Segments Of Time - Detroit group

In 1972 Sussex Records issue an album by a Detroit group called the Segments of Time. Michael Stokes and Joe 'Jobie' Thomas wrote the majority of the songs of which 'Will You Be Mine' & 'Memories' are reasonably well known dance cuts. Stokes produced the album and Motown's Willie Shorter was the arranger. 

I've found a reference that Joe Billingslea of The Contours and Joe Thomas of Enchantment were involved and the latter may be one (of four)guys on the front cover.

Any information as to who this group were would be good. Were they just a studio affair?

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I know its not really on but I've solved my own question as to membership of  Segments of Time. Thanks to George G who provided the knowledge that they were from Columbus, Ohio I was able to use various sleeve-note, book and internet ireferences to find the infomation. They were:

Kenny Latham, formerly of The Royal Esquires & People's Choice.

Rondal Davis, formerly of the Royal Esquires

Donny Scales, formerly of the Enchanted Five

Ruben Washington

Here's the Royal Esquires northern favourite for your delectation. The support band  is The Soul Partners, later known as the BUckeye Politicians.

Social source share

The Buckeye Politicians had their 1st solo 45 out on Scepter in Nov 70. Although this was good, it didn't sell too well & they were dropped by the label. However a few years later they were tipped for UK success (74). They were spotted playing in the US (NY?) by a Brit (Alan Parsons) and he signed them to EMI. They had cut an album & headed to the UK with the master tapes. By all accounts, the master tapes were lost on the journey. A 45 was put out here but again it didn't sell. With the LP cuts having disappeared, they were going nowhere & headed back to the States, In 75 they landed a deal with Utopia & finally had an album out. This was quite rocky in parts but lots of the tracks off it are posted up on youtube, so it obviously has quite a few fans. Further releases followed on, so the group had some longevity.

Social source share

The above isn't really right Roburt. Scepter merely picked up the one single which had already been recorded by the group off their own back with Luther Dixon. Alan Parsons saw them in France when they were supporting The Commodores. More details on this in the Scepter Wand book - time to buy a copy John :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!