You've Been Cheatin' - The Shell (1966)

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

Another website describes this track as follows:

"A stomping cover of Curtis Mayfield's "You've Been Cheatin'" that had been a Top 40 hit for The Impressions a year earlier. Collectors of rare UK Tamla/Motown-styled material will be frothing at the mouth over the crystalline version of this unreleased acetate from August 1966 that's included here."

Here's the story behind it.

In the 60's I used to see a band that played around Essex and beyond named the Marvin Lois Enterprise. IMHO they were the best white Soul/R&B band around. Obviously not just my opinion as they were picked up by EMI(Columbia) rebranded as The Shell and a single was released. It was a good track but more pop than soul and unfortunately it bombed. No more singles after that.

I remember someone telling me that their producer at Columbia was a very young Tim Rice but I never confirmed that until earlier this year when a CD was released with some of TR's earliest productions on it. And lo and behold there were the 2 sides of The Shell's single and a third unreleased track which is this cover of "You've Been Cheatin'". At last I had one track of this great band sounding how I remembered them.

I just wondered if any of you DJ's is interested in giving it a listen. If it got just one play on the soul/R & B circuit after 40 years in the EMI vaults it would make my day/decade/millenium.

I'm happy to lend the CD to anyone who is interested (U.K. pref)

MB

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I just wondered if any of you DJ's is interested in giving it a listen. If it got just one play on the soul/R & B circuit after 40 years in the EMI vaults it would make my day/decade/millenium.

I'm happy to lend the CD to anyone who is interested (U.K. pref)

MB

Any chance of posting up the tune?

Simon

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Use audiograbber,its free and easy :thumbsup:

Ken

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of this software so look forward to downloading it and giving it a go.

I've already loaned the CD to a forum member so as soon as I have it back will do my best to grab the track and upload it.

MB

Social source share

Ken

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of this software so look forward to downloading it and giving it a go.

I've already loaned the CD to a forum member so as soon as I have it back will do my best to grab the track and upload it.

MB

Cant wait mr Barrett :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 12 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert