Billboard treasure trove online

Dayo

Maybe it's been there for ages, but yesterday I stumbled on a back issue of Billboard that Google had scanned and put online.  And there are thousands more from every period.

I wish I had time to go through all the issues but my job keeps me too busy.  

Anyway they are easy to find if you're inclined.  And you might even see an advert like this one...

Big Wheel advert Billboard.png

Social source share

3 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Yup, the entire Billboard archive has been available through Google Books for a few years. Absolutely amazing what you can find in there, isn't it?

It certainly is.  I could spend hours and hours reading.  The R&B page in the 1960's issues  is pretty lightweight compared to country and easy Listening sections etc. but I imagine there might be some great leads for R&B radio DJ names if anyone had the time to research and locate them (dreaming of treasure in the attic).  Was surprised to see a full page colour ad for Big Wheel Records though.  Always imagine these independents to have been shoestring operations.  Anyway, a fascinating resource.  

Edited by Dayo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Loads of great stuff on-line from Billboard, Cashbox & Record World + other mags & newspapers . . . . . .

I posted dozens & dozens up on Dave Flynn's old site years ago (SOUL TALK  -- that's gone though now) . . . .  still paste a few up almost everyday on Facebook. 

RW45ReviewsDec67y.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive got and had a Billboard international 1969 edition, been using it for years, it has pages of record label addresses, owners co owners phone # what other labels they owned. Then there is producers, distributers one stops. Tape whole sellers, pressing plants, label printers mothers disc makers and so on

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!