Post Stafford Classics

We all know & love the classics from the Golden era & they are well documented on the whole, even the tunes played during the 8ts, after the tourists had left the scene for dead, when the REAL die hard's kept the scene alive & vibrant with a twist have become classics & in many cases been revived over the last 10 - 15 years & enjoyed almost like newies again by the returnees that missed them first time around, but what are the classic tunes POST Stafford etc, we are constantly told nothing could compare with the discoveries from the Golden Era, but I disagree & wondered what your classics from the scenes more recent history (comparitively speaking) are or maybe you feel there arnt any discoveries from this period that can be considered classics.

Here's a few from me:

Jimmy Bo Horne - I Just Cant Speak - Dade

Fortsom & Scott - Sweet Lover - Pzazz

Parliments-This is my rainy day-Cabel

Hamilton Movement-She's Gone-Look-Out

Vanguards-Good Times, Bad Times-Lamp

Johnny Praye-Cant Get Too Much Love-Sidewalk

Trannels-Im Blessed With a Love-Flo Jo

Barons of Soul-You Need Love

Lil Major Williams-Girl Don't Leave Me/Girl Your So Sweet-Paladium/Williams 111

Walter & the Admerations-Man o Man-La Cindy

Carla Thomas-Never Stop Loving You

True Image-I'm Not Over You-Super Smash

Camaros - We're Not Too Young - D'ar Cha

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal-Coconut Groove

Mello Souls - We Can Make It - Mello

Hyperions - Why you wanna treat me - Chattahoochie

Annabel Fox-Lonely Girl-Satin

Chuck Cockerham-Have I the Right-Mala

Barbara Lynne-Moovin' On a Groove-Jetstream

Ruby Andrews-Just Loving You-Zodiac

Jesse James- love is all right-Shirley

Joey Delorenzo-Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl- Mi Val

All the unissued RCA from Ady

Ben E King-Give It To Me

Cody Black-Its Our Time To Fall In Love-Gig

Eddie Billups-Ask My Heart-Peachtree

Potentiall loads more...........so what are your post Stafford era tunes, you feel deserve classic status ????????????

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

• Replies 500
  • Views 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Wow, great thread Russ, will mull over this tomorrow- was a bit surprised to see the JD in there, but we are not going to agree on all so maybe good idea to just accentuate the positive on this one, there are loads and since I am always banging on about it, would be good to put some up.

Need to go to bed but I will be back tomorrow........

Social source share

We all know & love the classics from the Golden era & they are well documented on the whole, even the tunes played during the 8ts, after the tourists had left the scene for dead, when the REAL die hard's kept the scene alive & vibrant with a twist have become classics & in many cases been revived over the last 10 - 15 years & enjoyed almost like newies again by the returnees that missed them first time around, but what are the classic tunes POST Stafford etc, we are constantly told nothing could compare with the discoveries from the Golden Era, but I disagree & wondered what your classics from the scenes more recent history (comparitively speaking) are or maybe you feel there arnt any discoveries from this period that can be considered classics.

Here's a few from me:

Jimmy Bo Horne - I Just Cant Speak - Dade

Fortsom & Scott - Sweet Lover - Pzazz

Parliments-This is my rainy day-Cabel

Hamilton Movement-She's Gone-Look-Out

Vanguards-Good Times, Bad Times-Lamp

Johnny Praye-Cant Get Too Much Love-Sidewalk

Trannels-Im Blessed With a Love-Flo Jo

Barons of Soul-You Need Love

Lil Major Williams-Girl Don't Leave Me/Girl Your So Sweet-Paladium/Williams 111

Walter & the Admerations-Man o Man-La Cindy

Carla Thomas-Never Stop Loving You

True Image-I'm Not Over You-Super Smash

Camaros - We're Not Too Young - D'ar Cha

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal-Coconut Groove

Mello Souls - We Can Make It - Mello

Hyperions - Why you wanna treat me - Chattahoochie

Annabel Fox-Lonely Girl-Satin

Chuck Cockerham-Have I the Right-Mala

Barbara Lynne-Moovin' On a Groove-Jetstream

Ruby Andrews-Just Loving You-Zodiac

Joey Delorenzo-Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl- Mi Val

All the unissued RCA from Ady

Ben E King-Give It To Me

Cody Black-Its Our Time To Fall In Love-Gig

Eddie Billups-Ask My Heart-Peachtree

Potentiall loads more...........so what are your post Stafford era tunes, you feel deserve classic status ????????????

Russ

What a list Russ. And what a great idea for a thread.

Imperial C's ?

Social source share

Wow, great thread Russ, will mull over this tomorrow- was a bit surprised to see the JD in there, but we are not going to agree on all so maybe good idea to just accentuate the positive on this one, there are loads and since I am always banging on about it, would be good to put some up.

Need to go to bed but I will be back tomorrow........

Dont really need to like em mate.......maybe not a classic tho with hind sight ??????/.

Russ

Social source share

I think it was Dave Rimmer who came up with the label "post Wigan oldie"....still just about sums it up to me....

Great thread Russ....

Suppose I`d have to add.........

Stoppers-Come back baby

Carla Thomas-I`ll never stop loving you

Isleys-My love is your love

Constelations-I dont know about you

Garland Green-Just aint good enough

Chuck Jackson-Whats with this loneliness

Now someone is gonna tell me some of these tunes got played in Peterborough in 1974...but I`m talking about widespread popularity....

Chris

Social source share

You could add quite a few from Butch alone,

Jean Carter

Martha Jean Love

Mac Staton & Nomads

Antalects

Hank Hodge

Jerry Williamns (Tommy Tate) cover up

Johnny Praye

Patrinell Staten

Sensations.....Demanding Man

couple from Andy Dyson

Rita & Tiaras coverup

Belita Woods cover up

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

A little off topic Russ sorry, you have just reminded of the above. I loved this when I used to hear Butch play it. Not heard it for years now. What's the story with this? Is it a one off ect

Feckin great thead by the way my old friend. Need to dig out some Soul Essence play lists.

Social source share

James Troubles favourite....Joe Jama (Tim Brown)

Metros - Don't Let Her Give You Some Of Her Love (Rob Marriott)

Diane Lewis - Ain't Got A Chance (Butch)

Ralph Graham - She Just Sits There - Upfront (Colin Law)

Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Baby's Heart - Diamond (Ady)

Jokers - Soul Sounds - Sko Field (Rob M)

Edited by chalky
Social source share

A little off topic Russ sorry, you have just reminded of the above. I loved this when I used to hear Butch play it. Not heard it for years now. What's the story with this? Is it a one off ect

Feckin great thead by the way my old friend. Need to dig out some Soul Essence play lists.

It's unissued Virtue acetate isn't it? The Shirley one is Are You Gonna Leave Me, Butch's Arcades cover up.

Also World of Happiness from Butch too. Credited to Ann Robinson is it although it's supposedly not her.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

James Troubles favourite....Joe Jama (Tim Brown)

Metros - Don't Let Her Give You Some Of Her Love (Rob Marriott)

Diane Lewis - Ain't Got A Chance (Butch)

Ralph Graham - She Just Sits There - Upfront (Colin Law)

Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Baby's Heart - Diamond (Ady)

Jokers - Soul Sounds - Sko Field (Rob M)

Ady Pountain and Keith Minshull had this at Stafford

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

It's unissued Virtue acetate isn't it?

Also World of Happiness from Butch too. Credited to Ann Robinson is it although it's supposedly not her.

Thats what I thought, but on the list Russ has shown it being on Shirly thus the question :lol:

Sound Bite any one? Would brighten my day up no end :lol:

Social source share

It's unissued Virtue acetate isn't it? The Shirley one is Are You Gonna Leave Me, Butch's Arcades cover up.

You are right of course Chalks............was typing like a demon & twas late, apologies peeps, Gavin sorry for the 'bum steer' mate & yes we need some Modern input too.

Russ

Social source share

You are right of course Chalks............was typing like a demon & twas late, apologies peeps, Gavin sorry for the 'bum steer' mate & yes we need some Modern input too.

Russ

Second Re$surrection - You Done Let Daylight Catch You

Ice - Hard Times

Jesse Fisher-Honey

Bill Brandon-Streets got my lady

Gino Washington & The Davis Sisters-So in love

Little Reuben-In the name of loneliness

Trace Of Smoke-Treasure mind

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Feckin work is goin to get in the way with this dipping in and out quickly..

Chuck Cockram

Richard Caiton

Kenny Hamber

Joseph Webster

King Moses

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Fabulous piece of soul and you're right Russ, not heard enough! Suppose that's the trouble with acetates and such like.

For me, never heard this befor can honestly say it's the very best soul track i've had the pleasure of listening to in years, truly class Mr Thorley :lol:

Steve J

Social source share

I think we could also add:

Montclaires-Hey You-Arch....(I know............. played once at the Mecca, but wasnt really played out until more recently).

Big Daddy Rogers - Im a Big Man-Midas

Elipsis-People-Briarmeade

Melvin Brown & James Matthews - Love Stormy Weather - Philmore Sound

Patience Valentine - If you don't come - Sar

Keni Lewis - Not the Marrying Kind

Gerri Grainger-Why Cant it Be Tonight

Lenny Williams-Gotta Lotta Luv-Krush

Russ

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've the worst memory in the world but

Many classics post Stafford came about by simply flipping tunes made popular at TOTW,

eg Jack Montgomery, Tangeers etc.

How about

Terry Callier - Ordinary Joe

Little Ann - Who Are you trying To Fool

Purple Mundi

Soul Set - Will You Ever Learn

Brand New Faces - B N F

True Image - Not over you yet

Martha reeves - Noone There

Oxford knights - We can make it.

Some of those may have been Stafford too.

Plus the Luther Ingram one that Ady plays. I dont get it, but everyone else raves about it, and it fills the 100 club floor every time.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Feckin work is goin to get in the way with this dipping in and out quickly..

Chuck Cockram

Richard Caiton

Kenny Hamber

Joseph Webster

King Moses

King Moses was deffo played pre & during Stafford, altho maybe not at Stafford, Poke play wasnt it ? altho' has enjoyed wider success more recently, I think Joseph Webster might have been played earlier too, but not sure, can anyone confirm ????????.........Richard Caiton woahhhhh........great tune. Which reminds me.

Milton Parker-Women Like It Harder-closet

James Phelps-The Look On Your Face-Apache

Russ

Social source share

King Moses was deffo played pre & during Stafford, altho maybe not at Stafford, Poke play wasnt it ? altho' has enjoyed wider success more recently, I think Joseph Webster might have been played earlier too, but not sure, can anyone confirm ????????.........Richard Caiton woahhhhh........great tune. Which reminds me.

Milton Parker-Women Like It Harder-closet

James Phelps-The Look On Your Face-Apache

Russ

yeah thats right on King Moses ! plus Guy H and a DJ at Morcombe had Joe Webster . Hey Gavin you got one yet ?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

This is the sillest post of the day, but I don't know when Stafford ended :lol: . My memory is shot, can anyone give me the date of the last one we did. :lol:

I thought late 86 early 87 :lol: Feck me man, it was your gig :lol:

Social source share

This is the sillest post of the day, but I don't know when Stafford ended :lol: . My memory is shot, can anyone give me the date of the last one we did. :lol:

Let's get this right Dave. You ran the No.1 all-nighter in the 80's and you can't remember when it closed? :lol:

I'd hate to do a Stafford comp with you mate!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'd say Stafford went 83 to 86?? Where's Chalkie when you need him? Oops there he is.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Let's get this right Dave. You ran the No.1 all-nighter in the 80's and you can't remember when it closed? :lol:

I'd hate to do a Stafford comp with you mate!

Ian D :lol:

Actually Ive spoken to a few people and no one remembers the final Stafford . Strange hey :lol:

Social source share

Actually Ive spoken to a few people and no one remembers the final Stafford . Strange hey :lol:

That's partly because it ended suddenly, no big last night. The new owners of the club had inherited us when they took over the club and didn't really get the whole soul/allnighter thing. So in a search for something to close it, focused on the drug thing. It was fair to say that by the mid 80's people jacking up and leaving works in the toilet pans had become a bit of an issue. We had to sweep the build three times a night to clean up ofter others. In the end, the management just annonced that this was the last one, and so it ended, no fanfair.

But by then it had do it's job as a venue, the scene was in much better shape than when we open our doors, new DJ's and venues where everywhere, fun while it lasted, but never out stay your welcome.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert