Lorenzo Manley Swoop down on you

I know nothing !!

But... I remember in the 70's being told that some of the Black Issues were "re-issues" and some were "proper". This may have been assumed as there were always copies about. Anyhow, on that basis, I got a demo (which I think looks better anyway).

I've just checked the JM site and he has one for sale with the comments..

Genuine authentic 1966 stamped matrix, thin vinyl first press - of this Golden Torch Northern Soul anthem - classic early 70s spin - repeat .this copy is the genuine original press!

So, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

KB

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A record that ,whilst not the greatest, is one with special memories. I first came across it as a reader's tip in Dave Godin's column in Blues and Soul and thought with a artist and title like that it's got to be something special. The reader was, I'm fairly sure, our own Julian Bentley (JulianB on here) who I met some months later who, guess what, had copies for sale.:wink:.

I can't remember it being bootlegged in the 70s as it was not a title with a big enough demand. The usual dealers such as Selectadisc didn't have it . From my time at Global Records in the late 70s I seemed to get the impression that Original Sound was a label that was still active and maintained stock for many years after first release. They also ran an Oldies series for the early rock n roll hits which were available from them direct or through regional distributors. It's possible that the record was popular in one of the various regional music scenes in the US and was pressed at different plants , which accounts for different deadwax details .

Rick

Social source share

I have seen two different DEMOs so no doubt different pressing plants used.

The one on 45cat with PLUG SIDE on the "TO PROVE MY LOVE " side.

However, mostly like my copy.

Both of my copies DEMO and Stock Copy have Identical Stamped Matrix.

OR-123                               and                              OR-124

with an "H"  Stamp opposite.

ORIGINAL_SOUND_OS-60-A_DJ.jpgORIGINAL_SOUND_OS-60-B_DJ.jpg

ORIGINAL_SOUND_OS-60-A.jpgORIGINAL_SOUND_OS-60-B.jpg

Social source share

13 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

A record that ,whilst not the greatest, is one with special memories. I first came across it as a reader's tip in Dave Godin's column in Blues and Soul and thought with a artist and title like that it's got to be something special. The reader was, I'm fairly sure, our own Julian Bentley (JulianB on here) who I met some months later who, guess what, had copies for sale.:wink:.

I can't remember it being bootlegged in the 70s as it was not a title with a big enough demand. The usual dealers such as Selectadisc didn't have it . From my time at Global Records in the late 70s I seemed to get the impression that Original Sound was a label that was still active and maintained stock for many years after first release. They also ran an Oldies series for the early rock n roll hits which were available from them direct or through regional distributors. It's possible that the record was popular in one of the various regional music scenes in the US and was pressed at different plants , which accounts for different deadwax details .

Rick

Hi Rick

Yes, you are correct. I managed to pick up the last 50 copies direct from Original Sound for 10cents each ( or was it 5 cents?). Anyway, knocked 'em out at the Torch etc for £2.50 a go. Happy Days:thumbup:

Social source share

The connection between the Eddie Carlton Philly cut & the Lorenzo Manley LA track was (Eu)Gene Dozier ... Gene writing the songs under his alter ego 'Detroit' name Billy Jackson .... the Eddie Carlton recorded version wasn't actually finished till after Gene moved from Philly to Detroit ... The Lorenzo Manley version was cut after he relocated again (from Detroit to LA) ... just for the record, the Original Sound cut doesn't actually feature Lorenzo at all.

Gene & his partners only had enough cash to fund a studio session for one track on Lorenzo, that being "To Prove My Love" -- the A side of the OS 45 ...  ... . . . . . . when OS wanted to license that track, Gene coupled it with a demo track he'd voiced himself  -- "Swoop Down On You".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!