Mr G labels

Roburt

There were at least 4 different US rekkid labels who titled emsens Mr G Records (though one had the alternate name of Grerory Records - thereby clashing with the Ohio based Gregory / Airtown / Juke & Terry set-up) ...

Anyway, are the details on these labels known; owners, producers, staff, studios used, etc ??

I know the Norfolk based Mr G (Gregory) was linked to Noah Biggs and his Shiptown set-up. This label also had links with the Luray label (that Ida Sands also had a 45 out on). Luray was owned by Jonas Walker. L-Rev Records also had links. Mr.G's main act (Al Glover) used to tour as back-up to Ida Sands.

At Prestatyn, I asked Don Gardner if he had anything to do with the ownership / running of the NY based label and he said NO, the label name was just a coincidence. He did tell me who ran it but I forget the details.

MrGMont.jpg

Luray45.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There's a decent documentary online all about Charlie McClendon (& the Magnificents) who had the 45 out on L-Rev. L-Rev was owned / run by Richard Levin + Tom & Steve Herman. Charlie was also connected with Frank Guida who was the 1st guy to run labels / have a studio (408 W. Princess Anne Road) in Norfolk. Of course, Noah Biggs (Shiptown / How Big / NimBig Music) was the manager of the Showmen & helped get the group their deal with Minit back in 61. Norman Johnson (of the Showmen) wrote the original song cut by Charlie McClendon on L-Rev. Lenis Guess wrote a song that was cut for How Big.

On the 'Funky Virginia' site it says Noah Biggs had a part in owning / running the Mr G (aka Gregory label).

Seems all the guys down in Norfolk were tied up together in some way or other. 

https://virginiafolklife.org/2015/05/magnificent-the-charlie-mcclendon-story/

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 4/16/2017 at 10:25, Steve G said:

The NY label was a pop label, and it was apparently created by Audio Fidelity Records according to Billboard at the time. 

The label must have bought in the Don Gardner 45 then, as I doubt many would describe Morris Bailey + Lawton & McCoy as delivering 'pop label' stuff.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!