British bands in USA 1960s ripping off tunes

As a musicologist and arranger/performing artist myself (don't get too excited! Although to be fair I've made a pitiful living from music and am still active on the cabaret scene) I have incredible memory for musical notes and form and can spot where bands have garnered inspiration from other tunes easily. Actually if you're not into this kinda thing already then don't get into it, it can spoil things, only recently I spoiled my BiLs' grief over Princes' departure by introducing him to the music of Larry Graham, Sylvester Stewart etc.

So what's the betting that the Rolling Stones heard this one on their US tour in the 60s?

Social source share

5 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

no the brooks brothers copied satisfaction..the brooks brothers recorded 12 months after the stones

Now that IS fascinating, given the amount the stones did recycle that must've been a first for them, good on 'em, thanks for that input.

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
Social source share

Stuff like this is easy to check, given the amount of knowledge on here, Bobby Womack nicked the riff of Satisfaction for his "Nothing You Can Do" on HIM, no one seems to mind that? It's a simplistic assumption to state British groups ripped off tunes, there's more to it than that.

Edited by Tony Smith
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

54 minutes ago, Tony Smith said:

Stuff like this is easy to check, given the amount of knowledge on here, Bobby Womack nicked the riff of Satisfaction for his "Nothing You Can Do" on HIM, no one seems to mind that? It's a simplistic assumption to state British groups ripped off tunes, there's more to it than that.

Oh yeah I agree 100% it isn't always obvious who did what first but the connection is obvious, whole point of me starting this thread was to delve into this knowledge and see who has taken what from where. it's like the whole 'La Bamba' theme, many times I heard that in the soul genre, 'Twist and shout'... To get to the bottom of where what comes from where first is the whole point. Thanks for this input!

Social source share

Funnily enough, while interviewing Richard Brooks prior to our Soul Junction release of his "I'll Do Anything To Make You Happy". He mentioned that the UK pop band the Dave clark Five approached Eddie Thomas about them doing a cover version of The Brooks Brothers Thomas release "You Got Something Baby" but no DC5 version ever materialized.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

So what's the betting that the Rolling Stones heard this one on their US tour in the 60s?

Of all the tunes that the Stones covered/nicked riffs from/copied, which could have been used to demonstrate the influence Black American music had on them, you manage to find one that went the other way, well done lad :thumbsup:.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Rolling Stones claiming The Last Time to be their work but was basically ripping off the Staples Singers This May Be The Last Time, fortunately for the Stones the song went way back.   They still took songwriting credits, wonder if anything from the release made its way to the Staple Singers? Then when The Verve used the orchestral version by Andrew Loog Oldham on Bitter Sweet Symphony the Stones sued The Verve for ripping them off resulting in Jagger/Richards getting songwriting credits.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah funny about the record I chose being the exception to the rule!

I don't particularly see the whole plagiarism in music as a bad thing, it's always gone on, not only that but from a musicians' perspective it's very difficult to be innovative. It's only a form of recycling and as I pointed out in the 'who will replace us?' thread, a liking for a particular act that has been influenced by those who've gone before often leads to someone getting interested in the stuff that influenced them, like discovering Lou Reed cause of Bowie or discovering Soul through funk and hip-hop. Bands like the Stones and Zep turned many kids on to stuff like Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf. It's a circular, cyclic thing. More recently we've had acts like Amy Duffy who've redone Northern Soul to an extent and of course Amy Winehouse whose total obsession with the Ronettes and the Shangri-Las couldn't have been more obvious.

This thread wasn't really made to lambast the bands that have done this but more to try and dig up examples of it, especially if the records used have been relatively obscure stuff like rare soul/northern.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

On one of the forums a year or more ago somebody posted a Blues track that might have been called something like "I Don't Want To Go To Memphis."

Anyway Amy Winehouse's (I Don't Want To Go To) Rehab was an almost note for note copy.

I remember being really shocked when you think of all the plaudits that AW gets.

Sadly I have never been able to find it again since. The problem is I am probably searching on the wrong actual title of the track.

Can anyone help please - and put me out of my misery!!

Social source share

1 hour ago, MBarrett said:

On one of the forums a year or more ago somebody posted a Blues track that might have been called something like "I Don't Want To Go To Memphis."

Anyway Amy Winehouse's (I Don't Want To Go To) Rehab was an almost note for note copy.

I remember being really shocked when you think of all the plaudits that AW gets.

Sadly I have never been able to find it again since. The problem is I am probably searching on the wrong actual title of the track.

The only one I can think of us Bobby bare how I got to memphis but it's country sounding 

Social source share

2 hours ago, MBarrett said:

Do you mean 'Back to Memphis' by The Band? You can easy sing the 'Rehab' rap along to this but then you could to 99% of 1st-4th-5th sort of stuff.

Thanks for that input though it made me chuckle!

Social source share

On 16/10/2016 at 10:30, chalky said:

Rolling Stones claiming The Last Time to be their work but was basically ripping off the Staples Singers This May Be The Last Time, fortunately for the Stones the song went way back.   They still took songwriting credits, wonder if anything from the release made its way to the Staple Singers? Then when The Verve used the orchestral version by Andrew Loog Oldham on Bitter Sweet Symphony the Stones sued The Verve for ripping them off resulting in Jagger/Richards getting songwriting credits.

Unfortunately, because the Verve sampled Andrew Loog Oldham instrumental version and the publishing being owned by Allen Kliein, Jagger / Richard didn't get any royalties from that, swing and roundabouts?

Social source share

On 10/16/2016 at 01:05, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Oh yeah I agree 100% it isn't always obvious who did what first but the connection is obvious, whole point of me starting this thread was to delve into this knowledge and see who has taken what from where. it's like the whole 'La Bamba' theme, many times I heard that in the soul genre, 'Twist and shout'... To get to the bottom of where what comes from where first is the whole point. Thanks for this input!

going back a few posts and sort of related...

anyone recall the recent documentary on latin music and its influence on popular music  which used the 'satisfaction' riff as an example of how it {latin} influenced popular music

may be a bit scrambled but think thats what I saw via the trailer, anyone have the name/link of the documentary

Social source share

14 hours ago, mike said:

going back a few posts and sort of related...

anyone recall the recent documentary on latin music and its influence on popular music  which used the 'satisfaction' riff as an example of how it {latin} influenced popular music

may be a bit scrambled but think thats what I saw via the trailer, anyone have the name/link of the documentary

here's the bit that recalled

not exactly as i thought but still sort of related and may be of interest

the vid clip should start at 41min 41 secs automatically

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Mike, nice to make your (virtual) acquaintance and to engage in some intercourse with you! :ohmy: Thanks for this site!

Interesting vid and perspective, funny I've stated in another thread that I dislike any soul tune that is basically 'La Bamba' although I like the Richie Valens cut, bit of a paradox I know. Even more strange is I'm a huge fan of The Tomangoes and the Tempests, both of which are technically latin, to me they are far removed from a lot of the stuff we call Northern, still excellent dance records though in a Northern soul event context! Have been performing 'Daytripper' in clubs for most of my life (started at 14 semi-pro, 48 now) hadn't dawned on me the cha-cha-cha thing, same with 'Satisfaction' funnily never heard the latin influence in either cut, strange in the way that I have always played in bands for an old-tyme/ballroom crowd, nowadays it's all 'jitter-buggers'.

I must admit I do get on peoples' t**s with this subject, many times my 'mates' (use that term loosely) say 'ooh listen to this new song I've written' only for me to reply 'great, you've re-written Major Tom... or a Jerry Lee Lewis number' always seems to be one of those two! Mind you Jerry Lees' catalogue consists purely of re-writings of Huddy Leadbetters' 'Cotton fields'...Big subject this.

Best wishes, ta for the input!  :thumbsup:

ps: I never quote a post where there is an embed, it results in pages and pages of the same vid, gets on my nerves being in Cornwall where broadband speeds are often less than 1 meg! Here at SS there seems to be no mechanism for removing the embedded piece from the quote!

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
Added a ps.
Social source share

17 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Hi Mike, nice to make your (virtual) acquaintance and to engage in some intercourse with you! :ohmy: Thanks for this site!

Interesting vid and perspective, funny I've stated in another thread that I dislike any soul tune that is basically 'La Bamba' although I like the Richie Valens cut, bit of a paradox I know. Even more strange is I'm a huge fan of The Tomangoes and the Tempests, both of which are technically latin, to me they are far removed from a lot of the stuff we call Northern, still excellent dance records though in a Northern soul event context! Have been performing 'Daytripper' in clubs for most of my life (started at 14 semi-pro, 48 now) hadn't dawned on me the cha-cha-cha thing, same with 'Satisfaction' funnily never heard the latin influence in either cut, strange in the way that I have always played in bands for an old-tyme/ballroom crowd, nowadays it's all 'jitter-buggers'.

I must admit I do get on peoples' t**s with this subject, many times my 'mates' (use that term loosely) say 'ooh listen to this new song I've written' only for me to reply 'great, you've re-written Major Tom... or a Jerry Lee Lewis number' always seems to be one of those two! Mind you Jerry Lees' catalogue consists purely of re-writings of Huddy Leadbetters' 'Cotton fields'...Big subject this.

Best wishes, ta for the input!  :thumbsup:

ps: I never quote a post where there is an embed, it results in pages and pages of the same vid, gets on my nerves being in Cornwall where broadband speeds are often less than 1 meg! Here at SS there seems to be no mechanism for removing the embedded piece from the quote!

just a quick rushed reply

thanks for words on the site :thumbsup:

on the quoting 

its a bit awkward - depending on what you want to remove

press ctrl button and then with it still pressed right click the quote box or item and a popup menu will show

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

its a fact that all the british beat bands as they were starting out were heavily influenced by american r n b .... but once the beatles cracked america in 64 and other bands followed and pretty much gained their own identity..all the americans wanted to be the beatles so the favor was kinda returned

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!