When Did You Get ' The One '

nickp

The Search for that record,' the special one '

Obviously ebay changed the goalposts for everyone, however, here is a wee story.

I dont know where I heard it first.

Its Lalo Shifrin' s version of Manteca from the ' lalo schifrin en buenos aires' lp.

Having the opportunity to visit Buenos Aires on a few occasions, and

unable to get the record,once finding it in a record library, they

would not sell it to me,It never came up on my ebay searches.

Last day in Buenos Aires, just as I ask if it is possible to get a copy in the weirdest record shop, the one eyed dealer phones a friend ,says he can get me a copy for £120.

i was prepared to pay, no problem.

Then thought, check ebay, got a buy it now,picked it up in Buenos Aires from the guy's wife for 60 pounds.Listening to it now, superb.

Maybe if the thread goes anywhere we can keep it precise and give that 'feeling' I felt when I got this album.

Nick.

Edited by nickp
Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

about ten years ago when i was just getting into soul music an older hiphop dj friend of mine brought out an album called Emotion in Motion by The Metros, and I heard "SInce I found my baby" for the first time. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, the song was so wild, the combination of the heavy beat & dark minor key melody paired with the jopyous high vocals screaming SINCE I FOUND MY BABY made me want/need the record more than anything else! I was 23 and had a very lowpaying job and the reality of soul 45 collecting was starting to set in, how will i ever have $150 bucks for this record, how will I even FIND IT? And then one day I walked into Jack's Record Cellar and there on a new stack of 45's was the Metros right on top, I couldn't believe I was looking at the record in real life. Wade, one of the partners in the shop made me a deal to sell it to me for 80 dollars and that was the record that started me down the path... :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!