Anyone remember this...?

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

...From Stafford era? Used to be played by Guy, I think. I, and many others, used to happily dance along to it...

Just gave it a nostalgic listen after all these years, and... Isn't it fucking woeful? What got into us, I wonder? I suppose some of these records actually sounded better blasted out over a second rate sound system so you couldn't hear the corny little organ embellishments, etc.

Anyway, just a bit of fun. Hope no one gets offended.

Social source share

LOVED it back then Stan and unashamed to still love it now.Think it still goes for a fair bit but never owned it myself.To be honest most of the stuff i loved back in the 80s still do it for me . I never try to pick the imperfections out of Northern Soul records as its those same little gaps in production quality or vocal talent that make the records hit home somehow.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On 2/27/2017 at 17:21, son of stan said:

...From Stafford era? Used to be played by Guy, I think. I, and many others, used to happily dance along to it...

Just gave it a nostalgic listen after all these years, and... Isn't it fucking woeful? What got into us, I wonder? I suppose some of these records actually sounded better blasted out over a second rate sound system so you couldn't hear the corny little organ embellishments, etc.

Known long before Stafford, I remember a mate (British Collector) buying it when the Torch was open, maybe off Steve Glover, it was a tough one to get hold of. It never got any dance floor reaction back then, so wasn't played out much. if at all after, after an initial attempt.

Social source share

20 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Known long before Stafford, I remember a mate (British Collector) buying it when the Torch was open, maybe off Steve Glover, it was a tough one to get hold of. It never got any dance floor reaction back then, so wasn't played out much. if at all after, after an initial attempt.

I'm not surprised. How the hell would anyone dance to it? It's all over the place 

Social source share

Very rare record but at least I am in print as saying it was crap 30 years ago and not just jumping on a bandwagon!  Possibly one of only maybe 5 British records I've never had - but never actually looked for.  I'd love to know who the singer actually was.

Social source share

On 2/27/2017 at 17:21, son of stan said:

Yep its shit. 

Was never into the 60's mafia thing. Orrible.

Social source share

I can see where you're coming from, it isn't the best record I've ever heard, but I think shite or woeful is overstressing it slightly. I mean that 'Shitupayourface' or 'Mydingaling' is shite, Soul Joe Clements is perhaps third-rate but shite no, I don't agree.

Didn't have any luck finding out who it is behind the nomdiplume but it reminds me of Joe Brown or Marty Wilde, probably way off the mark though.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I can see where you're coming from, it isn't the best record I've ever heard, but I think shite or woeful is overstressing it slightly. I mean that 'Shitupayourface' or 'Mydingaling' is shite, Soul Joe Clements is perhaps third-rate but shite no, I don't agree.

Didn't have any luck finding out who it is behind the nomdiplume but it reminds me of Joe Brown or Marty Wilde, probably way off the mark though.

Both of those records were never played at all nighters though. I stand by my original post - it's shite. It's even worse if we're talking about soul records - but of course there were plenty of shite records played that had nothing to do with soul music. As I alluded to earlier some of the dj's greatest aid was speed - some people danced to anything. I do get that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Both of those records were never played at all nighters though. I stand by my original post - it's shite. It's even worse if we're talking about soul records - but of course there were plenty of shite records played that had nothing to do with soul music. As I alluded to earlier some of the dj's greatest aid was speed - some people danced to anything. I do get that.

I get it Peter, just with me, even the two records I loathe the most Tommy Navarro and 7th Avenue aviators are not what I would term shit. It's a subjective thing isn't it, I've heard much worse music than the Soul Joe one.

Myself I have danced very few times since I stopped doing gear, telling really that I've also massively increased in belly girth too! :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Sounds nothing like either of those to me ears, certainly nothing like Joe Brown.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, John A said:

Remember Soul Joe Clements? HOW could you forget? Great record. judging by all the earlier comments I must be one of only a few cloth eared mugs who own the damn thing :D

Spirit!

If the others are anything like me by the time they listen to it a few more times 'just to make sure it's shit' they will end up liking it! :thumbsup:

The ones that smack you in the face and you love from the off soon wear off but the ones that grow on you tend to be a little longer lasting, that's how it is for me anyway!

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
punctuation
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Dean Anderson and Guy Hennigan were talking about this on Dean's radio show last year. Joe Clements was an Irish fella who lived in Macclesfield and did a bit of singing. He liked soul, so became 'Soul' Joe Clements. How he came to get a record deal is anybody's guess. Apparently, some record hound managed to sniff out where SJ's house was, knocked on the door, spoke to The Man Himself and posed the million dollar question "so...er...Joe, sorry, Soul Joe: got any spares"? Dunno what the outcome was...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the record hound bit isn't true, maybe the Macclesfield bit too, I know who it was supposed to be and Guy said it never happened.  I can't find a sniff of any info anywhere about him.  There is a singer in the US called Joe Clements but nothing about this track in his bio.

Social source share

Plexium was one of those UK labels obviously run on a very tight budget and this record shows it, It was probably done in a very short time with little real desire to get anything right. A guy who was in one of the label's bands - Sadie's Expression - tells the story of how they requested a few hours extra recording time to redo a vocal that didn't fit with later added instrumentation The owner wouldn't pay it and put the obviously sub-standard single out as it was. The point was that for that extra hours fee the record would have improved dramatically.  It's this kind of mentality that results in this type of product. 

As for who it was. the discography shows a number of male singers recorded prior to this release and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them changed his name to put this "Soul" record out.  For example, there's a Mike Conway and Irish singer who's real name was Quinn who recorded for them.  To me the "gritty" vocal sounds a little  forced but the guy can obviously sing . On hearing it I did think the singer sounded Irish (my own "tag" :) for  these types of records that attempt a "growling" soul vocal is "Irish showband" eg John and The Weirdest, Can't Get over These Memories. That's not to disparage Irish show-bands in any way whatsoever.)  :elvis:

Edited by maslar
typo
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!