List 11 - Soul And Funk 45S

Jason S

Welcome to List 11. Hope you’ll agree, some good records on this list and as always, all have at least one soundclip taken direct from the sale copy so you can check out the play standard or acquaint yourself with stuff you don’t know. Look out in due course for a mix featuring some of these and some hangers-on from recent lists: coming soon.

Payment info Paypal is fine to soulstacks@gmail.com or a cheque is also good (UK only) Cash sent concealed and registered is ok if you need to do it that way.

Postage/shipping:
1-3 45s signed for UK — £2.70
––––––––––––––—
1 45 Small Packet Europe — £4 
1-3 45s Small Packet Europe — £5 
1-3 45s Signed For Europe — £11 
–––––––––––––––
1 45 Small Packet Worldwide — £5 
1 45 Signed For Worldwide — £10 
1-3 45s — Signed For Worldwide — £13

PMs or email to soulstacks@gmail.com fine.
Or you can call 07542 148 656

Codes:
funk.jpg Funk/funky 70s/Disco
northern.jpg 60s/Northern/R&B
modern.jpg 70s Modern/X-over

funk.jpg Elaine Armstrong - Sad But True /Precious Minutes - (King) VG++ £100 hear hear
Not trashed or thrashed - a scuff brings this down a grade but it's a firm player. Great King label rarity that only gained wider exposure over the last couple of years. Prices seem to wow and flutter but the quality remains firm.

modern.jpg Tyrone Barkley - Man Of Value /Some Kind Of Wonderful - (Midsong) M- £15 hear
Classic modern room stuff - this has a canny dish in the wax but play isn't affected. 

funk.jpg Bernard Calvin - TLC /Instrumental - (Ambush) M- £15 hear
Under the radar minor key funky soul - good mixtape action that could work across wider forums.

northern.jpg Tony Clarke - Ghetto Man /Love Power - (Chicory) M- £35 hear hear
Hardcore angry thumper of a tune - both sides!

funk.jpg Crisi - Get On Down /Black Foot - (Effie) VG+ £50 hear
Wrighty spin from years agao - kinda ploddy but it's minimalism is it's charm. Scarce record.

funk.jpg Deliverance - Sittin Around /Lovin You - (United Sound) M- £20 hear
That Gil Scott-Heron sounding thing that I've been championing for years. Old find from Shadows way back when. Fab record. 

funk.jpg Distance - Get, Get On Down /Paradise - (M.O.D) M- £50 hear
Recent excavation that's got all the right elements for the 70s funky soul crowd. 

modern.jpg Eddie Giles & The Numbers - Sexy Lady /Jelly Roll - (Custom Sound) EX £15 hear
Bustling  up[tempo 70's Modern soul at its best - kind of a forgotten biggie from back the day. Sounds good now.

northern.jpg Ola V Harper - I Wanna Weep /Resisting - (Jewel) M- £40 hear
Really good Peppermint Harris production from '65 - kinda bluesy, dark and moody sister soul.

northern.jpg The Herbs - There Must Be An Answer /Put A Hurting On My Heart - (Smoke) M- £20 hear
Fantastic George Blackwell produced late 60s northern - everything in place to make it a dancefloor bomb.

funk.jpg Hot Earth Band - Hard Times /Loneliness - (Rekan) M- £25 hear
Not sure where this is from but this somewhat forgotten mid-late 70s sounding funk cut could do well with a reactivation.

funk.jpg I.U Soul Revue - Tell Me About It /This Lonely Room - (Afro-American Arts Institute) VG+ £40 hear
The IU Soul Revue was founded in 1971, with ethnomusicologist Portia K. Maultsby appointed as the ensemble’s first director. For more than 40 years the "Revue" has wowed its local audience and audiences across the country with dynamic performances of timeless R&B, Soul, Funk, and contemporary Black popular music styles delivered by its commanding male and female vocal ensemble, powerful horn line, and tight rhythm section. Taken from the Afro-American Arts Institute website. 

funk.jpg Kings Go Forth - Don't Take My Shadow /Instrumental - (Mr C) M- £5 hear
Why the hell this wasn't as big a sound as their first 45 is a mystery: that Ebony Stones vibe is there right from the off, it's got a huge, well produced groove and the tune sticks like an earworm. Seen at £50 in recent times, I've got original stock on this so get in.

northern.jpg Lil & Rene - Keep A Lite  /Tennessee Waltz - (Reprise) M- £15 hear
RnB meets gospel in a pulpit somewhere down south. Iinfectious groove on this H.B Barnum production.

modern.jpg Lovemakers - When You're Next To Me /When You're Next To Me - (Island (W/L)) M- £10 hear
Strong 70s modern obscurity on a big label is the next avenue for diggers: here's a great example.

modern.jpg Marie Queenie Lyons - See and Don't See /Daddy's House - (Deluxe) EX £45 hear
Nailed on classic. You all know this one. I'm convinced this is the copy I sold about 10 years ago, come back full circle. 4 light clicks near the intro don't spoil the quality of the experience. Dreamy goodness.

funk.jpg Rappers - Krunchberry Beast /I've Tried - (Roach (Re)) M- £40 hear hear northern.jpg

Early 2000s repress of this always hard to locate funk/sweet soul rarity. Both sides smash it. Even the repro has commanded top dollar in the past. We sold this as a new reissue at Soul Brother when it first appeared. Can't really walk into a shop and buy them box fresh anymore.

funk.jpg Tom Sanders - Jammin' In The Big M Town /Doing Bad - (Portra) Ex (Slt Warp Dnap) £25 hear
Decent boogie out of Memphis - guess that's the Big 'M' Town he's singing about. 

funk.jpg Tom Sanders - I'll Get To That /Giving My Love Away - (Portra) Ex (Slt Warp Dnap) £50 hear
Discogs doesn't know this one, three others of his are listed but this seems to be omitted (scurries off and adds it) This finds Tom in familiar disco/boogie territory belting out another gem. Flip is a slightly wobbly ballad.

modern.jpg T.U.M.E - Love Shortage /Love Shortage - (Mgm) M- £15 hear
The Ultimate Musical Experience' were a Bobby Eli produced group out of the West Coast. 'Love Shortage' is one of those well constructed, well produced 

modern.jpg Emanuel Taylor - You Really Got A Hold On Me  /Society - (Bernard) Ex £200 hear
Monster two-sider: 'You Really Got A Hold On Me' is the - for want of a better phrase - '70s northern' side while 'Society' is a familiar tale of 1970s America. So good.

modern.jpg Robert Taylor - Hot Lady /Time Keeps Ticking By - (Lutall) M- £20 hear
Driving West Coast dancefloor number in the form of 'Hot Lady' backed with a perfect crossover flip. Two-fer!

northern.jpg The Tempos - Don't Leave /I Need You - (Riley's) EX £20 hear
Stunning mid-tempo crossover from Detroit. Sounds like mid-60s perfection.

modern.jpg Ed Terry  - Don't Let That Love Pass You By /All I Want To Do - (ST Records Inc) M- £75 hear
Hard record out of New York, from 1976, the top side is an under-discovered dancefloor burner while the flip show signs of a JR Bailey influence. Good one.

funk.jpg Tomorrow's Edition - Be Real /Be Real - (Gang (W/L)) EX £25 hear
Maybe one of the lesser known cuts by this great outfit, this is a kind of 'message' song that fits the 70s funky soul thing perfectly.

modern.jpg Truth - Touch Me /Coming Home - (Devaki) M- £20 hear
Such a good two-sider, been championing this for years. Never gets old. Had a lot of interest a short while back and rightly so.

funk.jpg United 8 - Gettin Up Town (To Get Down) /Ain't It Good - (Atlantic (Demo)) VG++ £40 hear
Classic rare groove type sound, one my early 'big wants' - think I actually bought this and Tony Avlon together that day! Must've been 'buy 45s on Atlantic' day…

northern.jpg Vibrating Vibrations - Surprise Party For Baby /Right On Brother - Right On - (Neptune) VG £25 hear
Classic feel good northern favourite with a roughed up funky flip. Conservative VG grade - not deep scratches and plays loud and clear.

funk.jpg Shirlean Williams & The Tempos Band  - Ease It To Me  /This Is A Song  - (El Virtue ) VG+ £250 hear
One of my favourite sister funk tunes, you get two hits in oone here: that break beaty type 'This Is A Song' with its tricky rhythm is well balanced by the 'Doobie Brothers' intro of 'Ease It To Me'. Quality North Carolina rarity written by bassist Nolla Mainor. True sister funk all the way here! Vinyl has quite few light marks but they don't affect play.

modern.jpg Wreckin Crew - You Don't Care /Found The Groove - (Star Ville) M- £25 hear
Another record I've had for years and much nicer to own the nice vinyl Starville issue than the styrene Newman cut. Great record. 

Two limited new releases

Nicole Willis/Ebony Evans - You Got Me Moonwalking /Loving You Is All I Wanna Do - (Oslo Soul Experience) New £8.50 hear hear
10 years of Oslo Soul Experience celebrated with this limited issue 45. Two strong sides on a 7" destined to sink into collections worldwide. Awesome.

Lady L - Tonite /Loves Master Plan - (Boogie Back) New £8 hear hear
Hyper limited UK 7" single featuring the writing talents of G.C Cameron and Ernie McKone among others. Faultless modern soul (in the proper sense of the word) you get two sides of well produced, well written grooves that tip a wink to old school values whilst still being of its time. Not got many of these now.

Great new limited Modern Soul 45 (as above)

Wanted to highlight a really good new Modern Soul 45 that I know a lot of you have already bought from me but some may not have heard yet. Super limited and I don’t have many left so dive in if you want it. It’s by Lady L (a.k.a Linda Dixon who recently tied the knot with none other than the legendary G.C Cameron) and the record is a collaboration between the two plus a couple of the UK’s best songwriters and performers. It’s already caused a real stir on the Modern Soul scene and will be the sort of thing that a wider audience will want when they can no longer buy one (easily, or for eight quid!) 

…and on the subject of new music, check out the great Nicole Willis/Ebony Evans 45, issued to celebrate the Oslo Soul Experience’s 10th anniversary. At the time of this list going out these are winging their way to me so if you want one it’ll be mid-week I guess, before I get them: well worth the wait, though.

Lastly, having another crack at a t-shirt. This time only 10 needed to be signed up for in order for the order to go in, plus they're cheaper at $12.50. Check this link for more info
Edited by Jason S
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 1
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source