• Replies 8
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Judging by the catalogue number at 9 O'clock, it's in the Genuine label's 1200 sequence and I would hazard a guess that it's an early to mid 70s issue, and probably legally licensed.

I don't know any other records on Cunity, but there are several Wee Willie (Armour) and the Winners singles on Genuine, so it looks like this is, er, 'Genuine', too.

Fantastic Memphis Soul record, both sides...

I'd be quite interested to know where you acquired it, as I have several Memphis 45s in my own collection that were previously owned by 'L. Voorn'!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Its bell sound stamped, so at a guess it was pressed from the original masters.

Looks like a local reissue - the address is for Handy Brothers Music Publishing Company.

Looking at the style of label - late 60s Psychedelic it could have been released to garner sales on the back of "Natural Soul brother" (1968)

Social source share

Judging by the catalogue number at 9 O'clock, it's in the Genuine label's 1200 sequence and I would hazard a guess that it's an early to mid 70s issue, and probably legally licensed.

I don't know any other records on Cunity, but there are several Wee Willie (Armour) and the Winners singles on Genuine, so it looks like this is, er, 'Genuine', too.

Fantastic Memphis Soul record, both sides...

I'd be quite interested to know where you acquired it, as I have several Memphis 45s in my own collection that were previously owned by 'L. Voorn'!

Tony,

I read the label as Unity.

Was the flip a big record for the deep collectors in Holland? (I know there was a scene there in the 1970s) - if so could this have been a custom reissue for export to Holland?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Funnily enough I was just on the blower to a pal of mine and I mentioned this record and the 'L.Voorn' thing - which is relevant beacuse all of 'L. Voorn's records that I now own were bought in a shop along the Oudegracht in Utrecht.

Said pal also suggested, as you have, that it might be something done for the Surinamese deep soul scene. Makes sense to me.

I've since found details of a record on Cunity but it's in a separate numbering series. I've already forgotten what it;s called - all I know is it didn't sound like a soul record. The more I look at the label, the more I'm coming round to your way of thinking that it's actually Unity, too. The font on the label is definitely very late 60s - early 70s New York....

Social source share

Guest souldraig

Yes I agree, the more I look at it the more it looks like 'Unity' label. I also checked on soulfulkindamusic, they say that it is so. But the release date is a mystery.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert