A Few More Rare Groove Wants

Here's another diamond track. A killer slice of 80s or maybe early 90s mid-tempo soul with awesome sax! This was sent to me from Florida by a contact who has now re-located to Canada and i have subsequently lost his contact info! :rolleyes:

I have the full track on the promo CD which is magic, but i've always wanted to know who it was. Curiosity!!

GOOD LUCK!

I also have a few more wants

June Evans - Hardly need to say 1981 (H&H Records)

Guarare - Semi-Suite 1979

Lil Albert - Movin' on LP

Thanks,

Al.

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 16
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mystery_Artist._Awesome_mid_tempo_80s_or_early_90s.mp3

Here's another diamond track. A killer slice of 80s or maybe early 90s mid-tempo soul with awesome sax! This was sent to me from Florida by a contact who has now re-located to Canada and i have subsequently lost his contact info! :rolleyes:

I have the full track on the promo CD which is magic, but i've always wanted to know who it was. Curiosity!!

GOOD LUCK!

Do you have anything to do with Mike Stephens and Dazz Bennett by any chance? :D

That was a track that Mike Stephens was playing on his show as a cover-up, I think as Bobby King, who is the featured vocalist on the track. I've got the CD but for the life of me I can't remember who it is (I'm at work so I can't look right now). From memory it's from 1995 and the artist who's album it is is female and she's either a harpist or a violinist. I'll check later for you.

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

Mystery_Artist._Awesome_mid_tempo_80s_or_early_90s.mp3

Here's another diamond track. A killer slice of 80s or maybe early 90s mid-tempo soul with awesome sax! This was sent to me from Florida by a contact who has now re-located to Canada and i have subsequently lost his contact info! ranting_1.gif

Hi

Rogers right

Its a track called "Something New" and its taken from Harpist Cindy Horstman's 1999 album Fretless on Chrystal Clear Sound..it was covered up and played as Broken Promises for a while .

Should be easy to locate on Amazon - nice tune ;-)

Hope this helps

Lin

Social source share

Hi

Rogers right

Its a track called "Something New" and its taken from Harpist Cindy Horstman's 1999 album Fretless on Chrystal Clear Sound..it was covered up and played as Broken Promises for a while .

Should be easy to locate on Amazon - nice tune ;-)

Hope this helps

Lin

Thanks Roger & Lin.

I always wanted to put a name to that track. I wondered if the vocalist was James King as i have something else by him and the voice is so similiar

I use to listen to Mike Stephens but i find he plays too much R n B crap nowadays (Rubbish & Bland....as i call it!). I also found he would all to often not name a great soul track on the odd occasion he would slip one in. (You know, the 'ole 2 tracks in a row trick and only naming the last track.... INFURIATING!!.) Sadly, over the years his show have sounded more and more like Bigger that annoying RnB DJ who thinks he's the Guru!

I use to listen to Mick Farrer on Solar Radio every friday at 10pm and occasionally i would set my video to record sky around 9pm if i happened to be going out for the night. Sadly, this would mean catching an hour of Biggers show. What utter rubbish! His show should be renamed the jingles show with RnB crap in the background. On one opccasion i counted 27 jingles in one 4 min track. It was hilarious! You could get your friends together and place bets on how many jingles he would throw over the next track. The closest wins the pot! An alternative to poker. It could take off on a grand scale and become the World Bigger Jingle Tour! ....haha!!!!

Real Soul DJ's seem to be fewer and farther between these days. Maybe someone can stir me in the right direction of some good soul shows on internet radio?

Anyway, thanks for info Roger and thanks to Lin for also confirming Roger was correct.

Al..

Social source share

Real Soul DJ's seem to be fewer and farther between these days. Maybe someone can stir me in the right direction of some good soul shows on internet radio?

Al, there's a DJ now on Solar who does the 10pm-Midnight slot every Friday night in the slot Mick Farrer used to do, I've heard he plays pretty good quality new (and always available) soul music . . . . can't remember his name off the top of my head though . . . :lol::D

I've PM'd you about that Robert Owens as well.

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

• 2 months later...

In my opinion it's nothing special so I'm amazed that anyone would go crazy about it and I'm even more amazed that anyone would cover it up.

But nothing much surprises me these days ...apart from surprises.

:rolleyes:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

On a more serious note, I think it's very SAD that a track from a currently-available CD album is "covered up" by a DJ who instead could have directed listeners to somewhere they could easily buy the album for $14.99

That would be doing something worthwhile for the artist and for the listeners.

For many artists the music industry is difficult enough already.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

On a more serious note, I think it's very SAD that a track from a currently-available CD album is "covered up" by a DJ who instead could have directed listeners to somewhere they could easily buy the album for $14.99

That would be doing something worthwhile for the artist and for the listeners.

For many artists the music industry is difficult enough already.

Paul Mooney

What if the artist is Cliff Richard,no chuff would want to know,surely :rolleyes: didnt he cover himself up a couple of years ago,bit of a underground white label hit,i think?,then went on tv and moaned about how he could sell his record with a bum name,and that no radio stations would plug his records,cause he wasnt cool enough,let djs do there stuff,as long as they own the record,i say...........and if it gives Cliff or Elvis or anybody credit they might deserve or not,good on em`,more fool us i would say.And who wants to buy a CD that might be full of crap.i know i cant listen to everything on every CD,by every artist,djs to break records need exclusive trakcs,or what would be the point,everybody will go there local disco,wouldnt they.

Edited by ken
Social source share

...let djs do there stuff,as long as they own the record,i say...

Hello Ken,

I think you've missed the point. This is about a DJ who needs to have something which other DJs and "ordinary people" can't have, even though every one of us could have bought a copy of this "exclusive" CD for $14.99 if only we had been told who the artist was.

But f*** the artist and f*** the common public. Surely the ego of one DJ is far more important than everything else.

How would he like it if a promoter booked him but kept him hidden behind a screen and didn't tell the public his name. Somehow I think he might be just a little bit pissed off ...and then he might understand how artists and record companies feel about this kind of thing.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hey Al,

I have June Evans records for sale in case you're interested!

Please check out...

www.myspace.com/juneevanssinger

Thanks,

Nick

E-mail- contact@9southproductions.com

Edited by NickinNJ
Social source share

NickinNJ said:
Hey Al,

I have June Evans records for sale in case you're interested!

Please check out...

www.myspace.com/juneevanssinger

Thanks,

Nick

E-mail- contact@9southproductions.com

May be a bit slow on the uptake mate, thread is over a year old etc...

Also welcome to Soul Source, if I could ask you to post an intro about yourself (as is expected) here h

I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Ian.

Social source share

Hello Ken,

I think you've missed the point. This is about a DJ who needs to have something which other DJs and "ordinary people" can't have, even though every one of us could have bought a copy of this "exclusive" CD for $14.99 if only we had been told who the artist was.

But f*** the artist and f*** the common public. Surely the ego of one DJ is far more important than everything else.

How would he like it if a promoter booked him but kept him hidden behind a screen and didn't tell the public his name. Somehow I think he might be just a little bit pissed off ...and then he might understand how artists and record companies feel about this kind of thing.

Err isn't this called being on Radio when you can't see the DJ.

What difference is one DJ gonna make on global sales.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

What relevance is the radio part to hiding someone's identity?? Surely radio is about highlighting the artists and their work, I think on global sales it could make 100% of a difference if noone can get a copy due to the hiding of the identity..

I love cover ups, they are a huge, important and fun part of the Northern scene, but for new releases its a complete insult to the artist and to people buying new music, where the motivation (as well as getting good music) has to be different. If you choose to play new music then surely part of the role has to be to publicise it, increase sales, and threfore the likelihood of more new music being played and, most importabntly, being released.

I don't get your argument at all.

Social source share