Magic Touch Biggie

Soulfulsolutions

A gorgeous double sider with a funky edge up for grabs.

Harvey Scales & Seven Sounds – Trying to survive / Bump your thang – Magic Touch 3002 M- £1800 SOLD

Milwaukee, Wisconsin is not the most obvious source of rare soul, but this is where Lennie LaCour established Magic Touch Records in 1964 having left Chicago for a brief spell. He discovered and produced Harvey Scales, a prominent figure in the large Magic Touch catalogue. Northern material is deep seated throughout the label, ranging from the real rarities like Harveys “Trying to survive”, Mar-J-s “I’ve got to find a way out” and Sean Taylor’s raucous “Never do I worry” through to the more obscure and semi known like Evelyn Smiths “You don’t mean a thing to me”.

Harvey enjoyed a phenomenal writing, recording, producing and performing career, still revered and inspiring audiences at live gigs right up until he passed away a few weeks ago. I can’t work out when or why the Seven Sounds became the Seven Seas, but the band was a significant force in this full blown relationship. In 1969 at the time of the release of “Trying to survive” members were Rudi Jacobs, Ray Armstead, Mannie Smith, Bill Purtie, Bill Stonewall and Mel Taylor, the sax player and co-writer with Harvey on this excellent studio session. At some point Magic Touch was moved to Illinois.

Trying to survive is a story of hard times, the USA at a turning point, sung with a heavy heart, worrying about family matters and the bleak future. This song should be dark, but its a beautifully crafted gentle persuasive story on a lilting crossover backing with occasional funky edged break. My first attempt to buy this many years ago was beaten back in an auction that exceeded $3500, and for good reason as it turned out to be a very rare original 45. The flip “Bump your thang” is an accomplished string driven track, so a cool double sider. Vinyl on both sides is a conservative Mint Minus, labels are the same. The only thing to report is a very mild edge lift that does not affect play.

Content with PayPal by friends or add 4% for your own assurance, or I can take bank transfers.

Postage:
£10.00 – Special Delivery (Fully Insured)
Overseas on request

MT2.JPG

Edited by SoulfulSolutions
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images