Rodd Kieth

1 hour ago, stevemochan said:

Going through an old box of records i had in the garage and i came across Rodd Kieth " If You Dont Like It Dont Knock it" on Preview 1234.

It has the same backing as "Like The Lord Said"

Has anyone heard or know anything about this?

Thanks

Steve

Tim ash & myself found two rod keith records with the same backing track as 'like the lord said'  but not that title you mentioned. He must have had some faith in that backing track.  Guy certainly liked it!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Preview was a kind of vanity publishing set-up.  If you sent them a song you'd written (lyrics only) they'd record it and put it out for a fee.  As with many vanity publishing outfits, they weren't too fussed about their end of the bargain and just used the same few backing tracks for everything, which is why so many things sound like LTLS.  I always keep a bit of an eye out in case another one crops up, but often there's no sound file on the evilbay listing or it's one of the other standard tunes.  It would be interesting to find out just how many times the track got used and what the titles were.  You'll sometimes see the 'genre' for a Pre-Vue item listed as 'song poems', which I think is what Preview called the service they offered.  Interestingly, we compare the new ones we find to LTLS, but actually that's only because it's the one we stumbled across first.  We might equally well be sitting here today talking about a new version of "If You Don't Like It..." or "Gloria", called "Like The Lord said"...

All the best,

Nick

Edited by Driveller
Sorry - wrong 'Preview' ('Pre-Vue')first time around!
Social source share

Didn't we do a thread on here or the old soul talk where five or six different songs were known all of which used this one backing track. from memory there's one that's on an album? also one with the word ' Pig '  in the title.
I think his son contacted Dave Flynn after seeing the Stafford Story Goldmine CD which included 'Lord Said '. Wasn't it the case that Rod Keith committed suicide? possibly jumping from a bridge into traffic? or is that just me reliving a nightmare I had last week ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

42 minutes ago, purist said:

Didn't we do a thread on here or the old soul talk where five or six different songs were known all of which used this one backing track. from memory there's one that's on an album? also one with the word ' Pig '  in the title.
I think his son contacted Dave Flynn after seeing the Stafford Story Goldmine CD which included 'Lord Said '. Wasn't it the case that Rod Keith committed suicide? possibly jumping from a bridge into traffic? or is that just me reliving a nightmare I had last week ?

Social source share

From Wiki

In December 1974, by which time he had moved over to Maury S. Rosen's MSR Records, Keith met his death on the Hollywood Freeway in Los Angeles. According to an article in the Los Angeles Times(which ran on December 16, 1974) Keith was seen "leaping or falling from an overcrossing onto the Hollywood Freeway," and he "plunged down the Santa Monica Blvd. overpass onto the northbound freeway about 5:15 a.m. and drivers could not avoid him." It has been suggested that this was a suicidal act, but Keith's heavy drug use at this time has led others to claim it was an accident.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!