jimmy and the sundials - tell me where did i lose you-V-Tone

Floyd

Not seen this title crop up in a while! Only exists as a vtone test press,I had it from jm's,and I traded it to Marc Forrest of Germany,maybe he still has it,send him a pm on here?

i believe only 3 copies exist,the other 2 reside with doowop collectors for the b-side!

shame it was never issued!

Social source share

Hi

i had a white test press to (bellsound stamped) in the 80s of steve smith

then sold it to martin koppell  (wish i hadnt) it is very rare but there are more than 3 copies knocking about

big among doo wop collectors as you said ,believe there are test presses w/demos and issues in existence

believe val shively and gregg tormo have or had issues of this

ATB

Floyd:thumbsup:

Social source share

Funnily enough my WD which came via Dobber used to be the very same copy that Steve Smith once had, so there you go we are talking about the same copy that can look back on quite some travelling ! I know Val Shively has one (for the Doo wop side), dont know about Greg Tormo or any others in circulation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Marc Forrest said:

Funnily enough my WD which came via Dobber used to be the very same copy that Steve Smith once had, so there you go we are talking about the same copy that can look back on quite some travelling ! I know Val Shively has one (for the Doo wop side), dont know about Greg Tormo or any others in circulation.

hi marc,if i remember at the time we thought there was maybe 3 test pressings in existance,but i always thought that was as far as the process went,no demo's or issue's? ive certainly never seen either!

Social source share

11 hours ago, dobber said:

hi marc,if i remember at the time we thought there was maybe 3 test pressings in existance,but i always thought that was as far as the process went,no demo's or issue's? ive certainly never seen either!

How longs ago my friend, do u remember ? Think Val infact has an issue and at least one demo in existence see pic ("knicked" via utube) 

image.jpeg

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Marc Forrest said:

How longs ago my friend, do u remember ? Think Val infact has an issue and at least one demo ("knicked" via utube) 

image.jpeg

Wow! Very surprised,there can't be many of them,would love to see a demo and an issue in the flesh,have you actually see either in the flesh Marc,could this label off YouTube be made up for a video? I was convinced it never saw a release!

Social source share

Steve Smith had TWO white label hand written test pressings . I did some trades with him for one , think thats the one Manny had ? Can definitely remember the slow side had a imprint of a " Chancellor " label where the label had been stuck to it over the years . I actually took the copy to Val in the States , he didn't have it at the time . Said he wanted the v- tone record not the test . Wonder who ended up with my old copy ? 

Social source share

12 hours ago, pumpkinseed said:

Steve Smith had TWO white label hand written test pressings . I did some trades with him for one , think thats the one Manny had ? Can definitely remember the slow side had a imprint of a " Chancellor " label where the label had been stuck to it over the years . I actually took the copy to Val in the States , he didn't have it at the time . Said he wanted the v- tone record not the test . Wonder who ended up with my old copy ? 

Hi Carl

heres the story as i remember it (may be wrong)

steve smith had two white test pressings off a guy called Glynn who had a record shop in Kettering

you had one copy and i had the other (around the same time, the 80s) yours went to john manship and i sold mine to martin koppell

martin bought my collection at the time and i had few things he hadnt heard before , jimmy+sundials was one of them

initially he  didnt want the unknowns as he wasnt sure of value but i insisted as i paid £250 for the jimmy disc (which was`nt cheap  for an unknown back then)  and said he had to have the lot and couldnt cherry pick the collection, i wish now i had kept the handfull of unkowns as i havent seen many for sale since and have turned out to be pretty rare like the jimmy and the sundials disc

my copy was bell sound stamped and the title/credits ect were hand written in pencil

ATB

Floyd

Edited by floyd
Social source share

16 hours ago, floyd said:

Hi Carl

heres the story as i remember it (may be wrong)

steve smith had two white test pressings off a guy called Glynn who had a record shop in Kettering

you had one copy and i had the other (around the same time, the 80s) yours went to john manship and i sold mine to martin koppell

martin bought my collection at the time and i had few things he hadnt heard before , jimmy+sundials was one of them

initially he  didnt want the unknowns as he wasnt sure of value but i insisted as i paid £250 for the jimmy disc (which was`nt cheap  for an unknown back then)  and said he had to have the lot and couldnt cherry pick the collection, i wish now i had kept the handfull of unkowns as i havent seen many for sale since and have turned out to be pretty rare like the jimmy and the sundials disc

my copy was bell sound stamped and the title/credits ect were hand written in pencil

ATB

Floyd

hand written pencil and stamped, yes just like mine. One of the two Steve had.Didnt know he had two though !

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago at  the Cleethorpes weekender , John  Anderson pulled a copy of this out from a 25 count box ( of various titles) I think he was selling it for a friend from America . John did  start to tell me the history of the 45 , but Al Coney let a stink bomb off  so that was the end of that ! I'm almost certain it was a white label v-tone and about 3 grand , but i'm not 100% certain of that - not much help i know.....

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2017 at 22:27, Dysonsoul said:

Some years ago at  the Cleethorpes weekender , John  Anderson pulled a copy of this out from a 25 count box ( of various titles) I think he was selling it for a friend from America . John did  start to tell me the history of the 45 , but Al Coney let a stink bomb off  so that was the end of that ! I'm almost certain it was a white label v-tone and about 3 grand , but i'm not 100% certain of that - not much help i know.....

Blimey Andy, your memory is pristine, and here it is, the elusive white demo. Val's old copy via John Anderson. I don't think issues ever happened.

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tai-Pan said:

Blimey Andy, your memory is pristine, and here it is, the elusive white demo. Val's old copy via John Anderson. I don't think issues ever happened.

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

well im gobsmacked,very nice item andy! i see a limelights in the background?

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 14:49, Tai-Pan said:

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

Ah yeh that's the one....nice one confirming that Andy - i was half and half about posting my reply incase i had it wrong... that aside a very rare record indeed !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Nice find, let me know if it goes up for sale, not  interested in to getting into a bidding war but if you come up with a price you happy with or trades of a similar value let me know ASAP

ATB

Floyd:thumbsup:

Edited by floyd
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!