Steve S 60

Beer

76 posts in this topic

The number of "craft" beers now available on the supermarket shelves seems to increase every month.  I've always drunk bitter as opposed to lager, but if I'm honest I probably just used to drink for effect, as opposed to enjoying the taste.  However, some of the brews now available are very flavoursome, and I can really appreciate them for the taste.  A few years back I wouldn't have considered drinking beer at home, but now I always keep a well stocked shelf in the man cave.  Golden, amber, ruby red, dark and pale ales, stouts and porters, there's some nice beer out there.  Enjoying Wychwood brewery products at the moment.  Any current favourites out there?

20161128_224002.jpg

Just discovered M&S do a nice line in beers,a tad expensive as you would expect,current favourites include their Belgian Cherry Wheatbeer, Flat White Porter,coffee flavoured brewed by Adman's and their Double Hooped Citra IPA,   buy six get 25% discount but check first. Think I'm going to enjoy this thread.

WP_20161128_22_55_05_Pro.jpg

Edited by Twoshoes
spelling mistake

10 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

The number of "craft" beers now available on the supermarket shelves seems to increase every month.  I've always drunk bitter as opposed to lager, but if I'm honest I probably just used to drink for effect, as opposed to enjoying the taste.  However, some of the brews now available are very flavoursome, and I can really appreciate them for the taste.  A few years back I wouldn't have considered drinking beer at home, but now I always keep a well stocked shelf in the man cave.  Golden, amber, ruby red, dark and pale ales, stouts and porters, there's some nice beer out there.  Enjoying Wychwood brewery products at the moment.  Any current favourites out there?

20161128_224002.jpg

My favourite is getting pissed. I am not at all favourite with my GP. 

:shhh:

13 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

Just discovered M&S do a nice line in beers,a tad expensive as you would expect,current favourites include their Belgian Cherry Wheatbeer, Flat White Porter,coffee flavoured brewed by Adman's and their Double Hooped Citra IPA,   buy six get 25% discount but check first. Think I'm going to enjoy this thread.

Like the sound of those.  Adnam's Broadside is a nice strong ale, as the name suggests.  Anything made with citra hops is worth checking out, but more of a summer ale.  Oakham's Citra is a good example.  All the Christmas ales are starting to appear on the shelves now.

BBO - Belgian beer only, for me, Leffe is your entry level, work onto duval and chimay's and before you know it you'll be hunting down the mega rare westerleven ,voted best in world, better if you can age them for about 6 years first. It you can't locate then, rocfort 6 aged for 6 years will make a 2nd best.

8 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Like the sound of those.  Adnam's Broadside is a nice strong ale, as the name suggests.  Anything made with citra hops is worth checking out, but more of a summer ale.  Oakham's Citra is a good example.  All the Christmas ales are starting to appear on the shelves now.

I'll drink anything with Citra anytime, Sainsbury's do a nice one Caesar Augustus from a brewer in Scotland, Aberdeen I think though I could well be wrong. I think we have been spoiled regarding prices for bottled beers by the supermarkets and their with their 4 for six etc,plus places like Home Bargains and Lidl selling short date cheap bottles.

Worst shop ever opened in what is a relatively small place where I live :), The Beer House, in a shop smaller than my front room clever display has it packed with wonderful beers from around the world , prices seem a bit stiff compared to the aforementioned and before you know it you've gone though near twenty quid for five or six bottles,  Some real quality beers ,hopefully he will get enough custom to stay open ,I would guess his prices accurately reflect the true price rather than supermarkets cutting a deal. He has a bottle of American Craft Pale ale at £12 which you can leave to mature, not sure I'd pay that for a larger than normal bottle ,keep it for several years to find on opening you didn't like it, mind you could be an idea for a lads night in in the future, several bottles of expensive aged beers mmmmm might find some willing participants

Edited by Twoshoes
fat finger ,pressed submit before finished

2 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

I'll drink anything with Citra anytime, Sainsbury's do a nice one Caesar Augustus from a brewer in Scotland, Aberdeen I think though I could well be wrong. I think we have been spoiled regarding prices for bottled beers by the supermarkets and their with their 4 for six etc,plus places like Home Bargains and Lidl selling short date cheap bottles.

Worst shop ever opened in what is a relatively small place where I live :), The Beer House, in a shop smaller than my front room clever display has it packed with wonderful beers from around the world , prices seem a bit stiff compared to the aforementioned and before you know it you've gone though near twenty quid for five or six bottles,  Some real quality beers ,hopefully he will get enough custom to stay open ,I would guess his prices accurately reflect the true price rather than supermarkets cutting a deal. He has a bottle of American Craft Pale ale at £12 which you can leave to mature, not sure I'd pay that for a larger than normal bottle ,keep it for several years to find on opening you didn't like it, mind you could be an idea for a lads night in in the future, several bottles of expensive aged beers mmmmm might find some willing participants

There's a real ale bar in my town (Penrith) called the Moo Bar.  There was one in Carlisle but the landlord has just repossessed the premises due to unpaid rent.  I believe the guy who ran it is blaming his own ill health and the recent floods for its demise.  The Penrith bar is now under new management so will hopefully continue to trade.

penrith.png

One of my favourites is from Badger ales called Poachers Choice, more flavour than you can shake a stick at.

This rich, smooth brew has a softly spiced sweetness with dark liquorice notes and a fruity damson aroma. Poachers Choice is a gutsy ruby ale that is well matched with hearty game pie or a tangy mature cheese.

IMG_0107.PNG

lager....p*ss :rofl:

Bradfield brewery nr Sheffield two draught kegs fo £30 hold ten pints each :yes: holidays are comin holidays are comin :thumbup: 

DSC_0920.JPG

I would highly recommend The Loddon Brewery if you see it your pub or if not bottles are stocked in asda & tesco. good range of flavours & styles from low strength to high. 'Hocus Pocus' is a dark porter style which I would say goes well with a nice underplayed sixties record whilst the 'ferrymans gold' compliments a late seventies mid tempo............. 

thinking about it are there any soul events where you can actually get some decent draft ale ? 

2 hours ago, bbrich said:

I would highly recommend The Loddon Brewery if you see it your pub or if not bottles are stocked in asda & tesco. good range of flavours & styles from low strength to high. 'Hocus Pocus' is a dark porter style which I would say goes well with a nice underplayed sixties record whilst the 'ferrymans gold' compliments a late seventies mid tempo............. 

Loddon's Bamboozle sounds like the perfect accompaniment to crossover.

thinking about it are there any soul events where you can actually get some decent draft ale ? 

Sadly the now defunct Rammy CC used to have Wainrights and Moorhouses White Witch on plus the odd pump serving Deeply Vale brews,a small local micro brewery, if I remember right I think St Marks Clitheroe has cask on. Prestwich Masonic has cask as well, usually two different ales.

4 hours ago, chalky said:

One of my favourites is from Badger ales called Poachers Choice, more flavour than you can shake a stick at.

IMG_0107.PNG

lager....p*ss :rofl:

Badger, my favourite bottled ale selection, good call.

That would be a welcome addition to the events guide, a list of ales served along with the music policy.

30 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

That would be a welcome addition to the events guide, a list of ales served along with the music policy.

great idea, I would seek out the the OVRANO events to attend (original vinyl real ale no overplayed)....... 

Timothy Taylor Landlord the best beer in the world, and it's from Yorkshire as well. What more is there to say!!!!

Hiya, you should try the prince of Wales Sunday soul sessions. 9 hours of soul with guest dj's. Real ales, lagers, ciders, the next one on the 18 th dec with a little gin fest as well, cheers

Enjoying the pale ales/blonde ales.So easy drinking and flavoursome.Some favourites include these.

Oakhams  Inferno & Citra

Moorhouses      White witch

Wychwood       Doctor thirsty

Saltaires     blonde ale

Castle rock     Harvest pale

Jennings   cocker hoop

As others have said,some great variations of craft beer now available.

All I can say is thank God for CAMRA. They have saved us from the likes of Titbread Wankard, Worthington E, Watneys bleeding Red Barrel etc.

I joined CAMRA earlier this year - it's cheap and you get £20 of vouchers for Wetherspoons and I get 10% real ales at a few pubs in the area.

This has always amused me, think I may have got it off here at one time...

post-7917-0-41094100-1397665211[1].jpg

2 hours ago, JulianB said:

Timothy Taylor Landlord the best beer in the world, and it's from Yorkshire as well. What more is there to say!!!!

Lovely beer but I like Boltmaker just a little bit more.

There really is a tremendous choice available nowadays.

Current faves - Harviestoun Bitter n twisted, Theakstons XB, Dartmoor brewery Jail Ale, Badger Tangle Foot, Bath Ales Gem, Fullers London Pride, Ridleys Old Bob, Wadsworths 6X, Hook norton Old Hooky, Black sheep ale and keltek Magik. 

3 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Badger, my favourite bottled ale selection, good call.

Must admit i favour Badgers Golden Glory 

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

This has always amused me, think I may have got it off here at one time...

post-7917-0-41094100-1397665211[1].jpg

I think I posted it once after seeing it on one of Marston's trailers (they own or bottle Hobgobblin), tickled me when I saw it.

Edited by chalky

My faves bottled:

Hobsons Town Crier, Hobsons Twisted Spire, Bewdley Brewery Jubilee Ale,

On draught:

Enville Ale, Bathams bitter, Adnams Jester.

1 hour ago, westender said:

Lovely beer but I like Boltmaker just a little bit more.

There really is a tremendous choice available nowadays.

Current faves - Harviestoun Bitter n twisted, Theakstons XB, Dartmoor brewery Jail Ale, Badger Tangle Foot, Bath Ales Gem, Fullers London Pride, Ridleys Old Bob, Wadsworths 6X, Hook norton Old Hooky, Black sheep ale and keltek Magik. 

Had some Landlord and Boltmaker last Saturday night, both very nice, I agree with you, the Boltmaker just edged it for me. Still a big fan of Bass and Marston's Pedigree and used to love J.W. Lees.

Don't drink beer these days. Used to like Old Speckled Hen - the strong one not the weak one. 

11 hours ago, bbrich said:

if you get a pint at our club   (Harold soul club) down stairs you can get theakstons/black sheep etc    very nice

I've just got together with a couple of the lads at work and bought two mixed cases from a local Micro Brewery , we ended up with six bottles each after each putting in fifteen quid. I had not seen any of the beers we got on sale anywhere, we were promised the odd experimental brew. Anyone else have a small Micro set up near them that does anything similar they can recommend so we can broaden our horizons. I'll do a web search anyway but any recommendations welcome.

My first bottle last night Apple'y Ale, not good but that's the risk you take ,a kind of cross between  still cider and a flat beer ,half went down me the rest down the sink.

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

I've just got together with a couple of the lads at work and bought two mixed cases from a local Micro Brewery , we ended up with six bottles each after each putting in fifteen quid. I had not seen any of the beers we got on sale anywhere, we were promised the odd experimental brew. Anyone else have a small Micro set up near them that does anything similar they can recommend so we can broaden our horizons. I'll do a web search anyway but any recommendations welcome.

My first bottle last night Apple'y Ale, not good but that's the risk you take ,a kind of cross between  still cider and a flat beer ,half went down me the rest down the sink.

Check out this one.  Nice story behind it......

http://tirrilbrewery.uk

4 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

You could try this one https://loddonbrewery.com/  they sell on-line and you can get mixed cases to try their different beers. I definately recommend them.

local brewery in saltaire near Bradford  Award-winning Saltaire Brewery - one of the best small breweries in Yorkshire

Saltaire Brewery Tap & Shop

Brewery Tap

Brewery-tap-and-shop-150x150.jpgVisit our Brewery Tap on site where you can enjoy a range of Saltaire and guest beers between Tuesday and Sunday every week. Call in when you’re passing on the canal or as part of a real ale trail in the area – or join us for our monthly Beer Club!

Opening hours from Tuesday 2 August:

• 12 – 10pm Tuesday to Sunday

Tel: 01274 452098

On Beer Club Fridays, last orders in the Brewery Tap is at 4.15pm. If you wish to stay for Beer Club, tickets are £3 and available at the Bar. Anyone not staying is expected to leave by 4.30pm. Beer Club prices will apply on the bar from 4.30pm and the Brewery Tap and shop will be open until 10pm, for Beer Clubbers only.

Brewery Shop

We’ve also added to the beer range available in our Brewery shop, moved it and extended its opening times from 2 August 2016:

• 10am – 5.00pm Monday
  • 10am – 10pm Tuesday to Sunday

Fresh ale, direct from the Brewery to drink at home.

You can buy our cask ales in 5 and 20 litre (approx. 8 or 35 pints) containers, 1 litre growlers for keg beer, bottled beers and other gifts such as T-shirts and cycling shirts.

Cask Ales

Cask ales in 5 litre mini-kegs are available from the shop, but 20 litre containers must be pre-ordered Monday-Friday, at least 24 hours before collection. 5  litre mini-kegs can also be pre-ordered to make sure the beer you want is reserved.

We will try to offer a range of cask beers. Please call us on 01274 594959 to pre-order and to check what cask beers are available and prices.

The beer is un-pasteurised, not filtered and has no preservatives. It’s the same beer we send to pubs and, as it’s direct from the brewery, it’s as fresh as you can get.

Bottled beers and gift packs

You can also buy our range of 500ml bottled beers, either individual bottles, cases of 8x500ml bottles or bespoke 3 bottle and 6 bottle gift packs – mix them up to introduce friends and family to new beers or just give them a few of their favourites.

Bottled beer up to 5% abv above 5% abv
Single bottles 500ml
Cases 8x500ml
£1.70
£13
£1.75
£14

SaltaireXS beers  Single 330ml bottle 12 x 330ml case
SaltaireXS Imperial Stout 8.9%
SaltaireXS Imperial IPA 9.5%
£2.53
£2.74
£29
£32

Gift packs  
3 x 500ml bottle/2 x 500ml bottle and a glass gift £6.50
6 x 500ml bottle/5 x 500ml bottle and a glass gift pack £13

Other gifts such as Brewery T-shirts, cycling shirts and glasses will be available.

If you need any advice about buying party beer and to pre-order, please give us a call on 01274 594959 rather than email as we’d much rather have a chat and make sure you get what you want.

If you aren’t lucky enough to live close enough to the Brewery to pop in to our shop, or want to send Saltaire beers to someone else, try buying online where our bottled beers are available for delivery to your door.

Latest Tweets      

News archive

News archive Select MonthDecember 2016  (1)November 2016  (1)October 2016  (2)September 2016  (1)August 2016  (3)June 2016  (2)May 2016  (3)April 2016  (3)March 2016  (2)February 2016  (2)January 2016  (1)December 2015  (2)November 2015  (2)October 2015  (2)September 2015  (2)August 2015  (2)July 2015  (1)June 2015  (3)May 2015  (2)April 2015  (1)March 2015  (2)February 2015  (3)January 2015  (1)December 2014  (3)November 2014  (3)September 2014  (4)August 2014  (2)July 2014  (3)June 2014  (5)April 2014  (3)March 2014  (4)February 2014  (3)January 2014  (3)December 2013  (2)November 2013  (4)October 2013  (5)September 2013  (4)August 2013  (2)July 2013  (4)June 2013  (2)May 2013  (4)April 2013  (3)March 2013  (2)February 2013  (4)January 2013  (3)December 2012  (3)November 2012  (3)October 2012  (1)September 2012  (7)August 2012  (1)July 2012  (2)June 2012  (6)May 2012  (2)April 2012  (1)March 2012  (4)February 2012  (1)

© 2016 Saltaire brewery

A WEBSITE MANAGED BY Your Story

Bit gutted this evening to read on twitter that my local Titanic Brewery has sold out of Plum Porter Grand Reserve as I'd intended to buy a case in the morning.:(

Going on line later today to order a couple of cases of Windermere Pale Ale from The Hawkshead Brewery in Staveley, nectar from the gods, if you are ever over the Lake District, pop in and have a couple in their Beer Hall, you won't be disappointed

Kev

I live 200 yards from Moorhouses brewery in Burnley. I can often smell the brewery as I take the dog out. Burnley is seeing an explosion of real ales in most of the pubs and you can have a cracking real ale pub crawl in the town centre. Avoid the night club style bars though.

I will be in the Bridge Bier Haus after today's match, drinking Moorhouses Premiership at £2 a pint , with 4 other guests beers at £2.50 a pint.

Then onto any number of other pubs most with at least 3 cask ales.

Burnley. ...the home of northern soul and real ale!

13 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I live 200 yards from Moorhouses brewery in Burnley. I can often smell the brewery as I take the dog out. Burnley is seeing an explosion of real ales in most of the pubs and you can have a cracking real ale pub crawl in the town centre. Avoid the night club style bars though.

I will be in the Bridge Bier Haus after today's match, drinking Moorhouses Premiership at £2 a pint , with 4 other guests beers at £2.50 a pint.

Then onto any number of other pubs most with at least 3 cask ales.

Burnley. ...the home of northern soul and real ale!

There's a micro brewer on the small industrial estate where I work, as I work outside as often as possible concentration levels can drop when that lovely smell wafts in the air. Moorhouses, the Witch trilogy have given  me much pleasure over the years. Black Cat used to be a a decent pint in the Craven Hieffer between Rawtenstall and Crawshabooth. 

7 hours ago, kev cane said:

Going on line later today to order a couple of cases of Windermere Pale Ale from The Hawkshead Brewery in Staveley, nectar from the gods, if you are ever over the Lake District, pop in and have a couple in their Beer Hall, you won't be disappointed

Kev

Been there lots of time, Kev, after a breakfast at Wilf's. Probably the Gold is my preferred one from their range.

Talking of the Lakes, my favourite ever beer is Bluebird brewed by Coniston Brewing Co and named naturally after Donald Campbell's craft.

Three tons pub in bishops castle. Shropshire. has its own brewery on the premises. Also available bottled. Won all sorts of award's for all you sludge drinkers

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul

10 minutes ago, Jaco said:

Been there lots of time, Kev, after a breakfast at Wilf's. Probably the Gold is my preferred one from their range.

Talking of the Lakes, my favourite ever beer is Bluebird brewed by Coniston Brewing Co and named naturally after Donald Campbell's craft.

Hi Mike

Yeah, I like the Gold, but my absolute fave is the Windermere, only about 3.8% but tastes hoppy and stronger, prefer the lighter more citrus stuff, Bluebird, oh yes, another beauty, Yates, another. Next time you over there Mike, pop in the Golden Rule at Ambleside, Robinsons, the Dizzy Blonde another nice one and a good selection if you prefer the darker stuff

Kev

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:30, baz1 said:

Bradfield brewery nr Sheffield two draught kegs fo £30 hold ten pints each :yes: holidays are comin holidays are comin :thumbup: 

That Blueberry looks interesting, I think they sell one in Morrisons might be from Prince Charles Duchy if memory serves me right

24 minutes ago, kev cane said:

Hi Mike

Yeah, I like the Gold, but my absolute fave is the Windermere, only about 3.8% but tastes hoppy and stronger, prefer the lighter more citrus stuff, Bluebird, oh yes, another beauty, Yates, another. Next time you over there Mike, pop in the Golden Rule at Ambleside, Robinsons, the Dizzy Blonde another nice one and a good selection if you prefer the darker stuff

Kev

Have you ever been to the Watermill at Ings, Kev? Usually have 10 to 12 beers on. Fantastic place with the Lake's brewers well represented. Been in the Golden Rule but many years ago. I'm with you on the lighter stuff.

Just now, Jaco said:

Have you ever been to the Watermill at Ings, Kev? Usually have 10 to 12 beers on. Fantastic place with the Lake's brewers well represented. Been in the Golden Rule but many years ago. I'm with you on the lighter stuff.

Ey up Mike

Where is Ings, I am over there regular but not familiar with Ings, 12 beers, I gotta go there

Kev

44 minutes ago, kev cane said:

Hi Mike

Kev

Best thing about walking in the Lakes is the pub afterwards, some great ales.

Just now, chalky said:

Best thing about walking in the Lakes is the pub afterwards, some great ales.

Without a pub at the end there is no walk Chalkster:D was over a few weeks ago doing some of the Coledale round, you get to a point and you can see the pub (Swinside Arms) when some of the lads were struggling I just pointed to the whitewashed speck in the distance, motivation enough

Kev

30 minutes ago, kev cane said:

Ey up Mike

Where is Ings, I am over there regular but not familiar with Ings, 12 beers, I gotta go there

Kev

Its on the A591 so you drive past Staveley before you get to Ings. Ings is only about a mile from Windermere.

Just now, Jaco said:

Its on the A591 so you drive past Staveley before you get to Ings. Ings is only about a mile from Windermere.

Cheers Mike, I am in Winster near Bowness for a week from January 2nd, will organise a walk out that way (taxi return:thumbsup:)

Kev

8 minutes ago, kev cane said:

Cheers Mike, I am in Winster near Bowness for a week from January 2nd, will organise a walk out that way (taxi return:thumbsup:)

Kev

Nice pub in Winster - Brown Horse. You may know it.

Just now, Jaco said:

Nice pub in Winster - Brown Horse. You may know it.

On the money Mike, we are staying at one of their cottages 2 minutes away from the pub, did you try their Hurdler which is brewed next door in their own brewery ?

Kev

Just now, kev cane said:

On the money Mike, we are staying at one of their cottages 2 minutes away from the pub, did you try their Hurdler which is brewed next door in their own brewery ?

Kev

Probably about 6 years since I was in there, Kev, so can't recall what I had. Lake District is easily my favourite place in the UK.

Was up there a couple of weeks ago and had a drink in the Drunken Duck, another pub with it's own brewery, and then ate at the Punch Bowl in Crossthwaite

Just now, Jaco said:

Probably about 6 years since I was in there, Kev, so can't recall what I had. Lake District is easily my favourite place in the UK.

Was up there a couple of weeks ago and had a drink in the Drunken Duck, another pub with it's own brewery, and then ate at the Punch Bowl in Crossthwaite

Drunken Duck, near Ambleside, am saving up my pocket money for that one Mike, Lakes is my favourite place on earth:hatsoff2:

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Related Soul Music Links