Why Not Try These Artists?

This is a forum resplendent for the knowledge of it's members. If you want some information on soul music from the 60s and 70s more likely than not a Soul Source member will know. Therefore I tentatively raise the subject of 'new' music. It follows a conversation with a soul tribe aficionado  who mentioned that he hadn't listened to anything by a new artist in years. Basically he was musically still in the soul heaven of the Golden Period. He also reckoned there were many people of his ilk. 

I think his stance is a shame as we are in a period, especially in England and Wales, of tremendous creativity where musicians in their twenties and thirties are reaching back for inspiration to those that they see as pioneers, artists that include Curtis Mayfield and Etta James whose legacy often crops up in interviews with today artists. Anyway enough of this faux polemic I thought I'd highlight four fine new (ish) artists that are inspired by soul and R&B. Most write their own songs.  Please feel free to add your choices. 

STONE FOUNDATION - The new album 'Street Rituals' has a Style Council vibe which ain't surprising given Paul Weller is the producer. Songs  such as 'the Limit of The Man' and 'The Colour of' come replete with philly style strings and melodic horns. It's a lovely cocktail of soul styling with hammond organ interludes and a touch of Joe Battaan in the vocals. Their last album 'A Life Unlimited was very enjoyable as well'.

New Street Adventure -  In songwriter and lead singer Nick Corbin , New Street Adventure surely possess one of the finest contemporary songwriters around and refreshingly one who can write a 3/4 minute song. He must have access to a wonderful soul music collection because his influences are clearly the likes of Womack, Curtis, O'Jays and Intruders. On their song 'The Big AC' he evens mentions his influences and that of his father, a well known southern based northern soul DJ.  Catchy melodies and assured riffs dominate the two albums 'Stubborn Sons' & 'No Hard Feelings'. The social commentary of 'On Our Front Doorstep' was what drew me to them. I dare say I'll stand out as the silver-haired geezer near the bar but I'm seeing them live in Brighton this Saturday night.

THE MILK - Rick Nunn's gritty lead vocals put this Essex band apart from the pack. They have two albums of which the second 'Favourite Worry' is the one to have. It's a ten song collection of quality song-writing with a nice balance of up-tempo and mellow sounds. Check out 'Loneliness has Eyes' with it's laid back vibe that makes you feel like it's summer all ready. The gospel frame to 'Deliver Me' works splendidly whilst the final cut 'My Favourite Worry' with blistering vocals from Nunn is a rollicking conclusion.

Lack of Afro - The most eclectic of the four bands mentioned in this list and therefore more marginal to many reading this post. This is dance music that incorporates elements of: soul, rare groove, reggae , jack swing and house.  In many ways the variety is as much a negative as a joy. On the new album 'Hello Baby' you get everything from the James Brown style funk of 'Take You Home' (sung by Joss Stone) to the pop of 'All My Love' to the Divine Comedy influenced 'Walk in The Sun' which many hate but works for me. There's soul and disco, hints of Earth, Wind & Fire and Mary J in an ever changing melange of dance grooves.  The last album 'Music For Advents' is probably the one to get first. 

Anyway I hope I've managed to convey my enthusiasm for some of the 'new' sounds that are out there and encourage you to try them. It's not soul music as you and I would define it but the retro influences of these bands raises my pulse for the future. If I had to choose one of the above the New Street Adventure's ' No Hard Feelings' would be the one.

I'm interested to hear other members favourites cos there is so much to hear and just not enough time.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hi, thanks for the thread.  There are many of us here listening to new soul music across a broad spectrum, typically under threads with 'Modern Soul' in the title.  I've posted up lists of Soul artists before that have plays and note here, some of which get included by DJs in the non-Oldies area of the scene.   Northern Soul isn't a general soul scene as we know, so has a particular style, era and qualities that are sought.  It's a broad spectrum in itself though and always was - what is now an oldie that someone loves and will only listen to was perhaps a new release back in the 1970s.  

Obviously Dome, Expansion, Disco Soul Gold, Papa Records/Reel People, Joey Negro's Z Records, Outta Sight and many other labels are either releasing new music or reissuing Crossover/Modern Soul dance music (others like Kent are reissuing too, but I'm focusing on post 1970s issue music for a moment).  There is a healthy vinyl scene for Modern Soul releases too now which for some combines old and new well.

While I like the UK bands mentioned and others, I don't find some don't quite have the snap to their music, just a tiny almost imperceptible groove thing that's not quite there.  I also find some themselves are too limited to a sound before about 1972 and don't themselves take in what has happened since.  I don't mind of course, it's still fun to listen to, but this far away from the era trying to recreated it musically is starting to feel a little unncessary, especially when done by so many pop artists in recent decades.

I travel a lot for work and like stereo music on headphones, so listen extensively to Modern Soul (and jazz etc) while out and about and save the older Mono music for playing (loudly) at home. 

I don't think people only listening to their original music is a function of Soul music, I think it's people who enjoyed some music a lot in their youth but then aren't really interested in music in and of itself as an interest that keeps them exploring new music (or even old music new to them).  

Thanks

Mark

Edited by ThinkSmart
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Thanks for the info re Mr Weller - glad he's still pushing the boundaries. What's Mick Talbot up to these days?

For new stuff on here ajb has been performing heroic work on the thread "EMS Appreciation Society" and there are a few others like Mark Randle regularly on the case. But it would be good to see it more widely spread, perhaps by genre, format, country of origin or whatever. There is interest on here for it, but I suspect it's muted because most assume that anything beyond 1975 puts you on thin ice. Time to live dangerously!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Thanks for the info re Mr Weller - glad he's still pushing the boundaries. What's Mick Talbot up to these days?

For new stuff on here ajb has been performing heroic work on the thread "EMS Appreciation Society" and there are a few others like Mark Randle regularly on the case. But it would be good to see it more widely spread, perhaps by genre, format, country of origin or whatever. There is interest on here for it, but I suspect it's muted because most assume that anything beyond 1975 puts you on thin ice. Time to live dangerously!

Mick Talbot has a band called Push, great they are too.  They have backed the acts at the last few Wilton nights.

Mick O'Donnell's Soul Discovery show is excellent and plays so e great new soul music, every Sunday at 6 on Solar. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this pre-advance sounds good

Record Kicks presents a new limited edition 45 clear vinyl by UK rock steady/soul/dub combo Pama International feat 2 super soulful cuts. On the A side the new single "Wake Up" flipped by "I Cried Till I Stopped" on the B side. 

In their first 10 years Pama Int'l recorded 9 albums, 3 BBCRadio 1 Maida Vale sessions, won the Rebel playlist on BBC6, and became the first new act to sign to Trojan Records in 30 years. Their collective nature saw them work with members of The Specials, Madness, Steel Pulse, Style Council, Galliano, Kasabian, Mad Professor, Toots & The Maytals, Jimmy Cliff to name a few. 

Watch out, the clear 45 is limited to 250 copies worldwide.

credits

releases May 12, 2017

https://recordkicks.bandcamp.com/album/wake-up-i-cried-till-i-stopped

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pama International cut a very nice album called 'Pama Outernational' a few years back. It's not really for this forum as it was mainly full of rocksteady vibes. I've put an order in for their new single so thanks Mike for highlighting.

Childhood are another London band that are making waves. they recently supported Johnny Marr during his tour.  Their soul influences are pretty clear on this cut 'Californian Light' from their new album 'Universal High'. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!