Brad Lundy: (I'm at the) Breaking Point

Tolbert

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

FANTASTIC RECORD originally hailed from NY I'd believe and very likely from 1969 that totally steals without any acknowledgement (compare all credits !!!) Deena Johnson's 1965 original version. The Julmar pressings I'd believe was Brad's first as it sounds as a Big City Sound and would then have been pressed there first. Hence the Julmar co-production ! Or less likely second if we could imagine the red Lundy label to have been a "novelty" record order produced in NY with Brad's big money and Kenny Ballard's arranger services to be pressed in the Bahamas in small numbers... then picked up by a NY  label with better promotional capacities... It could be but mmh...

So I'd say that both Lundy pressings where most likely later presses made in the Bahamas where Brad apparently moved and took the tapes with him. It's very hard to know exactly the what, when and the whole who's who story on the record here, but when even the copyrights changes on the 3 Brad Lundy releases... a problem into the copyright ownership and the sudden credential involvement of Kenny Ballard on the Lundy presses leads us to understand that some people might have felt left out and decided to try and cash back on it on their own... a record with bigger success potential than it had it's share off for sure...

Capture d’écran 2017-01-07 à 21.46.59.png Capture d’écran 2017-01-07 à 21.44.57.pngCapture d’écran 2017-01-07 à 21.45.37.pngCapture d’écran 2017-01-07 à 21.45.24.png

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

On 8 janvier 2017 at 02:29, markw said:

Is there a soundfile of it anywhere?

They are the same take on "breaking point" on the Jumlar and the red Lundy (been told blue is a later re-recording) but indeed the mastering might change the sound. I don't have the 3 copies so I can't help you much there but there's a clip on youtube with the red Lundy if the guy has lift it from that very record. It's seems to be a tad less muffled than the Julmar one with the voice clearer and the guitar sharper but then with less bass presence (drums, horns...).

The Julmar vinyl quality (like many small NY pressings) is poor like thick'n'bubbly hiSHHHHing ! all the way through kinda sound and "spits" a lot even when mint.

Here's my home made soundclip taken from the Julmar copy: brad lundy.mp3

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, tlscapital said:

They are the same take on "breaking point" but indeed the mastering might change the sound. I don't have the 3 copies so I can't help you much there but there's a clip on youtube with the red Lundy if the guy has lift it from that very record. It's seems to be a tad less muffled than the Julmar one with the voice clearer and the guitar sharper but then with less bass presence (drums, horns...).

The Fulmar vinyl quality (like many small NY pressings) is poor like thick'n'bubbly hiSHHHHing ! all the way through kinda sound and "spits" a lot even when mint.

Here's my home made soundclip taken from the Julmar copy: brad lundy.mp3

The light blue Lundy is a totally different take to the out and out 60s one. It sounds like early 70s.

Social source share