Milton Wright - Keep It Up

Heard this tune on "STRANGE GAMES & FUNKY THINGS" (CD) , never heard anything else by this artist even though this is an amazing 70's tune, is it from an album or just a one off 45?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Heard this tune on "STRANGE GAMES & FUNKY THINGS" (CD) , never heard anything else by this artist even though this is an amazing 70's tune, is it from an album or just a one off 45?

It's off his "Brothers and Sisters" LP (although I think there is a release of the lp without this on), and on a 45 on Alston records. Get the issue with "Silence that you keep" on the flip. :rolleyes: It should be about £60 - £80.

Jordi

Social source share

It's off his "Brothers and Sisters" LP (although I think there is a release of the lp without this on), and on a 45 on Alston records. Get the issue with "Silence that you keep" on the flip. :rolleyes: It should be about £60 - £80.

Jordi

Thanks, I'll start hunting wink.gif

Social source share

Friends & Buddies, the LP which contains the classic "Keep It Up", originally came out on Alston in 1975, and it had a (vinyl) reissue some years ago.

There´s another album too, entitled Spaced.

Milton Wright is the brother of better known soul singer Betty Wright!

Best,

Mel

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Milton Wright is the brother of better known soul singer Betty Wright!

Think he was the brother of Phillip Wright who was married too Betty Wright.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I thought both Phillip Wright (of "Keep Her Happy" fame and aka Leno Phillips) and Milton Wright are Betty Wright's brothers?

I recommend getting the album if you can. Every track has similarly unique keyboard arrangements and production values to the single. (The lyrics to the track "Black Man" are so poignant and still relevant). Rightly considered a genuine 70s album classic.

Incidently, I first bought the single in a Wolverhampton second hand record shop for 30p C.1977, but sold it cheap after getting the album 'cos it had a tiny sticker stain on the label! Album was found for £1.99 in an HMV shop sale C.1979/80 - it has the full length version of "Keep It Up". (oo-er missus!)

Incidently, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the superb "Keep Her Happy" of C. Jan.1977 may have been recorded at the same session as Milton Wright's about 18 months earlier(?) anyone know?

PS. Have just read that Milton Wright is now a judge in Boston!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Beeks

Ive got the Album on re-issue so it shouldn't be too hard to pick up...its 'Friends and Buddies' not as mentioned 'Brothers and Sisters' and the Title track is worth a look too. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Ive got the Album on re-issue so it shouldn't be too hard to pick up...its 'Friends and Buddies' not as mentioned 'Brothers and Sisters' and the Title track is worth a look too. :thumbup:

Thanks for that info would it be possible to let me know who has re-issued the album please :yes:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Thanks for that info would it be possible to let me know who has re-issued the album please :wave:

It was reissued a couple of years ago on US green and black Alston label (I think), as opposed to the original brown/yellow mid-70s label, and with a virtually identical shrink wrapped cover. One here @£8.99!

post-4950-1214800618.jpg

https://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=553

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!