Weekenders

...sorry 'early' but, and this is a true question (not in anyway a pop you Mods - I'm on me Final Warning it seems):

Have Weekenders become simply a place for folks to gather and reminisce?

Do they offer the same verve with their rosters and playlists today?

Is there still an urgency there, to educate?

Now, I don't mean 'shove one up' other collectors and jocks by dropping an unknown da di da - I mean a real passionate urgency?

I ask as I don't have much experience of Soul Weekenders of late and am going off my own limited resources ie: Southport (which is, and has been for a while, lacking in real Soul content).

Do Weekenders today offer the correct variety, quality and Va Va Voom that they should, or have they, like SP become simply a weekend whereby people who don't see each other that often (with enough money that is) go to meet up?

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

...sorry 'early' but, and this is a true question (not in anyway a pop you Mods - I'm on me Final Warning it seems):

Now, I don't mean 'shove one up' other collectors and jocks by dropping an unknown da di da - I mean a real passionate urgency?

I ask as I don't have much experience of Soul Weekenders of late and am going off my own limited resources ie: Southport (which is, and has been for a while, lacking in real Soul content).

Do Weekenders today offer the correct variety, quality and Va Va Voom that they should, or have they, like SP become simply a weekend whereby people who don't see each other that often (with enough money that is) go to meet up?

Does anyone really give a shit anymore laugh.gif

Social source share

Does anyone really give a shit anymore laugh.gif

I don't know? Tell me Mossy!

The Weekender thing has come to fruition of late (the last ten years or so) due to the simple fact that peoples working lives don't able them to go out weekly as such, so they have an occasional blow out at 'The Weekender' (Southport, Creamfields, Prestatyn, Lockstock and Two Smokin' Students...wherever).

Now any Weekender costs a bob or two to attend, and some just like football tickets are out of reach to many, true?

What I'm asking is, I think, have Weekenders lowered the musical standards by simply becoming a place whereby meeting up with your 'National' friends holds a greater percentage vote with you and yer missus than the music that is played there?

Does that make sense?

Social source share

I see weekenders as an extension of the All Dayers in the seventies. When Mecca & Wigan were the top clubs in the mid seventies The Ritz All Dayers in Manchester broght the two tribes together - both the DJs & attendees of each venue were there.

Seem to remember that the favourite tunes of the day were played - not really a place to "break" new sounds - more a celebration of what was current. Of course tunes that had been spun the night before were played & that whetted your appetite for the next weekends visits to Blackpool & Wigan.

Weekenders (apart from Southport) do pretty much the same these days - it is a meet up from all across UK & basically have a party.

Think a lot of them are good value for money - noticed Barry that you are planning a weekender in Scotland next year - try to make it as competitively priced as Morecambe which is absolutely FREE!!!!! & has a genuine across the board music policy - Northern-Modern-Jazz Funk-Crossover-Two Step-House & everything else in between.

Social source share

Guest peter burke

"Passionate Urgency" you definately can still find this from European venues, organised and promoted by themselves, both niters and weekenders. The passion on the decks and on the dance floor, and with the fine ovo policies in place, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and others.

Attending these venues doesn't have to be expensive but when you have, the enthusiasm for the music is amazing, pure youthful joy which does rub off.

I would also say UK wise, Lifeline weekenders always delivers musically for me.

KAREN XX

Social source share

"Passionate Urgency" you definately can still find this from European venues, organised and promoted by themselves, both niters and weekenders. The passion on the decks and on the dance floor, and with the fine ovo policies in place, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and others.

Attending these venues doesn't have to be expensive but when you have, the enthusiasm for the music is amazing, pure youthful joy which does rub off.

I would also say UK wise, Lifeline weekenders always delivers musically for me.

KAREN XX

Got to agree with you there Karen, on all points.

The Europeans tend to be a bit younger - many of them tracing their roots back to the mod upturn late 70s / early 80s, some are younger still. No obvious politics or "history" with "W.C" (see I didn't say the actual words), "Oldies versus Newies", "60s v 70s" etc which have dogged the scene here for 30 years. I am sure there are some politics but they don't tend to rise above the surface. In Europe they seem to be grateful to actually have a scene, and it shows. I've DJed in Italy, Germany and Spain and have found every night I've been at has been great....and they all pull together and attend each others events.......easy to do when there's not 30 events on a night I guess......Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!