Club Playlists / Big Sounds 73-74

Pete S

What was the Carroll Lloyd side played at the Pendulum ? 

And Chimes on Down To Earth  ... or the Bogis Chimes on Champ?

Is Ben Atkins "Love Is A Beautiful Thing"  on Goldwax ?  Surely his Youngstown release wouldn't have been known at this time ?

Fingerpoppers in the last ad presumably is Teddy & The Fingerpoppers "Soul Groove" on Arctic ?

Which Genies in the Mecca ad ? "Prove It" on Ronn ?

Social source share

2 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

What was the Carroll Lloyd side played at the Pendulum ? 

And Chimes on Down To Earth  ... or the Bogis Chimes on Champ?

Is Ben Atkins "Love Is A Beautiful Thing"  on Goldwax ?  Surely his Youngstown release wouldn't have been known at this time ?

Fingerpoppers in the last ad presumably is Teddy & The Fingerpoppers "Soul Groove" on Arctic ?

Which Genies in the Mecca ad ? "Prove It" on Ronn ?

Chimes would probably be The Chymes on Okeh Bring It Back Home.

Ben Atkins is probably a typo and is actually Ben Aiken  Satisfield on Loma

I too am flummoxed by Carroll Lloyd, possible cover up ?, you are probably right about the last two.

Then again, there were a lot of cover ups about in those days so I could be wrong on all counts.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Chimes would probably be The Chymes on Okeh Bring It Back Home.

Ben Atkins is probably a typo and is actually Ben Aiken  Satisfield on Loma

I too am flummoxed by Carroll Lloyd, possible cover up ?, you are probably right about the last two.

Then again, there were a lot of cover ups about in those days so I could be wrong on all counts.

Thanks Kegsy , yes, if they had spelt Chymes correctly I would have sussed that from the off. No doubt you're right about Ben Aiken as well ... I also seem to vaguely recall from various publications over the years that some commentators thought Ben Atkins and Ben Aiken were one and the same person ... with the surname spelled differently on different records  ... although that has since proved not to be the case, particularly as Atkins is blue eyed and Aiken is black.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Waterman's Mr George's ad can't be taken too seriously  ... but anyway ... the first few sounds mentioned are   "thank You Baby I Aint Comin Back Music To My Ears ..."  .  So ,  do they mean one of the versions of (the Ronettes) "You Baby"?   Or do they mean  "Thank You Baby" by the Soul Brothers Six ? "Music To My Ears"  is obviously Patti Austin "Music To My Heart".

"Wait For It" ???

Patty Lee ???

Dovells ? You Can't Sit Down ? Surely not a  northern sound at that particular time,  or any time really,  except by Phil Upchurch ?

I min 38 secs Invitations instrumental ? Skiing In The Snow ? Was there ever an instrumental of the Invitations ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

Kegsy, you got it right. You will be WRONG on all counts. You usually are !!

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Roburt said:

I guess it was way before your time ... BUT   ... do you or any of your old York mates recall a big mid 60's soul club, the Zarf Club in Stongate (next to the Punch Bowl pub) ??

Re named the Olde World Club Early 70s

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!