Barbara Hall

Guest andyrattigan

Guest andyrattigan

I bought a copy of Barbara Hall- You Brought it on yourself.

I thought it was the original on Innovation records but someone said that it looks like a boot.

However this chap isnt into soul and so would appreciate some other opinions.

Its on Innovation records and has a green label. Does this seem like the original? Are there identical boots?

Any guidelines to tell the differences between boots and originals? I have been into the music for years and buy on any format but lately I am getting fussy and am becoming more of a collector.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I thought it was the original on Innovation records but someone said that it looks like a boot.

However this chap isnt into soul and so would appreciate some other opinions.

Its on Innovation records and has a green label. Does this seem like the original? Are there identical boots?

Any guidelines to tell the differences between boots and originals? I have been into the music for years and buy on any format but lately I am getting fussy and am becoming more of a collector.

Any help appreciated.

Was never booted, but was pressed at several pressing plants

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

The label on Barbara Hall does look pretty cheap in comparison to those others in the series that were pressed at other plants. (Ebony Rhythm Funk Campaign, for example.) I think they're all originals though.

"Drop my heart off at the door" is a fantastic side, but is ruined by a mawkish spoken intro, in the same way as Laura Lee's otherwise superb "Since I fell for you". (Maybe it's just me that finds these intros spine-twistlingly bad.)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Nah. The record was manufactured with at least two label designs, one looks like The Quadrophonics etc., the other a simpler design in plain green with black type. I'd be astonished if this record had been bootlegged, as it was heavily imported as a new US release in 1975 and gained a UK release on EMI International. Only played at the Mecca, as far as I know.

Both sides are ace recordings, and I personally like the spoken intro to "Drop My Heart Off At The Door" (there's a great version by Ben E. King too, but not quite as fabulous as Barbara's superb reading!)

Sam Dees Rules O.K.!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert