

Social source share

The Bj Thomas record was I dont have a mind of my own, other plays that bring that time back to me were Hippo playing Whisky Talking.

Not having a car we used to have to get the bus from Glouester, then stop off at a pub out of town before running the gauntlett of 'the locals' to keep us amused remember receiving loads of bruises from the trolley races outside whilst waiting for the bingo crowd to disappear. Long waits in the morning at the baths getting clean before the dreary journey home....................

Anyone else remember the swinging place and wheelright, whitcombe lodge and the stroud all dayers ?

Oh to have Ian Clarke , dave thorley and some of the others back together again..............

EEEh wern't it great............ :yes:

Doris

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!