James Brown's mid '60s King Anti-Drug Song

Robbk

Hi folks.  I had a James Brown King record from his late King period, which was a public service song telling kids not to take drugs.  It was on the last label design, with a white background and artistic lettering.  I think it was DJ only, and its catalogue number was not in the regular series.  I think it had 2 letters a dash and 2 numbers (like JS-23).  It was a funky dance tune.  The only part I can remember was: "Don't take drugs, y'all, there KILLERS!  Good Gawd!  It was very funny.  I had it in L.A. in 1966 or 1967, while attending university.  I took to a friend's house in The hot San Fernando Valley, for him to hear it.  Four of us went in my car to Busch Gardens to take the free tour, and drink a lot of free (American watered down beer) tongue.png.  I inadvertently left the record sitting on my dashboard top.  After a couple hours of drinking and relieving ourselves we returned to my car to find the 45 warped like it had been wearing curlers to get a perm! 

I was heartbroken.  It was the only copy of that record I'd ever seen.  I never found another.  I've looked for it on You-Tube, but can't remember the title.  When I describe it, they just keep sending me to Polydor's much later, "King Heroin".

Do any of you know of the King record, and its title.  If you have it, I'd also like to see a scan.  Thanks for any help.  It was pants-wetting funny! wink.png

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

4 hours ago, RobbK said:

Hi folks.  I had a James Brown King record from his late King period, which was a public service song telling kids not to take drugs.  It was on the last label design, with a white background and artistic lettering.  I think it was DJ only, and its catalogue number was not in the regular series.  I think it had 2 letters a dash and 2 numbers (like JS-23).  It was a funky dance tune.  The only part I can remember was: "Don't take drugs, y'all, there KILLERS!  Good Gawd!  It was very funny.  I had it in L.A. in 1966 or 1967, while attending university.  I took to a friend's house in The hot San Fernando Valley, for him to hear it.  Four of us went in my car to Busch Gardens to take the free tour, and drink a lot of free (American watered down beer) tongue.png.  I inadvertently left the record sitting on my dashboard top.  After a couple hours of drinking and relieving ourselves we returned to my car to find the 45 warped like it had been wearing curlers to get a perm! 

I was heartbroken.  It was the only copy of that record I'd ever seen.  I never found another.  I've looked for it on You-Tube, but can't remember the title.  When I describe it, they just keep sending me to Polydor's much later, "King Heroin".

Do any of you know of the King record, and its title.  If you have it, I'd also like to see a scan.  Thanks for any help.  It was pants-wetting funny! wink.png

Hi Rob,

Is this it? I didn't know it but was intrigued so did a little looking. Side 1 is JB and side 2 is BB. Both sides are on the same youtube song below. Both very short

I hope it is the one.

All the best

Kev Bod

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

28 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

Hi Rob,

Is this it? I didn't know it but was intrigued so did a little looking. Side 1 is JB and side 2 is BB. Both sides are on the same youtube song below. Both very short

I hope it is the one.

All the best

Kev Bod

No.  That's the same label design, but mine had James brown on both sides and he was singing, not talking, and the song was about 2 minutes long.  It was a real song, like "Don't Be A Dropout".  But, it was more funky, as it was from a later period.  it was probably put out in conjunction with this release.  One was The PSA for airing, while the other was a song to be played, in a rotation, just like "Don't Be A Dropout".

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi Rob..... I have many James Brown records + other King Artists, I'm sorry that I do not have this, but way back in the early 7t's I did, I got it from my fave place for finding rare soul, DAVIDS BOOKSHOP in Letchworth Herts, the place still exists, but not the place I use to get my finds, which was a warehouse attached to the SPIRELLA building, I found this & many more of JB's records along with boat loads of soul, I know that I no longer have that copy however I have a box of KING records that I have yet to look through, but don't get your hopes up to much as it must be rare if you have not found a copy?. if I have a copy I will gladly give you it for nothing, there must be someone who can help you? KTF Dave K.

Social source share

3 hours ago, dthedrug said:

:hatsoff2:Hi Rob..... I have many James Brown records + other King Artists, I'm sorry that I do not have this, but way back in the early 7t's I did, I got it from my fave place for finding rare soul, DAVIDS BOOKSHOP in Letchworth Herts, the place still exists, but not the place I use to get my finds, which was a warehouse attached to the SPIRELLA building, I found this & many more of JB's records along with boat loads of soul, I know that I no longer have that copy however I have a box of KING records that I have yet to look through, but don't get your hopes up to much as it must be rare if you have not found a copy?. if I have a copy I will gladly give you it for nothing, there must be someone who can help you? KTF Dave K.

Thanks.  But just getting an MP3 sound file and a label scan would be enough.   I don't post on this forum to have people give me their records.

Social source share

1 hour ago, RobbK said:

Thanks.  But just getting an MP3 sound file and a label scan would be enough.   I don't post on this forum to have people give me their records.

HI ROB.....Regarding your reply, my gesture was not meant to cause you a stressful night, indeed far from it but as a long time collector of vinyl, I thought you would appreciate my soulful gesture, proves how wrong I was, not to be a mind reader, I will keep that in mind, in future .

PLEASE try to KEEP THE FAITH SOUL BROTHER.

, Dave K.  

Social source share

3 hours ago, dthedrug said:

HI ROB.....Regarding your reply, my gesture was not meant to cause you a stressful night, indeed far from it but as a long time collector of vinyl, I thought you would appreciate my soulful gesture, proves how wrong I was, not to be a mind reader, I will keep that in mind, in future .

PLEASE try to KEEP THE FAITH SOUL BROTHER.

, Dave K.  

Sorry to seem ungrateful.  I DID appreciate your kind gesture. It's just that that Funk song is NOT my sound at all.  James Brown changing to Funk was one of the main reasons I stopped listening to Soul radio in 1966-67 (I can't even listen to "Licking Stick", "I Got Ants In My Pants and I Gotta Dance" and the like).  I only liked "Don't Take Drugs" for its comedy value.  I figured someone like you, who has all the James Brown King records, probably likes it a lot more.  I just wanted to hear it again, as I hadn't heard it for almost 50 years.  But, I don't care if I would have it in my "collection".  If you had offered me a rare Detroit "Sweet" Soul record from 1961-67, I might not have been able to resist your offer.  :yes:

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi Rob.. I fully understand where you are coming from, can I assure you that I read your comments on SoulSource almost daily & enjoy your knowledge of SOUL  However admitting not to like "licking stick" would be like knowing this Saturdays Lotto? any way no harm done, so KEEP ON KEEPING ON, Dave K

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!