Russell Gilbert

Show us your great photos (2017)

561 posts in this topic

Hair do is lookin good :D 

IMG_20170424_130357.jpg

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flamingemeralds said:

Is the first bird a peregrine or a sparrowhawk? Or neither? I don't know how you manage to get such spectacular photographs.

As the lads have said, it is a Buzzard ... getting decent shots is just getting the basics right, and years of practice.

Best advice to anyone taking a photograph of almost anything is to make sure the sun is behind you, ideally with the light coming over one shoulder onto the subject.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TattooDave said:

Well done Peter, it is indeed Buteo buteo.  Saw one last night being mobbed by a pair of kestrels, no camera with me of course.

Dave you have jogged my old memory with that comment, apparently the football game Subbuteo is named after the Hobby ( Falco Subbuteo ).

The chap who invented the game wanted to call it " hobby for boys " but the maufacturers thought it a boring name so he came up with Subbuteo...

That's the story I was told :huh:

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Widnes63 said:

Dave you have jogged my old memory with that comment, apparently the football game Subbuteo is named after the Hobby ( Falco Subbuteo ).

The chap who invented the game wanted to call it " hobby for boys " but the maufacturers thought it a boring name so he came up with Subbuteo...

That's the story I was told :huh:

Peter Adolph just wanted to call it "Hobby", but wasn't given a patent on that name, as you can imagine that would have opened up a real can of worms (still available in Poundland), so came up with "Subbuteo" as you said. 

Buteo buteo is one of the three neo-Latin bird names I can remember, the other two being Perdix perdix, the Partridge, I used to know a Mr. Partridge and he owned his own printing company called the Perdix Press, and the ever so unlikely Troglodytes troglodytes which is the Wren.  No prize for figuring out why I can remember these three.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

Peter Adolph just wanted to call it "Hobby", but wasn't given a patent on that name, as you can imagine that would have opened up a real can of worms (still available in Poundland), so came up with "Subbuteo" as you said. 

Buteo buteo is one of the three neo-Latin bird names I can remember, the other two being Perdix perdix, the Partridge, I used to know a Mr. Partridge and he owned his own printing company called the Perdix Press, and the ever so unlikely Troglodytes troglodytes which is the Wren.  No prize for figuring out why I can remember these three.

Dave. The only one I can remember is Tyto Alba. Barn Owl

Steve

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. The only one I can remember is Tyto Alba. Barn Owl

Steve

That's one I should remember, I used to breed them for release.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

That's one I should remember, I used to breed them for release.

WOW. What a privilege that must have been

Steve

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

WOW. What a privilege that must have been

Steve

I had a 1200 egg incubator running constantly, hatching every egg that was offered, had all sorts in there, macaws, gyr falcons, ducks, turkeys, chickens, goshawks, you name it I tried to hatch them out.  Mostly from captive bred birds, but not always.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What lens are you guys using or recommend for wildlife?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chalky said:

What lens are you guys using or recommend for wildlife?

Chalky. I'm using a Canon 500mm f4 is usm mk2. and a Canon 70-200 f2.8 is usm mk2 . They are both amazing lenses. Perfect for both  Bird and wildlife photography.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, chalky said:

What lens are you guys using or recommend for wildlife?

500mm f4 here as well Chalky, you would get away with a 300 f4 on a crop sensor body at a pinch, depends how close you can get.

There are also 3rd party zoom lenses available, quality drops a touch but they are a lot cheaper.

Plenty of 2nd hand lenses out there as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Sign up to Soul Source now.. Free & easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

Related Soul Music Links