Strange record dealer Truro bizarre

My lass and I doing some post-xmas shopping in Truro (the city for us). We're walking through the Market arcade and we see a new record shop/stall we haven't seen before. My lass groans as she hates it when we start rooting through boxes of vinyl. So I ask the guy if he has any of the Shangri-Las and Ritchie Valens 45s I'm currently after, he doesn't know as the records aren't catalogued. OK so I mention Northern Soul, yes the Northern soul is over there in the box labelled 'Northern soul'...OK.

We have a look through and although there's no biggies, there's plenty of stuff we don't know, the prices clearly 'book' vary between 2.99 and 14.99 so I pick out a couple, a Dobie Gray I didn't know and a Lou Rawls I didn't know, that's £6 ish but I was carrying a few hundred as I usually do in case I need to leave a deposit on a vehicle or whatever, if these 45s were to our taste he might've sold us a lot more stuff, however I didn't really recognise any of the stuff he had so approach the counter, 'Will you spin us a few seconds of each of these pal?' The turntable is going round spinning some 80's album I didn't recognise. He replies 'No mate' I'm like 'Eh?'... 'Nah mate I don't play records for people otherwise I'd be all day playing records for people!'

So I'm clearly shocked and say 'Oh Ok I'll stick these back then'...

Now if I had record shop and somebody comes in talking about rare stuff and especially NS I'd go into full-on selling mode as a soul collector could potentially get very fired up by some decent sounds especially unknown to him stuff, as I say I was holding a considerable wedge, I doubt I'd have left it at £6 if I was digging out 45s that I liked on first listen, not only that but like all of us I can tell in a matter of maybe 20 seconds play whether a 45 hits my NS spot.

So he missed out on a potentially good sales day, plus won't be visiting him again.

'I'd be playing records all day for people' Yeah that's right, that's been my experience every time I've ever visited a record shop! Just didn't get it!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

My lass and I doing some post-xmas shopping in Truro (the city for us). We're walking through the Market arcade and we see a new record shop/stall we haven't seen before. My lass groans as she hates it when we start rooting through boxes of vinyl. So I ask the guy if he has any of the Shangri-Las and Ritchie Valens 45s I'm currently after, he doesn't know as the records aren't catalogued. OK so I mention Northern Soul, yes the Northern soul is over there in the box labelled 'Northern soul'...OK.

We have a look through and although there's no biggies, there's plenty of stuff we don't know, the prices clearly 'book' vary between 2.99 and 14.99 so I pick out a couple, a Dobie Gray I didn't know and a Lou Rawls I didn't know, that's £6 ish but I was carrying a few hundred as I usually do in case I need to leave a deposit on a vehicle or whatever, if these 45s were to our taste he might've sold us a lot more stuff, however I didn't really recognise any of the stuff he had so approach the counter, 'Will you spin us a few seconds of each of these pal?' The turntable is going round spinning some 80's album I didn't recognise. He replies 'No mate' I'm like 'Eh?'... 'Nah mate I don't play records for people otherwise I'd be all day playing records for people!'

So I'm clearly shocked and say 'Oh Ok I'll stick these back then'...

Now if I had record shop and somebody comes in talking about rare stuff and especially NS I'd go into full-on selling mode as a soul collector could potentially get very fired up by some decent sounds especially unknown to him stuff, as I say I was holding a considerable wedge, I doubt I'd have left it at £6 if I was digging out 45s that I liked on first listen, not only that but like all of us I can tell in a matter of maybe 20 seconds play whether a 45 hits my NS spot.

So he missed out on a potentially good sales day, plus won't be visiting him again.

'I'd be playing records all day for people' Yeah that's right, that's been my experience every time I've ever visited a record shop! Just didn't get it!

What a dickhead. Why go into business to sell rare records and deny potential customers the opportunity to buy? Most decent dealers these days have a deck to sample unknown tracks but there are still a few without - these do not last long in the trade.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!