soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 24
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Emanon's Orchestra - Bird Walkin' - All Brothers

Was this one booted? Anybody know what's on the flip of the boot if there was one?

Ta...Mark

Social source share

Yes was booted, a good looking one at that!

Flip of the boot is 'Look In The want Ads'

Weird? I have a copy here with The Pretenders 'I Wanna Be' on - anybody shed any light on this one?

Much appreciated - been bugging me...MRez

Social source share

Weird? I have a copy here with The Pretenders 'I Wanna Be' on - anybody shed any light on this one?

Much appreciated - been bugging me...MRez

A miss-read

Edited by ken
Social source share

I thought it was Ann Robinson?

Ed

almost sure this was the sherrys - world of happiness

or was that the c/u

Butch covered it as the Sherry's. Andy Rix/Rob Thomas later covered it as Cindy Scott when the got a second acetate. Some info somewhere from Andy, will post it up shortly.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

what Andy Rix had to say about the disc/record.....

Ann Robinson & World of happiness .....time to put this story to bed I think by reviewing the evidence that is available.... as we know the song was written by Eddie Holman & James Solomon and produced by Luther Randolph. The flip side 'In one ear and out the other' was written by Jesse James and it was he who bought this girl, from Norristown, to Harthon. The track was cut at the same time as 'She's wanted' & 'Love is all right' ... I have an 8" acetate with both of these band tracks on back to back and at the end of LIA there is a snippet of WOH ...so off the same tape reel and further evidence of a 1965 recording... the recollections of Eddie & Jessie in particular confirm these sessions all take place within the same time frame. 'She's wanted' by Larry Clinton was issued in November 1965 which again confirms the recollections of Eddie & Jessie that 'WOH' was a '65 recording ... when Jesse fell out with the Harthon team over musical differences specifically concerning 'LIA' the girl from Norristown had also left the scene.

As I have stated before elsewhere nobody remembers her name ...and when talking about 'her' I mean the girl who sings the version that I play and not the version that Butch plays ... Eddie & James seemed to recall one of the girls who cut a demo was Tina Britt and another was called Elaine ...Jesse & Harriet James cannot remember but knew the girl's family and are confident that when her parents pulled her out of the record business because of their religious beliefs she never made another record... certainly not while they were around. Luther Randolph was equally puzzled and suggested Cindy Gibson or Roseanne Jefferson but these names did not register with Eddie, James or Harriet who are all able to describe what the girl looked like .... as far as Weldon McDougal was concerned when I first played the song to him a couple of years ago he didn't know it at all but was able to recognise it as a Harthon thing. When I phoned Weldon again yesterday and had yet another conversation about it he struggled to recognise the song I was talking about so when I played it he was adamant that the singer was NOT Ann Robinson, whose range was totally different, and more importantly he does not have a master tape of the recording.

I believe that this Ann Robinson story emanated from Dave Brown & Sonny Hopson in Philly and may in fact be a misunderstanding..... Eddie Holman knew Ann very well and recalls that she arrived in Philly, from Virginia, in about 69, so years after WOH was first recorded ...he again said that she did not cut WOH at Virtue.

Ann recorded initially for Sonny Hopsons All Brothers label which released 'Bird Walkin' by the Emanons Orch, which despite different writer/publisher credits, is a reworking if the rhythm track of 'World of happiness' ..... The Emanons as 'The Freedom Now Brothers' released a track called 'Sissy walk' on All Brothers and Ann cut a vocal on this entitled 'you did it' ....what Sonny told Dave was that he had wanted to do 'Bird Walkin' as a vocal but the Emanons (a male group) couldn't cut the vocal track how he wanted so he got Ann to do a vocal on that tune as well which was never issued ... I believe it was assumed from this discussion this meant Ann had cut 'World of happiness' and was therefore the mystery girl ....I think not.

I have just listened to Ann singing 'You did it' and there is no way she is the girl singing my version of WOH ...the voices are totally different. The problem now is that many in the UK believe the Ann Robinson story is true and as she has been proclaimed by all to be the mystery girl it's hardly likely the story is gonna be retracted as a misunderstanding ... I've told Dave Brown he should check his facts before circulating half-truths but it's a bit late now .... so in conclusion WOH is not by Ann Robinson and when I find out who it is I will let you all know I rest my case unless anybody wishes to put forward some equally convincing evidence.

Just to finish off the reason we called it Cindy Scott is because we thought as Butch called his the Sherry's we should go for a solo femme artist to identify it as a different version and as we were actually leaving Philly to fly out to visit Cindy in LA & she was from Philly .... well it just seemed logical

Social source share

getting confused now ken - who? what? LOL...

Mark

I first read it like the B side as the Pretenders on your Emanon's orchestra doh !! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I first read it like the B side as the Pretenders on your Emanon's orchestra doh !! :thumbsup:

My copy Emanon Orch here HAS got The Pretenders 'I Wanna Be' on the flip - can anybody enlighten me? Is it legit? Know anything about it?

TIA...MRez

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I've posted the instrumental Virtue acetate of Bird Walking which I have in refosoul somewhere. I personally prefer it to the released vocal version, but not everyone agrees. Interesting listen, at least...

Social source share

My copy Emanon Orch here HAS got The Pretenders 'I Wanna Be' on the flip - can anybody enlighten me? Is it legit? Know anything about it?

TIA...MRez

Back to me original answer,must be a new boot.

Social source share

Back to me original answer,must be a new boot.

Can't be new Ken - I've had it years mate...any more info there mate?

M

Social source share

Can't be new Ken - I've had it years mate...any more info there mate?

M

How very odd Mark,post up a picture :thumbsup:

Come on lets all have a laugh at the genuine boot!!

Edited by ken
Social source share

I've never seen that one and don't know when it is from, but Manship is selling it for £10 on his site.

Ok - now I understand...thx all...M

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I've posted the instrumental Virtue acetate of Bird Walking which I have in refosoul somewhere. I personally prefer it to the released vocal version, but not everyone agrees. Interesting listen, at least...

:thumbsup: absolutely hate it soz.............. :lol:

Social source share