Venus

Toni Basil - Breakaway (Video)

26 posts in this topic

I couldn't embed the link into the video section so for those of you who haven't seen this video? here is the link

https://vk.com/video10951839_161908231

I'm sure there are plenty of keen gardeners on here who would be willing to prune that bush? :thumbsup::rofl: ps please don't watch if offended by nudity in the clip.

Edited by Venus

what's the score, is it the same Toni Basil as in "oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind!"  Massive gap betweeen the 60's and the 80's?

30 minutes ago, billb said:

what's the score, is it the same Toni Basil as in "oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind!"  Massive gap betweeen the 60's and the 80's?

Hi Bill...same person :)

heard that at the time but I'm still not 100%, a bit like god, I don't want to believe, I want the proof. (not that I'm saying you're wrong)

9 minutes ago, billb said:

heard that at the time but I'm still not 100%, a bit like god, I don't want to believe, I want the proof. (not that I'm saying you're wrong)

Definitely same person. She's been an actor, singer, entertainer for years. 

massive gap between the two records, 20 years(ish) Sad to think, Mickey must have been the big earner for her?

Even today she is a superb dancer and judges Locking competitions around the world. Before anything, she's a dancer. She was an original Locker and part of the Soul Train Lockers. That alone is legendary status. She can move and in her 70s is as funky as any youngster on the floor. She's an original.

Here she is during last year's Judges showcase.

Edited by JJ Lopez from TX

3 hours ago, billb said:

massive gap between the two records, 20 years(ish) Sad to think, Mickey must have been the big earner for her?

I'm not sure. I can ask her. But from what I've learned, I think its safe to say that it was. She has always been a Choreographer. Even worked with James Brown!

She is on the new David Bowie documentaries being shown on BBC and looks in excellent health, much younger than her years and very stylish. 

FFS she's in Easyrider - you can clearly see it's the same person!

PS She's most famous for being a Cheerleader choreographer - hence the Mickey video content.

Edited by DaveNPete

She got her break in Viva Las Vegas with Elvis in 1964.  She was "the girl with the red dress on", and also assistant choreographer.

Yes, same girl. Class performer and doesn`t she look great?

Pity about the song though.......truly dreadful!

I put this video on YouTube some years ago. The next morning her lawyers were onto YouTube  threatening legal action. 

Edited by chalky

Tony Basil at her dancing peak as part of The Lockers on Soul Train.

40 minutes ago, chalky said:

I put this video on YouTube some years ago. The next morning her lawyers were onto YouTube  threatening legal action. 

tonis legal team dont beat around the bush

6 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Pity about the song though.......truly dreadful!

I think you're right,.  Not the worlds best singer, but a BIG record on the scene.

7 minutes ago, IanP said:

I think you're right,.  Not the worlds best singer, but a BIG record on the scene.

Breakaway is a fantastic dance track. It's got it all. 

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 16:38, Venus said:

I couldn't embed the link into the video section so for those of you who haven't seen this video? here is the link

https://vk.com/video10951839_161908231

I'm sure there are plenty of keen gardeners on here who would be willing to prune that bush? :thumbsup::rofl: ps please don't watch if offended by nudity in the clip.

Venus. Thanks for posting. Great tune from my misspent youth. Regardless of what the soul police will say. So many happy memories.

PS I love gardening

Steve. X

Dunno about bush,   Reminded me of a grenadier guards Busby........

14 hours ago, IanP said:

I agree..........like a lot of top NS tunes it`s a dancefloor filler with the perfect beat but if you really listen to it it`s obvious why it bombed at  the time. It`s pretty dreadful. 

Here's the "making of" video.  Dennis Hopper narrates and both he and fellow actor Dean Stockwell were there during the recording.

Cheers
Mick

I've just realised why I kept thinking of Austin Powers:huh:

Image result for austin powers chest hair I

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Related Soul Music Links