Memphis Monster

Just the one Volunteer State monster up for grabs tonight.

PM any questions or to reserve, sound file below.

Prince Conley – I’m going home – Satellite 108 Ex- £750 ON HOLD

Rhythm and Soul of epic proportions.  This attractive label was the pre-cursor for the mighty Stax label, founded in 59 by Jim Stewart, probably of Jimmy & Spartans on release 106, and partner Estelle Axton, later to marry Stewart.  They moved their operation, which was originally named Capitol from Brunswick to Memphis, basing it in an old cinema, but were forced to take on the Satellite title due to a rival on the west coast using Capitol.  

Whilst the day to day production was down to Jim, it was Estelle’s masterstroke to open the Satellite Record Shop as the front for sales, not just their own, but other labels used to draw in punters, maximizing their own.  This coincided with Conley’s output, but is likely to have been propped up by the success of the 102 release, performed by a popular DJ Rufus Thomas and his unrecorded daughter, one Carla Thomas.

Nothing is known of Prince Conley, even after Rob Bowman the author of “Soulsville USA” – The story of Stax Records pleaded in his forward to readers to come forward with any information on Prince Conley to let him know. 

This remains a rare and now in-demand Memphis 45, and when you consider its 1961 issue date, its R&B qualities are well before its time, superb vocals and a killer organ break, which makes a change from the usual horn breaks so common across the genre.  The vinyl, which sports only scattered light marks, plays better at Ex/Ex+.  It’s the labels that have some light grubbiness due to play mat action that forces me to grade it Ex- overall. 

SAT1.jpg.c96e367465ee5eb9b219a08c09aac34e.jpg 425174536_SAT2.jpg.e213fe9dcbbc8bda80359e9cc155c25c.jpg Prince Conley - I'm going home.mp3

PayPal as friends or add 4% please, or I can send bank details.

Postage:

£8.50 – Special Delivery full insurance for 45’s up to £1000

Overseas on request

Cheers, Lee

Edited by Soulfulsolutions
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic