News: New Record Boxes From Jazzman Records

Mike

These certainly look great and would be ace for home use but i'd wouldn't use anything apart from an ugly heavy duty flight case for travelling. Saved my bacon tons of times from spilt drinks, bangs, knocks etc. Plus the foam inside etc is also great protection.

I'd have one of these to be flash going round a pal's house though.

Social source share

"No cheap plastic or flimsy cardboard either!"

From the pictures they look to have a plastic / thin vinyl finish ?

These are the ultimate wooden cases for all serious 7" record collectors. 

"Ultimate"? They look pretty thin, anybody wanting the ultimate wooden case you need to contact Nick Brown

Social source share

10 hours ago, SHSDave said:

"No cheap plastic or flimsy cardboard either!"

From the pictures they look to have a plastic / thin vinyl finish ?

These are the ultimate wooden cases for all serious 7" record collectors. 

"Ultimate"? They look pretty thin, anybody wanting the ultimate wooden case you need to contact Nick Brown

Its croc skin innit

Social source share

29 minutes ago, Rip1Bill said:

They look lovely & are well presented. However with the price of vinyl today, would have thought that a lock of some sort would be appropriate...or is safety not an issue? 

You wouldnt leave a few grand lying around in a club or bar unattended so why do it with tunes.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Jazzman Gerald said:

Quality doesn't come cheap :thumbsup:

Nick Browns are quality there's no denying it, and they cost 2 or 3 times as much as mine :thumbsup: but they're with an all wood finish, unlike the ones we have which are have a more authentic 1960s/70s feel due to the covering. And the covering is not cheapo sticky back plastic - it cost £30 a metre and is usually used to cover furniture and kitchens etc. 

There's nothing else like em on the market!

These look very decent but have you any plans to sort a decent bag for 7s?

Sadly lacking imho

Social source share

I have refurbished and sold more than a few of the genuine 60's/70's record boxes that this design is based on. Some were wooden and some were simply vinyl covered card. None of them were covered in expensive furniture coverings but all were undamaged after 50+ years of use and the most I sold them for was £25 though I'm aware that they can go for a little more.

Finding a lockable model with a key was always a bonus - not because that is an adequate anti-theft device, but because it negates the likelihood of unwanted browsing and even accidental opening whilst carrying.

The locks on the new boxes appear to be fitted upside down. Every single box (both old and new) that I have seen previously that has this type of catch opens by releasing from below. The jazzman boxes open by releasing from above, or from the top of the catch, which makes accidental opening much more likely - particularly once the catches become well worn as the release tab will fall away from the body of the case. Fitted the other (usual) way up this is much less likely to occur.

It is/was usual for a covering to be applied to the inside of box lids. This would protect the contents from the 4 metal rivets that secure the handle brackets to the lid. Having had some of my paper sleeves damaged by exposed rivets, I used to ensure a covering was re-applied if missing. The rivets are exposed on these jazzman boxes.

Have a look at the photos if you're uncertain what I'm talking about, then decide for yourself if these are 'ultimate' and warrant such a hefty price tag.

btw I no longer refurbish and sell old models obtained from boot fairs and record shops.

:hatsoff2:- Kev.

Edited by KevinKent
Tidy up
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

JNixon - we did some bags a few years ago but the suppliers have discontinued them. Stones Throw have done one - if you have $325 + post to spare. And you thought my boxes were expensive :thumbsup:

KevinKent I can assure you the locks are not upside down and they won't accidentally flip open. Also, the rivets are not exposed because the interior is fully lined with felt. There is no bare wood - or rivets for that matter - exposed at all. I hope that clarifies matters :)

Social source share

1 hour ago, Jazzman Gerald said:

KevinKent I can assure you the locks are not upside down and they won't accidentally flip open. Also, the rivets are not exposed because the interior is fully lined with felt. There is no bare wood - or rivets for that matter - exposed at all. I hope that clarifies matters :)

:no:

If you view the full article and look at your own photo's, on the inside lid of the open black box containing the white record sleeves, four exposed rivets can clearly be seen.

On all of the boxes, and this is particularly clear on your website photos, the orientation of the catch mechanism is the opposite to every other box I have seen with this type of catch. A simple search will illustrate this. I'm not saying they will open of their own accord but by opening with a downward motion they are more prone to being knocked or having pressure applied that may open them accidentally.

:hatsoff2:- Kev

Social source share

On 12/11/2016 at 20:52, Jazzman Gerald said:

JNixon - we did some bags a few years ago but the suppliers have discontinued them. Stones Throw have done one - if you have $325 + post to spare. And you thought my boxes were expensive :thumbsup:

ok for their price if they are worth it.  Original Peters are the closest ive got to perfection but they dont zip up

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!